The Official Must Beat the Ticks in the RC Thread

RamStrut

Top Member
Mar 8, 2011
UR passed the ball beautifully. We passed the ball around back and forth around the perimeter creating nothing. I hate to admit that UR ran a clinic on how the ball should move. They return almost everyone next year. Will they be the favorite to win the league next year?

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
UR passed the ball beautifully. We passed the ball around back and forth around the perimeter creating nothing. I hate to admit that UR ran a clinic on how the ball should move. They return almost everyone next year. Will they be the favorite to win the league next year?
Probably them, Dayton, or Rhody.

Reactions: RamStrut

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Let’s wait until this season ends to decide who the favorite will be next year. Richmond has 3 players (Sherod, Golden, and Francis) that should be graduating from school, but have another year of eligibility.

Reactions: RamStrut

thelonious_chunk

Top Member
Jun 17, 2014
I’m not soft. I’m just not stupid. Be mad at the players, if anyone. It’s also ignorant to say UR is a “lesser in-state rival.“ if you’ve been paying attention all season and stopped thinking VCU is automatically the best, you’d know UR has been on par with us all year long. Everyone knew this game would be hard to win even before we started recently losing.
You can’t blame one person for what’s happening when you have zero clue what goes on in preparation, practice, locker rooms, etc.
You should be angry, but you need to redistribute your anger to the right places. It’s not soft to realize our coach should be respected. It’s just the easiest person for people like you to blame when you feel embarrassed that the team who has allowed you to be proud for so long struggles. I wouldn’t ever pretend that I should tell you that you’re doing YOUR job incorrectly because I have zero clue what you do, why you do it the way you do, and I would hope you would have reasons behind the choices you make. Award the same respect to someone whose been doing it right for awhile.

PLUS, I directly was speaking to not insinuating that the players hate listening to him talk. So chill.
While you were directly speaking to that, you directly spoke to a lot of other things as well.

If I ever do my job incorrectly I absolutely want people to tell me so I can fix the problem ASAP. I’m not afraid of criticism because I prepare as much as possible and produce consistent and positive results in my profession. Respect is earned. I don’t expect anyone to respect me, but they do it based on merit and reputation anyways and I’m pretty sure the coaching world functions in the same way. Plus he hasn't been ‘doing it right for a while.’ We took a gamble on a coach with a losing D1 record at Rice. Believe me, I understand the context of his progress there but he was not proven at this level in any way. I’ve seen enough people in high places with poor reasoning behind the choices they make to just put faith in someone who doesn’t have a prolonged track record of success.

In the grand scheme UR is a lesser rival based on overall record and more importantly recent history but that was a decent shot at refocusing the context for the sake of argument. Mooney is doing more with less when compared to MR this season but I guess that isn’t coach’s fault. It’s almost an insult to MR to suggest that they are on par with us. Hmm. Losing to UR is not a huge surprise, but you should know that the way we lost was very atypical and disheartening and it doesn’t take 20/20 to read between the lines. I never think VCU is automatically the best, actually I’m quite critical because I expect a lot, but we SHOULD be the best or at least consistently towards the top based on our budget/facilities/reputation/recruiting and anything under a top 4 A10 finish is a pretty low ROI and justifies heavy critique.

It’s not stupid to be disappointed and frustrated and to express that on this forum. It is stupid to not hold the captain of the ship accountable and just try to blame the crew. Are you a relative or something? Why are you so bothered that people are bothered with coach? Why is it ok to be angry at the players but not at the much older and more experienced strategist and manager of the players whose fundamental approach is leading to some of the worst on-court performances I’ve seen at VCU in over a decade? 17 years since a loss this bad to UR. Do you really think he shouldn’t have to put up with public criticism as an unproven high-level D1 coach with a result like that? That is fantasy.

TLDR; That was a soft reply. MR can be critiqued. Go Rams.

