The Official Must Beat the Ticks in the RC Thread

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
Agreed.
MR doesn't give great interviews, but 1 on 1 or in a group he is fantastic! The players like him, other coaches like him, the staff likes him. I was for more Bones, but that didn't seem to make any difference at all today. MR used time outs more liberally the past few days. He is making adjustments but nothing is working.
This group of players are some of the least resilient athletes I have seen at VCU. They had a great year last year and a fantastic start this year. Then after a disappointing loss, they absolutely crumble in the face adversity. Nearly every game of consequence since December, the opposing team punched us in the nose right at the start and we ran home crying. We never even put up a fight and got drummed off the court. This is more on the upper classmen than anything else. This is a competitive athletic event. You have to find that Y chromosone and battle. This is more than blaming the coach.
How do we get kicked in the plumbs from URI (twice), rally to beat a good (not great) Davidson team, then forget why they went to the Stu when Mason came to town, and end the latest leg of their journey by getting owned less than 9 miles from home with a large support contingent there to cheer them on. I can’t wrap my head around how these seniors are viewing their legacy 🤔

Last edited:

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I went back and posted "Agreed" on my reply to your comment. MR totally gives bland interviews. Everything else I wrote should have been in a separate post. I totally enjoy your perspective and posts @HTTRams!
I will say this (since his name has been referenced a lot lately), Anthony Grant publicly is about the most bland coach we've ever had. Alabama fans said the same about him and I used to read posts asking that he at least act like he wants to be there.

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
I will say this (since his name has been referenced a lot lately), Anthony Grant publicly is about the most bland coach we've ever had. Alabama fans said the same about him and I used to read posts asking that he at least act like he wants to be there.
Maybe he is in the right spot at the right time.
I wouldn't be shocked if he bolted for more money.

SpiderRAM

Insider
Aug 17, 2014
Not even in the top 50 ...still on the wrong side of the bubble...probably will not make the tournament...but yeah they are great
Oh, but the Spider fans walking out behind me said the Spiders are FOR SURE in the big dance after this win. 😐

Sethjax

Top Member
Jan 22, 2010
This really does feel like February of 2011 where we were all down and feeling like we had underachieved with a senior laden team...
Getting that bid was a miracle and they responded with the chance at more life...
I don’t know what the next couple weeks will look like but it’s feeling pretty similar right now.
Hoping something crazy happens with this team and we somehow find a way to the tournament, but sheesh...what a crazy 180 we have done from last year to this year with relatively the same core.
Oh and Jarren McCallister is gonna be a beast.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Maybe he is in the right spot at the right time.
I wouldn't be shocked if he bolted for more money.
Maybe. Possibly do what he did here, ride Toppin like he rode Maynor and jet out when they leave?

I kinda felt if he left Dayton it would be for one of the Florida gigs: Miami (his hometown), Florida (obvious reasons) or FSU (if Hamilton ever moves on). I just have a feeling he's staying at Dayton (his alma mater) for a while.

He tried P5 once. Wouldn't think he's anxious to go back unless there's a very compelling reason to do so.

Reactions: mrA10 and SpiderRAM

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Yeah, you might be right. But to this day, all that didn't matter b/c when he stepped on the court on game day, irregardless of how our team did, I never had the slightest doubt that if both coaches were put in steel cage match, our coach (AG) would win. Every. Single. Time.
Yep. He looked like he was in better shape than the players he coached. Used to mention in interviews "getting a lift in" before practice.

Reactions: Ramaholic
Mar 2, 2014
<=============

We be on life support now. Anything good we see from now out will be a pleasant surprise. It's gonna be a long 7 months coming up. Kool Aid officially back to the pantry for a while. I've gotta concentrate on keeping the Kat in the basement.
Let him out.

Reactions: hyeahvcu

mrA10

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
Yeah, you might be right. But to me, all that didn't matter b/c when he stepped on the court on game day, irregardless of how our team did, I never had the slightest doubt that if both coaches were put in steel cage match, our coach (AG) would win. Every. Single. Time.
He does have a presence. I'm sure that if his players showed as little effort as some of ours have shown he would not tolerate it and they would listen.