The Official Beat the University of North Texas Mean Green Eagles Thread

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
I'm sort of interested in this bet but CUSA is such a crapshoot. Reckon I'll stick to being a fly on the wall.

Reactions: VCU94MCV98

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Point was MGL said "nobody thought". Somebody did think. Obviously they are wrong from time to time.
My reading comprehension is not the best. When did he say "nobody thought?"
If I may, a few things stand out as I read through on a Sunday morning...

NT isn't a great team nor do they stink. However they are an upper-half C-USA team, which means they have good players. We didn't play well, but they were never going to be a pushover.

Also, any coach with half a brain gameplans to stop your most effective offense. You will have to beat them with your second-best thing. That's exactly what NT did...didn't allow us room to drive nor pitch in to MSS. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we hit 10-26 from three and other than the usual D that's why we won.

Related, you don't break down a sagging defense by throwing it inside/out. Putting MSS on the block makes the problem worse. You have to move a defense like that side-to-side to create gaps. Yes the VCU bigs were on the perimeter, but when the ball went weak side they flashed to the post, and then back out. You have to break down a sagging defense.

The common theme is something someone else mentioned somewhere in here: there are multiple ways to get the ball where we want it, inside or out. But we have to hit threes to be successful. It's a must-have. It's why I station Crowfield in the short corner and instruct him to be shot-ready every time down the floor.

And finally, if we play like that Wednesday we will lose. We have to play better.

EDIT: someone asked my bourbon of choice. It was Angel's Envy. I'm not well-educated, but I have a great advisor.

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
How much money you want to bet that North Texas ends up in the top 100? I'll put $100 right now if you tell me when and where to meet.
I'm guessing the reason you aren't responding is because you now realize that the vaulted North Texas team is not anywhere close to being a top-100 squad.

By the way, they're currently losing to Arkansas 61-39 with 2 minutes to play.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
I'm guessing the reason you aren't responding is because you now realize that the vaulted North Texas team is not anywhere close to being a top-100 squad.

Top 100 of kenpom? I'd probably take that bet. Did you watch the Arkansas game?

Mar 2, 2014

Ouch.

VCU_Redskins

Top Member
Dec 5, 2013

Top 100 of kenpom? I'd probably take that bet. Did you watch the Arkansas game?
Soooo who's betting against fUK?

They obviously don't deserve to be top 25 after losing to a cupcake at home.

• Haha
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
How much money you want to bet that North Texas ends up in the top 100? I'll put $100 right now if you tell me when and where to meet.
I have a feeling you're going to squelch on this bet. Your amazing North Texas team lost at home on Saturday night to Eastern Michigan. They're now 1-3 for the year.

Reactions: Valley drop step

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I have a feeling you're going to squelch on this bet. Your amazing North Texas team lost at home on Saturday night to Eastern Michigan. They're now 1-3 for the year.
Just saw this because I have a life outside of these message boards. If you were really only interested in the bet instead of beating your chest in front an audience, you could have DM'd me. I would have received a notification on my phone and responded. I would have certainly taken the bet a week ago, but I'm glad I didn't because I was wrong about them (at least at this stage of the season).

Reactions: duncanlamb

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Just saw this because I have a life outside of these message boards. If you were really only interested in the bet instead of beating your chest in front an audience, you could have DM'd me. I would have received a notification on my phone and responded. I would have certainly taken the bet a week ago, but I'm glad I didn't because I was wrong about them (at least at this stage of the season).
Hmm...that might be the most self-delusional post on these boards, and I've been reading Celticguy for years!

1. By saying you have a life outside these boards, you're perhaps implying I don't, right? Well, you've posted 4,473 times, and I've posted 1,325.
2. You say I should've DM'd you, but you're forgetting that when you first offered to bet me $100, a rather aggressive move on your part I might add, you didn't DM me. You wrote it on the public forum, which led me to believe that you wanted our conversation to occur on the public forum. If you wanted the issue to stay private, you should've DM'd me first.
3. You offered to make the bet, I accepted, and now that you can see how wrong you originally were, you're backing out. While I'm glad you're no longer ridiculously arguing North Texas is a top-100 team, you are, unfortunately, a squelcher.

For these reasons, I'm going to continue to make fun of you for the rest of the year. I'll stop if and when you apologize for your behavior. As you are someone who knows very little about basketball, makes bets they won't stand behind, and tries to throw someone else under the bus instead of accepting responsibility for their own poor decisions, I doubt that will happen.

Go Rams!

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Hmm...that might be the most self-delusional post on these boards, and I've been reading Celticguy for years!

1. By saying you have a life outside these boards, you're perhaps implying I don't, right? Well, you've posted 4,473 times, and I've posted 1,325.
2. You say I should've DM'd you, but you're forgetting that when you first offered to bet me $100, a rather aggressive move on your part I might add, you didn't DM me. You wrote it on the public forum, which led me to believe that you wanted our conversation to occur on the public forum. If you wanted the issue to stay private, you should've DM'd me first.
3. You offered to make the bet, I accepted, and now that you can see how wrong you originally were, you're backing out. While I'm glad you're no longer ridiculously arguing North Texas is a top-100 team, you are, unfortunately, a squelcher.

For these reasons, I'm going to continue to make fun of you for the rest of the year. I'll stop if and when you apologize for your behavior. As you are someone who knows very little about basketball, makes bets they won't stand behind, and tries to throw someone else under the bus instead of accepting responsibility for their own poor decisions, I doubt that will happen.

Go Rams!
I already told you I was wrong about UNT. You were right. I'm lucky I didn't see your post til now and make the bet because I'd be out $100.

I'll tell ya what, though. I could go for $25 still even though I'll almost definitely lose.

As for making fun of me....okay? Owning people online is not that great. But if it makes you feel good. Sure?

• Love

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
I already told you I was wrong about UNT. You were right. I'm lucky I didn't see your post til now and make the bet because I'd be out $100.

I'll tell ya what, though. I could go for $25 still even though I'll almost definitely lose.

As for making fun of me....okay? Owning people online is not that great. But if it makes you feel good. Sure?
Nah. Why would I bet someone after they already squelched on a bet? You should do the honorable thing, though, and donate $100 to the charity of your choice. It might help you get rid of the bad karma you've accumulated on this thread.

Go Rams!