The Official Beat the University of North Texas Mean Green Eagles Thread

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
How is it funny? Did you watch the games that I mentioned? They played each team close so the only conclusion is that they are tough or the teams I mentioned played poorly.
Over the years, I've noticed a tendency on this message board that whenever we play a bad to average team and only manage to beat them by a close margin, our fans can't just admit that we didn't play very well. Instead, we have to act like the other team is actually a lot better than advertised. It has happened every single year, and this year is no exception. North Texas is currently 2-5, and in the preseason poll, C-USA coached voted them 7th in the league. They're not a good team. They're not a tough team. And they're not going to compete to win the C-USA this year. It's okay to admit this. Sometimes we're going to struggle against mediocre teams. It's college basketball. Anything can happen.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
Over the years, I've noticed a tendency on this message board that whenever we play a bad to average team and only manage to beat them by a close margin, our fans can't just admit that we didn't play very well. Instead, we have to act like the other team is actually a lot better than advertised. It has happened every single year, and this year is no exception. North Texas is currently 2-5, and in the preseason poll, C-USA coached voted them 7th in the league. They're not a good team. They're not a tough team. And they're not going to compete to win the C-USA this year. It's okay to admit this. Sometimes we're going to struggle against mediocre teams. It's college basketball. Anything can happen.
Gotcha. I was referencing a 3 game look at them. I wondered if after the VCU game if they were decent or not. They played close games with Rhody and Utah State who in my opinion are pretty good teams.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I'm one of those. But it's also possible for acknowledge a team came here to our environment facing our team, and played out of their minds stepping up to a big plate, too, especially this year when this is a ranked team which every team wants as a trophy on their season stats. Our team not having played well is by default not the first thing I lean toward. I know what I see in there watching live. I know hustle when I see it, a good shot when I see it, and yeah, Ima point it out when I see it.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

ashlandram

Insider
Dec 27, 2011
Not sure how accurate preseason polls are. What were we picked last year? I think there are other variables that dictate how well we play or how well other teams play us. Often times match ups and style of play factor into how well a team with less talent competes. I can remember when Shaka's havoc would be totally ineffective if we played a team with three good ball handling guards or a big man or two who could handle the ball. I can't help but think North Texas has a decent ball club when they played us, Rhode Island and Utah State tough. Maybe they suck or are a cupcake as I've read on here in an earlier post, but we had our hands full the night we played them.

Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
There’s a difference between arguing sports and just being a**holes. Thanks for making my point.
Well aren't we calling the kettle black. Thanks for letting me pull that old cliche out of the closet.