The Official Beat The Wildcats of Davidson in The Animal thread

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
The very earliest references to the rabies virus are out of Mesopotamia. Never heard anyone say you must get your dog the Mesopotamian Virus shot. Smallpox, HIV and Ebola are believed to have originated in different parts of Africa. Ever heard anyone call any of the three, the Africa Virus? Then along comes this virus, or "hoax" as some in a very certain political party call it. Relative to fairly recent history, racists have been living under a rock until they were freed by the American Aryan King to be themselves. Now they openly sing about pride in their overtly displayed racism, creedism, and sexual chauvinism. And convince their gullible followers to refer to it, by such a racist name.
Stop. Please just stop with your political opinions. Not picking on you, but to everyone, lets not relive the election.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
Anyone have an ideal as to what it means by “pause on all team activities”, specifically wondering if that means the guys can’t even work out at the BDC?
No idea. But the use of the word "pause" as opposed to "stop", "halt", "cease".. indicates to me that the intent is for it to restart as soon as possible. Of course they are following VDH, A10, VCU protocols but are addressing it from a solution-oriented perspective hopefully.

Reactions: SZQ VCU and PRock

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I didn’t write that, so I’m not sure why you’re replying to me specifically here, but you’re right about those two names. It’s all about connotation and origination of terminology.
I think the problem with “China Virus” is that Covid-19 already had a very well-established name by the time the President introduced his nickname for it. It shouldn’t be a political discussion, and it sucks it has become one. It also sucks it oftentimes takes over this board, but that just proves the kind of damage careless words can cause. That is true for all kinds of comments (basketball, Covid, etc.).

It’s not “virtue signaling.” It’s just saying something people are saying is not ok to other people. If anyone takes issue with that, it’s because it makes them uncomfortable. It shouldn’t be political or contentious. It’s not hard to call it Covid to avoid the misunderstandings of hurtful intent. Words matter.

Go Rams!
Thought I was replying to MM's post about virus names. Yes, Mr. Trump made it a very distinct point to call it the China virus.

I'll have to disagree about what it was being called at the time by everyone. Many many many people were calling it the Wuhan flu. The media began a pretty hard game of calling it Covid or Corona virus. I've seen sites (I'm sure others have as well) where people called out others for using the China or Wuhan label into February, and March.

I think it's silly to get into ugly back, and forth posts about this issue. There are definitely legit points on both sides of the debate. People attacking Asians because of this is beyond idiotic. Calling out a gov't/ country that has been responsible for the genesis of 2-3 of the last viruses that have come down the pike is OK if it results in that gov't HOPEFULLY changing its policies. We have every right (and more importantly a responsibility) as citizens of the world to call out bad players. The world as we're now seeing is a d*mned sight smaller than it was in Nov. of 2020.

Calling it Covid is what I've been doing, but I also lay the blame fully at the feet of the Chinese gov't for this pandemic (which is a separate issue from how countries have dealt with it), from their initial denials, to The WHO covering for them as a result of Chinese gov't pressure to downplay the issue. Sorry if this drifts into the political stream, but this pandemic is the result of bad politics/governance/policy. Can you imagine the hue and cry from our own citizenry if this were something caused by the US ?

Sorry for the political post, but this is a political issue as well as health crisis, and separating the two is almost impossible.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
No idea. But the use of the word "pause" as opposed to "stop", "halt", "cease".. indicates to me that the intent is for it to restart as soon as possible. Of course they are following VDH, A10, VCU protocols but are addressing it from a solution-oriented perspective hopefully.
Thanks for the thoughts. So a followup for the group....if the BDC is shut down, is there any way for them to get a workout in or do all the guys have to “shelter in place”. Specifically wondering what the restrictions are on those that are not positive or have antibodies.

I’d have been crawling up walls if I didn’t have a workout outlet. My physician advised me to keep doing what i was comfortable with in isolation until testing negative—keeping an eye on blood oxygen and other respiratory indicators, we actually felt like keeping high levels of activity helped the body do its immunity thing better.

Havoc2Ut2

Top Member
Nov 15, 2014
96420-Antelope-Eating-Popcorn.gif

Reactions: Newboy

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
It is, either when the necessary people test negative or 14 days pass, whichever comes first.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Heck, when we first starting hearing about this virus, I thought it was a venereal disease because it came from abroad-teehee.
Be careful. A lot of posters don't have a sense of humor. You might get labeled something which you are not. Heck, even Bill Maher regularly laments the lack of a sense of humor from many on his side of the aisle.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
"The very earliest references to the rabies virus are out of Mesopotamia. Never heard anyone say you must get your dog the Mesopotamian Virus shot."
Stop. Please just stop with your political opinions. Not picking on you, but to everyone, lets not relive the election.
Be careful. A lot of posters don't have a sense of humor.
You're right. I did a good one. No laughs. Veterinarians would giggle.:D

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for the thoughts. So a followup for the group....if the BDC is shut down, is there any way for them to get a workout in or do all the guys have to “shelter in place”. Specifically wondering what the restrictions are on those that are not positive or have antibodies.

I’d have been crawling up walls if I didn’t have a workout outlet. My physician advised me to keep doing what i was comfortable with in isolation until testing negative—keeping an eye on blood oxygen and other respiratory indicators, we actually felt like keeping high levels of activity helped the body do its immunity thing better.
I think there would be a way for the players to access the BDC if they test negative. I own a business and the building we occupy. We had a positive case. VDH contacted us. Aside from quarantining people that came in contact with the infected co-worker (till they tested negative), we had to submit to VDH how many people are in the building, does the public have access, are products delivered out of the building, are the entrances equipped with sanitizing stations, what is our cleaning protocol, . .. Since we were not open to the public, and it was a single case case, we were allowed to remain open. But it was made clear subsequent positive cases would result in much more restrictive measures. In fact, 3 positive cases within a certain time period would have been a complete game changer for us from an operational perspective.
So in my opinion, I think as long as it is 1 or 2 people, the BDC would be allowed to be open after people either test negative or quarantine. It is fairly large and the public is not allowed in.

Last edited: