The Official Beat the University of North Texas Mean Green Eagles Thread

connell

Top Member
Aug 19, 2015
I think they are pretty solid, but top 100 gives me pause and I love a good bet. Hmmmm, want to do $50 in case the other guy wants in? We are both around here enough, no concerns on holding the cash on my end.....

If so—are we saying ranking as of selection sunday? Net or KP or other.....not yours though 😎
I'm in.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
How many times have we seen lesser teams give more talented teams fits because their style of play? That's why gauging how good we are based on how bad we should've beaten North Texas is probably not a sensible direction to go. We got the win, that's what's important. We have some things we need to work on. That would've been the case even if we blew them out.

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
If I may, a few things stand out as I read through on a Sunday morning...

NT isn't a great team nor do they stink. However they are an upper-half C-USA team, which means they have good players. We didn't play well, but they were never going to be a pushover.

Also, any coach with half a brain gameplans to stop your most effective offense. You will have to beat them with your second-best thing. That's exactly what NT did...didn't allow us room to drive nor pitch in to MSS. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we hit 10-26 from three and other than the usual D that's why we won.

Related, you don't break down a sagging defense by throwing it inside/out. Putting MSS on the block makes the problem worse. You have to move a defense like that side-to-side to create gaps. Yes the VCU bigs were on the perimeter, but when the ball went weak side they flashed to the post, and then back out. You have to break down a sagging defense.

The common theme is something someone else mentioned somewhere in here: there are multiple ways to get the ball where we want it, inside or out. But we have to hit threes to be successful. It's a must-have. It's why I station Crowfield in the short corner and instruct him to be shot-ready every time down the floor.

And finally, if we play like that Wednesday we will lose. We have to play better.

EDIT: someone asked my bourbon of choice. It was Angel's Envy. I'm not well-educated, but I have a great advisor.
All makes sense but Vegas did think they would be a pushover. -16 as i recall.

Reactions: Love2Ram and Newboy

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
I think they are pretty solid, but top 100 gives me pause and I love a good bet. Hmmmm, want to do $50 in case the other guy wants in? We are both around here enough, no concerns on holding the cash on my end.....

If so—are we saying ranking as of selection sunday? Net or KP or other.....not yours though 😎
Sure, I'll do the other $50. Should the three of us meet at one of the games to shake hands on it, or is the message board good enough? If the former, let's pick a night other than LSU. I intend to focus all of my energy on booing the s out of that weasel.

• Haha
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
May 3, 2012
I think what they meant was there's an adjustment for almost all players moving from high school to college. Aside from some of the most notorious prep schools, playing in college is far different than playing in high school, especially if you're there on a scholarship. There are expectations from far more than just your parents, friends and coaches. You're representing a school that is allowing you to play there because they want you there, and if you don't perform you may not be there the next year.

Also, most high school games aren't televised, but players know that most college games will be on TV - that can also add pressure. Being a freshman on a college basketball team, particularly one that has gotten notoriety over the last decade and is nationally ranked, is far different than being on a varsity basketball squad at one of the many local high schools in any given area.
I get that.
My point was couple that with the amount of noise that these players have never heard coming at them. It shakes them up and we're doing it to our own.

vcu70

Top Member
Apr 5, 2009
Seems some are more concerned about booing a coach than the five players we need to beat. Booing will get us 0 points but make you feel so much better. Maybe you can turn the corner emotionally.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Seems some are more concerned about booing a coach than the five players we need to beat. Booing will get us 0 points but make you feel so much better. Maybe you can turn the corner emotionally.
It's easy to play the game you're playing:

It also seems that some are more concerned about calling out a fan base for booing a coach than the five players we need to beat. Calling out a fan base will get us 0 points but make you feel so much better. Maybe [now that you've posted] you can turn the corner emotionally.

May 4, 2012
But it is sports. Just this weekend Nebraska lost to Southern Utah, Pitt last to Nicholls State, and Northwestern lost to Merrimack.
Point was MGL said "nobody thought". Somebody did think. Obviously they are wrong from time to time.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I'm surprised Ward didn't get any minutes in this one or we didn't have two natural bigs in at once. We had exactly the same number of rebounds both offensively and defensively as NT. We had a huge length advantage but didn't maximize on it.
Both Santos-Silva and Douglas were in the game at the same time at least once in the second half.

Reactions: duncanlamb