The Official Beat the Wildcats of Davidson Thread

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009
Can someone explain to me why we play Bacon for only 3 minutes and Brick-a brac has a career day against us? When you have a 7+ player on your roster please play him according to your opposition. Good Lord. man...
Bottom line. though, we didn't take care of the ball and shot like crap. Bones and Curry absent wasn't a plus
either. Hopefully we can regroup for the tourney. Davidson's venue has been a death knell for us. Everyone take care and focus on your health and well being. Love y'all.
I agree with you on Bacon. When Davidson was up 15-11 midway thru the first half, Rhoades went to the 2-3 zone with Bacon in the middle and Ward a power forward.

In that 3 minute stretch, VCU went on an 8-0 run and Bacon kept Brajkovic getting good low position to score. Bacon drew a foul on Brajkovic and went 1 for 2 from the foul line.

Once Bacon went out of the game, Branjkovic had his way with the smaller VCU front line going 7 for 8 from the field on 2 ft jump hooks.

While Bacon is vulnerable in a pressing defense, he is incredibly effective in VCU's big lineup 2-3 zone.

VCU will use the 2-3 Zone alot more with our perimeter are decimated with injuries and departures(Bones, Williams, Curry injured and Clark gone)...now Jones up front.

We need to use Bacon more.

Last edited:

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
The Rams Rewind podcast looking back on the Davidson game was published yesterday, but I forgot to post it here. Host George Templeton says, yes Bones and Keyshawn were out, and Vince got hurt. But, no excuses.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Host George Templeton says, yes Bones and Keyshawn were out, and Vince got hurt. But, no excuses.
LOL - I think George does a pretty good job with analysis on his podcast, but I think going 1-1 against NCAA Top 70 competition without your first potential NBA draft pick since 2010 is a valid excuse.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I agree with you on Bacon. When Davidson was up 15-11 midway thru the first half, Rhoades went to the 2-3 zone with Bacon in the middle and Ward a power forward.

In that 3 minute stretch, VCU went on an 8-0 run and Bacon kept Brajkovic getting good low position to score. Bacon drew a foul on Brajkovic and went 1 for 2 from the foul line.

Once Bacon went out of the game, Branjkovic had his way with the smaller VCU front line going 7 for 8 from the field on 2 ft jump hooks.

While Bacon is vulnerable in a pressing defense, he is incredibly effective in VCU's big lineup 2-3 zone.

VCU will use the 2-3 Zone alot more with our perimeter are decimated with injuries and departures(Bones, Williams, Curry injured and Clark gone)...now Jones up front.

When is less bacon ever a good idea ??

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
LOL - I think George does a pretty good job with analysis on his podcast, but I think going 1-1 against NCAA Top 70 competition without your first potential NBA draft pick since 2010 is a valid excuse.
I agree, but I think his larger point is that even without Bones, Keyshawn, and Vince, VCU still had a good chance to win yesterday if they had just executed a bit better.

KentuckyRam

Insider
Jul 16, 2009
I thought he looked really good during that stretch and kept waiting to see him again...

Love2Ram

Top Member
Insider
Feb 25, 2011
Mason was different, that was with the team at full strength. We were without three really good players today. I can stomach this loss a bit better.
If you include Vince Williams missing the last 7-8 minutes of the game I count five players. There isn't another team in the A-10 that could lose so much and still be able to field a team remotely capable of playing at the level we are right now. We're down a potential conference player of the year star and several other major contributors and we're still feeling like we have a shot to win our conference. The idea that we can even hang on to hope right now is a testament to the level of recruiting and coaching this staff has done the past few years.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
Getting only one win in the A10 Tournament and losing to the 3 or 6 seed would still make us sweat for 8 days, but man..... if we don't beat the 7 or 10 seed that will be a LONG 9 days before SS.

Gotta at least get one. Hopefully we are healthy by then.
If we lose Friday or Saturday expect to see us add a couple of games before selection Sunday to boost resume and stay sharp.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
If we lose Friday or Saturday expect to see us add a couple of games before selection Sunday to boost resume and stay sharp.

If VCU wins Friday, you won't see any other games added. Also, there is no way VCU would be able to add a "couple of games" before Selection Sunday. First - the team is still dealing with injuries. Second - finding two qualified opponents will be nearly impossible. Third - you are increasing the risk of having to pause for COVID by adding any games.

There is one variable to Selection Sunday that people are missing. 68 teams will be selected, but the "first 4 out" are designated replacement teams if any of the "at-large" teams can't move forward. Also, if your conference's "auto-bid" team has to hit COVID pause, you are allowed to select a replacement team from your conference. If you are one of the "first 4 out" or a first/second place regular season team, why would you schedule additional games next week and possibly increase your chances of having to go into a COVID pause?