The Official Beat the University of North Texas Mean Green Eagles Thread

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Personally, I think VCU needed a game like that prior to playing LSU. There was absolutely no way to hide/ignore the warts from the North Texas game, which will make it easier for the coaching staff to address those warts between now and Wednesday. When you are ranked, you are going to be the hunted every game. VCU needs to be "A Game" ready to play every night.

With that said, I think you could also tell it was Vince Williams first game of the season. He struggled at times Friday night, just as the rest of the team did against St. Francis in their first game of the season. Hopefully, he knocked off some of the rust Friday night and will be ready to roll Wednesday night.
I agree, the team learns more from games like this versus blow outs against NC A&T.

Reactions: MobileMunchies
Feb 14, 2011
If I may, a few things stand out as I read through on a Sunday morning...

NT isn't a great team nor do they stink. However they are an upper-half C-USA team, which means they have good players. We didn't play well, but they were never going to be a pushover.

Also, any coach with half a brain gameplans to stop your most effective offense. You will have to beat them with your second-best thing. That's exactly what NT did...didn't allow us room to drive nor pitch in to MSS. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we hit 10-26 from three and other than the usual D that's why we won.

Related, you don't break down a sagging defense by throwing it inside/out. Putting MSS on the block makes the problem worse. You have to move a defense like that side-to-side to create gaps. Yes the VCU bigs were on the perimeter, but when the ball went weak side they flashed to the post, and then back out. You have to break down a sagging defense.

The common theme is something someone else mentioned somewhere in here: there are multiple ways to get the ball where we want it, inside or out. But we have to hit threes to be successful. It's a must-have. It's why I station Crowfield in the short corner and instruct him to be shot-ready every time down the floor.

And finally, if we play like that Wednesday we will lose. We have to play better.

EDIT: someone asked my bourbon of choice. It was Angel's Envy. I'm not well-educated, but I have a great advisor.
THANK YOU 100X. People saying NT isn't good and isn't well coached needs to take those black & gold glasses off. I believe they could be a top 3 CUSA. Sure we didn't play well at all but for a good part of that game they were winning the chess match part of the game.

Whoooosh

Insider
Apr 19, 2009
????
So, you think the freshman at ur (or Fordham, LaSalle, fill in the blank, etc.) have trouble adapting to the noise level at their place? Maybe the snores...
I think what they meant was there's an adjustment for almost all players moving from high school to college. Aside from some of the most notorious prep schools, playing in college is far different than playing in high school, especially if you're there on a scholarship. There are expectations from far more than just your parents, friends and coaches. You're representing a school that is allowing you to play there because they want you there, and if you don't perform you may not be there the next year.

Also, most high school games aren't televised, but players know that most college games will be on TV - that can also add pressure. Being a freshman on a college basketball team, particularly one that has gotten notoriety over the last decade and is nationally ranked, is far different than being on a varsity basketball squad at one of the many local high schools in any given area.

Reactions: rams3fan

Ramikin

Top Member
Insider
Sep 5, 2016
Got to love today’s world where great proclamations are made after some 18-22 year old kids played their 2nd game of the season.

Some suggest NT will fight for the CUSA title while others suggest they will be a middle of the pack. I watch a lot of college basketball, but outside of ODU, I don’t pay much attention to CUSA. I doubt many of us really pay much attention to CUSA. I have absolutely no idea how North Texas will fare this year in CUSA. They have some decent size and length. They have some talent, but they are certainly not a top 75 team. Should we have handled them easier? Perhaps, but we got a win and the staff can point out all of the correctable errors we made. Better to do so in victory than in defeat.

Being outscored by 8 at home in the 2nd half of the 2nd game is not a “bad sign“. It is one 20-minute half of basketball. A half in which we shot poorly and committed too many turnovers. We shot great in the first half, but had too many turnovers, or the lead would have been 15 to 20 points at the half. The biggest problem we have through two games is turnovers. Most of them haven’t been because of the fast pace of play. Rather they have been because guys are forcing things and not making the simple play. Again, all correctable.

Bottom line is that we haven’t played our best, not even close, but we are 2-0. Both SFU and NT will likely in the top 125-200 of the NET, I think/hope. One thing that helped our SOS last season was mostly avoiding the bottom 150 of the NET in non-conference.