Last edited:

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Why is it ok to be angry at the players but not at the much older and more experienced strategist and manager of the players whose fundamental approach is leading to some of the worst on-court performances I’ve seen at VCU? Do you really think he shouldn’t have to put up with public criticism as an unproven high-level D1 coach? That is fantasy.
How many of MSS's missed layup and point blank shots is MR to be blamed for? How many missed open threes is MR to be blamed for? MR is obviously going to be held responsible for the results and should expect criticism if expectations aren't met and that's the bottom line, especially when we get to the point where the entire roster are players he recruited. However, I get frustrated with fans who act like players are robots and the coach can program them like a computer and control their actions on the floor with a joy stick.

None of us know why Marcus Evans is playing the way he is. None of us know why Vann has been so inconsistent this year. None of us know why DJ has only marginally progressed the last three years. There's a difference between being held accountable and being the reason why things are happening. My default position is always going to put the majority of the responsibility on the players unless you can clearly point to a problem with the coach (which for the average fan is usually going to be their coaching record over an extended period of time).

MR is a well respected coach who was good enough to be A10 coach of the year last year. And before anyone plays the "weak conference" card, there were 13 other coaches who had the same opportunity to do it and didn't. I have a hard time believing he suddenly forgot how to coach and he's the reason Evans is having the worst season of his college career as a senior. Whatever the problem is MR has to identify it and address it.

And before you go there, I'm no longer on the MR bandwagon. He's on the clock for me to get this thing figured out the rest of this season, next season, and the year after that. Then we reevaluate. Right now, it's way too early and not enough intel to definitively blame him for what's going on in my opinion.

Last edited:

RamLover

Top Member
Dec 1, 2016
While you were directly speaking to that, you directly spoke to a lot of other things as well.

If I ever do my job incorrectly I absolutely want people to tell me so I can fix the problem ASAP. I’m not afraid of criticism because I prepare as much as possible and produce consistent and positive results in my profession. Respect is earned. I don’t expect anyone to respect me, but they do it based on merit and reputation anyways and I’m pretty sure the coaching world functions in the same way. Plus he hasn't been ‘doing it right for a while.’ We took a gamble on a coach with a losing D1 record at Rice. Believe me, I understand the context of his progress there but he was not proven at this level in any way. I’ve seen enough people in high places with poor reasoning behind the choices they make to just put faith in someone who doesn’t have a prolonged track record of success.

In the grand scheme UR is a lesser rival based on overall record and more importantly recent history but that was a decent shot at refocusing the context for the sake of argument. Mooney is doing more with less when compared to MR this season but I guess that isn’t coach’s fault. It’s almost an insult to MR to suggest that they are on par with us. Hmm. Losing to UR is not a huge surprise, but you should know that the way we lost was very atypical and disheartening and it doesn’t take 20/20 to read between the lines. I never think VCU is automatically the best, actually I’m quite critical because I expect a lot, but we SHOULD be the best or at least consistently towards the top based on our budget/facilities/reputation/recruiting and anything under a top 4 A10 finish is a pretty low ROI and justifies heavy critique.

It’s not stupid to be disappointed and frustrated and to express that on this forum. It is stupid to not hold the captain of the ship accountable and just try to blame the crew. Are you a relative or something? Why are you so bothered that people are bothered with coach? Why is it ok to be angry at the players but not at the much older and more experienced strategist and manager of the players whose fundamental approach is leading to some of the worst on-court performances I’ve seen at VCU in over a decade? 17 years since a loss this bad to UR. Do you really think he shouldn’t have to put up with public criticism as an unproven high-level D1 coach with a result like that? That is fantasy.

Of course he can be critiqued, but he can’t be solely blamed or critiqued to the level of disrespect by outsiders without a clue about specifics to how and why he does the things he does.
If your job was to judge him, and he wasn’t performing based on qualifications you are supposed to observe, than sure, judge away and let him know so he can adjust, but you’re making a false analogy. You wouldn’t like someone to (quite unprofessionally) slam your incompetence at your life’s work when they had no professional background to base their judgements on. You are NOT trained to judge him, and the judgements you set forth are based on assumptions you’re personally making about how this team runs. You are in zero position to understand if he is the reason behind the losses or to understand if the lapses are originating from him. He’s not a magician. He can’t just magically make people do exactly what he wants them to, make shots bounce the right way, or alter timelines to make players show up they way they should everyday. He can’t go out and run a play to take over the game.

