The Official Beat the Vanderbilt Commodores at the Stu Thread

2012Ram

Elite Member
Ummm, yes. When one points out how important Ace is, one gets accused of making excuses for the coaching staff. You can see several posts in the Kennesaw State thread, but you know that already.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no. When one points out that ace being out is the only reason we almost lost at home to a bottomfeeding ASUN team and the coaching staff deserves credit for pulling one out against them, they get accused of making excuses for the coaching staff. But you know that already.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
Bravo Siegel center crowd. Honestly, my chest hurts and throat is sore, sore lower back and neck, my FACE hurts... my game-going friend was hoarse as all get out, and kat and I have ears ringing right now. Yall who saw it on tv might not know but that joint was IN SANE towards the end of the game, the place was LIT

HBK

Elite Member
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no. When one points out that ace being out is the only reason we almost lost at home to a bottomfeeding ASUN team and the coaching staff deserves credit for pulling one out against them, they get accused of making excuses for the coaching staff. But you know that already.
No one said it was the only reason. Some folks, like me, said it was the main reason.

Also, I believe credit was given primarily to the players, with an acknowledgment that the coaching staff made some adjustments in the second half.

You say you don’t want me and others talking down, which is absolutely 100% fair, but then I’d ask that you actually read and quote accurately.

Feel free to go back and look at every post from the Kennesaw State game if you wish, but I’m going to bed now. How about we both just enjoy this win and move on. Have a restful evening. Peace.

VCU_Redskins

Elite Member
VCU > Van FG%
VCU > Van 3p%
VCU = Van DefR
VCU > Van Steals
VCU > Van Blocks
VCU < Van TOs

Lost OffR 7:9, FT% 68:75, Assists 8:12

2012Ram

Elite Member
No one said it was the only reason. Some folks, like me, said it was the main reason.

Also, I believe credit was given primarily to the players, with an acknowledgment that the coaching staff made some adjustments in the second half.

You say you don’t want me and others talking down, which is absolutely 100% fair, but then I’d ask that you actually read and quote accurately.

Feel free to go back and look at every post from the Kennesaw State game if you wish, but I’m going to bed now. How about we both just enjoy this win and move on. Have a restful evening. Peace.
Weasel words are for cowards. Hide behind context and nuance all you want, but that was very clearly the meaning of your posts. "Oh I didn't say he was the only reason, just the main one, and I didn't say our staff deserves credit, just some credit, SO READ WHAT I SAY AND QUOTE ME ACCURATELY!!!11!!" lol.

Are you starting to catch on to your own bullpoop yet, or do you need me to keep pointing it out?

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
And that is why some of us point out that not having him available is a major reason we struggle. That’s not to suggest things are perfect, but Ace is a difference maker, and not everyone has one on their team.
You know I love the VCU coaches and the players BUT in my opinion coach needs to stagger his combos. The combo he put in after the timeout at 12 minutes was no bueno. I looked at my friend and said, this lead is about to evaporate. Gotta have either Ace, Nunn, Watkins or Johns on the floor with subs.

BradRamFan

Elite Member
I think the team is slowly progressing. But we do lack consistency. But with all the new players joining the team and players that only got limited minutes last year/or injured, I pretty much expect this type of team. Basically we will have our ups and downs. Still, 5-2 with our starting pg out for several games and a starting forward (Watkins) out for a game, I thought we weathered the storm pretty well considering the teams we played - including the winner of the NYC tournament in AzSt. We need to continue to put things together over our next 6 games and get ready for our conference schedule. Unfortunately I hate to say it, but we are likely to have that scratch your head hiccup game before January rolls around. But it will help to kick ourselves in the butt and pull together even more.
Nunn gets 24 on one night and then zip the next. Zeb seems to shot well but doesn't get full minutes.....but he is basically a freshman and probably is working on getting better on defense. Johns is probably being targeted in scouting reports due to playing for a P5 and being a 5th year player.
JJ does well when he is playing defense...had 6 rebs along with a really nice assist (he's thrown that pass before and it's beautiful) but he also gets very frustrated and doesn't play well offensively away from the basket at this time.....his dribbling is weak and thus not a great back to the basket player. But he is only a sophomore and likely needs to work on that part of his game. He has skills but his frustration really hurts him.
I don't mind Shriver taking 5 shots a game but he can't be shooting airballs. He will put together a big shooting game at some point but right now I think he is still working on transitioning to playing for a higher quality team.
I think Kern is sort of like Banks as far as getting minutes. I think he has another year before he begins to really show up or could be like Curry and wait until his senior year. But he does have game in little spurts. But I think this year will help both him and Banks if they both continue to get 10-15 minutes a game.
Tobi gave us great minutes today. He is putting his limited skill set to very good use. I say limited because he is still learning and his skill set will continue to expand and grow greatly. I only wish JJ would follow suite and use his greatest assets/skillsets and not get frustrated when he has mistakes with his weaker skills.
As I expected, Fermin is not player ready like everyone said this summer. He is raw and will need to work on his game. Nonetheless, I can see him having a good junior year and even better senior year if he continues to work on his game. I see the same for Tobi. But Tobi already has the foot movement finesse.
And as far as Ace? Ace is Ace. )

HBK

Elite Member
You know I love the VCU coaches and the players BUT in my opinion coach needs to stagger his combos. The combo he put in after the timeout at 12 minutes was no bueno. I looked at my friend and said, this lead is about to evaporate. Gotta have either Ace, Nunn, Watkins or Johns on the floor with subs.
Agreed. It may be the one you‘ve just mentioned, but I wondered where the offense would come from with that group on the floor.

If we had shot 70%+ from FT line this game would have never been in doubt last 10 min. I don’t understand why something so basic, and not requiring athleticism, is so hard for us? Many areas of positive improvement but FT shooting still bothers me.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Agreed. It may be the one you‘ve just mentioned, but I wondered where the offense would come from with that group on the floor.
I happens quite often where some combos have little offensive fire power. He always has to have Ace or Nunn or Watkins or Johns on the floor.