I am certainly not a Pollyanna. We can’t play against LSU as we did against NT, or we will get beaten. However, it is too early in the season to be worried about VCU, especially after a WIN.
I’m not ready to make any great proclamations just yet. We agree with each other. We’re not playing as well as we could and if we don’t make some serious adjustments by Wednesday, well...

Not to say there aren’t some bright spots. There are. I hope they harden into concrete. ME 5 of 8 from three. De’Riante looks better than ever, and of course MSS is poised for a breakout year.

I also think it’s worth pointing out that we didn’t rely on ME drawing fouls to produce the win. Last year, too often, when baskets dried up, Evans would crash into the lane and get to the line, only after they scraped him off the floor with a spatula. I’m sure y’all remember cringing every time he got up slow. IV too.

they can and will get it done. I’m just hoping we can rack up some substantial wins early, stay ranked, stay healthy.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
I'm surprised Ward didn't get any minutes in this one or we didn't have two natural bigs in at once. We had exactly the same number of rebounds both offensively and defensively as NT. We had a huge length advantage but didn't maximize on it.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
I don’t know how good NT is, but they certainly knew where to hit us. They successfully shut us down in the paint: 26 pts to our 10.

They didn’t out rebound us but they made their offensive rebounds count, scoring 16 second chance points to our 7. They also produced more points off their bench: 20 to 14.

Looking at these first two games, if there’s been any offensive improvement, I don’t see it. With a team loaded with seniors, yes, I’d expect at least some continuity coming into this season. With 19 and 18 turnovers respectively, our first two showings out of the gate, our offense, if anything, has regressed. We kept St. Francis at arms length at least., but allowing NT to out score us by 8 points in the second half is a very bad sign.

After last season, our offensive deficiencies were in flashing neon. As much as I hate to say it, I can’t help wondering if they were addressed at all in the off season.
LOL

Reactions: Ramikin

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
North Texas didn't look that good to me. Just another average C-USA team, actually.

With this many seniors starting, I'm worried about how we've looked these first two games against teams that aren't anywhere close to the top-100. If we don't see some real improvement, Wednesday night is going to be ugly.
How much money you want to bet that North Texas ends up in the top 100? I'll put $100 right now if you tell me when and where to meet.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
If I may, a few things stand out as I read through on a Sunday morning...

NT isn't a great team nor do they stink. However they are an upper-half C-USA team, which means they have good players. We didn't play well, but they were never going to be a pushover.

Also, any coach with half a brain gameplans to stop your most effective offense. You will have to beat them with your second-best thing. That's exactly what NT did...didn't allow us room to drive nor pitch in to MSS. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we hit 10-26 from three and other than the usual D that's why we won.

Related, you don't break down a sagging defense by throwing it inside/out. Putting MSS on the block makes the problem worse. You have to move a defense like that side-to-side to create gaps. Yes the VCU bigs were on the perimeter, but when the ball went weak side they flashed to the post, and then back out. You have to break down a sagging defense.

The common theme is something someone else mentioned somewhere in here: there are multiple ways to get the ball where we want it, inside or out. But we have to hit threes to be successful. It's a must-have. It's why I station Crowfield in the short corner and instruct him to be shot-ready every time down the floor.

And finally, if we play like that Wednesday we will lose. We have to play better.

EDIT: someone asked my bourbon of choice. It was Angel's Envy. I'm not well-educated, but I have a great advisor.
Interesting take on inside game.....I had read on here we didn’t throw it inside because Mike just didn’t feel like doing that during this game.....thought for sure that had to be the reason ....:shock:..silly me;)

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
I think they are pretty solid, but top 100 gives me pause and I love a good bet. Hmmmm, want to do $50 in case the other guy wants in? We are both around here enough, no concerns on holding the cash on my end.....

If so—are we saying ranking as of selection sunday? Net or KP or other.....not yours though 😎

Reactions: Havoc City

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I think they are pretty solid, but top 100 gives me pause and I love a good bet. Hmmmm, want to do $50 in case the other guy wants in? We are both around here enough, no concerns on holding the cash on my end.....

If so—are we saying ranking as of selection sunday? Net or KP or other.....not yours though 😎
NET.

Ramikin

Top Member
Insider
Sep 5, 2016
How much money you want to bet that North Texas ends up in the top 100? I'll put $100 right now if you tell me when and where to meet.
They failed to beat a team who committed 18 turnovers and shot 37% form the floor? That’s the stuff of the top 100?

Dude. Don’t do this.