The Official Beat the Vanderbilt Commodores at the Stu Thread

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Actually that's pretty much been our pattern. JRod backed up Maynor for two years. Theus backed up JRod for two years. JeQuan backed up Weber for two years.
That was our pattern, but playing time and the transfer portal has changed that mentality. I’d be hard pressed to believe a quality point guard recruit would be open to being a backup for two years. Maybe you can find a diamond in the rough (i.e. Bri) though.

DNB

Elite Member
Another thing that stood out to me about Kern last night.... that goes along with this sorta.... there was a play where someone had forced a turnover & kicked the ball to Kern & he started going up the court... it was just him & 1 defender. I think if he had tried to go 1v1 with that guy... it woulda resulted in a turnover or an offensive foul.... but he was very smart & held up & waited for his teammates to get down there to help.

Another really good sign from him last night.
Yep...a very good observation Rowdy. I have watched too many players force this situation and have at turn out bad. Smart play by Kern in this instance.

rammad90

Elite Member
That was our pattern, but playing time and the transfer portal has changed that mentality. I’d be hard pressed to believe a quality point guard recruit would be open to being a backup for two years. Maybe you can find a diamond in the rough (i.e. Bri) though.
I think it depends on the player. Jackson will be a good pg. He just has to sit and wait his turn, W/hen he arrived Bones knew he had to sit behind Evans.

AB thought he might have to sit behind Bones. So the narrative that a good pg recruit wont come to sit simply isnt true.

VRam

Elite Member
Actually that's pretty much been our pattern. JRod backed up Maynor for two years. Theus backed up JRod for two years. JeQuan backed up Weber for two years.
JeQuan signed in 2012, so it hasn't been our pattern for quite some time. Ace played 30 ppg as a freshman, second most on the team. Last season it went to 34 minutes a game (including a few games where he just came back where he played significantly less than normal), most on the team. This season it's 35, again most on the team.

RamDanFan

Elite Member
I am still about 7 pages of getting caught up with this thread. Running out of time and wanted to know if anyone has mentioned why our band leader, Ryan left the building about mid way through the game. Someone else led most of the 2nd half and Ryan was nowhere to be seen. Did anyone else notice this?

Gopher+RamFan

Elite Member
I am still about 7 pages of getting caught up with this thread. Running out of time and wanted to know if anyone has mentioned why our band leader, Ryan left the building about mid way through the game. Someone else led most of the 2nd half and Ryan was nowhere to be seen. Did anyone else notice this?
I was there for a game earlier in the season and Ryan let a student assistant (?) lead the band in the 2nd half, then sat a few rows in front of us, or was walking around to gauge the acoustic/sound. I know he posted here afterwards saying he wanted to get that person more time leading the band, IIRC.

N Mollen

Elite Member
Insider
I would love to some how reconcile how many people who thought the head patting tech was legit thought the Watkins high five to the other team tech was bogus?
could well have been a tech if it had been seen, and if it had been called I'd be talking about Jamir, not blaming the refs

VCU85

Elite Member
He was sitting just to our right off and on throughout the night.

Mistachill

Elite Member
JeQuan signed in 2012, so it hasn't been our pattern for quite some time. Ace played 30 ppg as a freshman, second most on the team. Last season it went to 34 minutes a game (including a few games where he just came back where he played significantly less than normal), most on the team. This season it's 35, again most on the team.
But it's not usual for a quality pg to come in behind an existing quality pg who still has two years of eligibility.

Mistachill

Elite Member
If my memory is correct Nunn came here as a pg with Baldwin as a sophomore. The main reason Nunn is playing along side Baldwin is because none of these shooting guards we recruited seems to have stepped up in our most recent classes. Even experienced transfers like Tsohonis haven't been very good.

VRam

Elite Member
But it's not usual for a quality pg to come in behind an existing quality pg who still has two years of eligibility.
True, but how do you think our offense would have been if Maynor had gotten hurt during Joey's first or second season? Guys rarely show up ready to play the point. I can only think of two since I've been watching since 1977 - Sherod and Ace. Maynor probably was, but wasn't given the chance to show it.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
If my memory is correct Nunn came here as a pg with Baldwin as a sophomore. The main reason Nunn is playing along side Baldwin is because none of these shooting guards we recruited seems to have stepped up in our most recent classes. Even experienced transfers like Tsohonis haven't been very good.
I remember Nunn being a guard, but not specially a point guard. Not saying you are wrong, I may be. I do agree that he’s played alongside him because no pure shooters have been able to play SG since he’s been here.

Is it me or are the 3s coming rushed and not in the open corners for instance? I do remember a wide open corner 3 badly missed by Jackson but not many more. Seems like the shooters are not finding space or the permitter passing in the halfcourt offense is not giving players off the ball enough space. That can be helped by more inside out passing. Unfortunately VCU's bigs have trouble receiving or giving passes. Or at least it seems that way to me.
Shriver’s 3’s are often rushed, which is his biggest problem. Zeb has had some bad misses. His form looks pretty good, but his feet are often turned and not pointed at the basket. That will mess a shot up.