I personally think everyone should be respected all the time, but if respect has to be earned, he did win the conference and coach of the year last year in his second year at the school. If that doesn’t earn your respect, then it sounds like you are the problem.

You’re not making sense with the discussion about UR. They have good players. Mooney is proof that programs have highs and lows, coaching has waves, and bad losses don’t always point to bad coaching. Don’t believe made-up narratives from forums and Twitter and actually look at how they’ve played. Bringing up that UR is a lesser overall program just doesn’t matter. If you go by money and tradition, VCU is still a lesser program than any big-name school, yet we love to argue when we think we’re better than them. We’ve always supported our school by arguing that those things don’t matter, so why should we let past blind us to if a team is our equal or better than us now?

I was honestly surprised we beat them handily at the STU, but they were without a starter, much like we were against them. Oh yeah. We were out our best player! Even if Evans hasn’t been as efficient as we’ve wanted him to be lately, he still was on the bench, meaning the game was drastically against us before tip. Defensively, it was a literal game-changer before it even started. I don’t think that means we should have lost by that much, but it definitely gave us a disadvantage that a lot aren’t discussing. Point is, Rhoades isn’t deserving of this much disrespect and hate, and if you can’t understand or comprehend the MANY factors going into losing like this, then I don’t know what else to say! No one really cares if you get it by now or not, I guess. He’s used to dealing with it, and still calls it his dream job, so I guess you won’t matter even if you’re being irrational.

You’re just angry. Its ok.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Of course he can be critiqued, but he can’t be solely blamed or critiqued to the level of disrespect by outsiders without a clue about specifics to how and why he does the things he does.
If your job was to judge him, and he wasn’t performing based on qualifications you are supposed to observe, than sure, judge away and let him know so he can adjust, but you’re making a false analogy. You wouldn’t like someone to (quite unprofessionally) slam your incompetence at your life’s work when they had no professional background to base their judgements on. You are NOT trained to judge him, and the judgements you set forth are based on assumptions you’re personally making about how this team runs. You are in zero position to understand if he is the reason behind the losses or to understand if the lapses are originating from him. He’s not a magician. He can’t just magically make people do exactly what he wants them to, make shots bounce the right way, or alter timelines to make players show up they way they should everyday. He can’t go out and run a play to take over the game.

I personally think everyone should be respected all the time, but if respect has to be earned, he did win the conference and coach of the year last year in his second year at the school. If that doesn’t earn your respect, then it sounds like you are the problem.

You’re not making sense with the discussion about UR. They have good players. Mooney is proof that programs have highs and lows, coaching has waves, and bad losses don’t always point to bad coaching. Don’t believe made-up narratives from forums and Twitter and actually look at how they’ve played. Bringing up that UR is a lesser overall program just doesn’t matter. If you go by money and tradition, VCU is still a lesser program than any big-name school, yet we love to argue when we think we’re better than them. We’ve always supported our school by arguing that those things don’t matter, so why should we let past blind us to if a team is our equal or better than us now?

I was honestly surprised we beat them handily at the STU, but they were without a starter, much like we were against them. Oh yeah. We were out our best player! Even if Evans hasn’t been as efficient as we’ve wanted him to be lately, he still was on the bench, meaning the game was drastically against us before tip. Defensively, it was a literal game-changer before it even started. I don’t think that means we should have lost by that much, but it definitely gave us a disadvantage that a lot aren’t discussing. Point is, Rhoades isn’t deserving of this much disrespect and hate, and if you can’t understand or comprehend the MANY factors going into losing like this, then I don’t know what else to say! No one really cares if you get it by now or not, I guess. He’s used to dealing with it, and still calls it his dream job, so I guess you won’t matter even if you’re being irrational.

You’re just angry. Its ok.
You make an excellent point. If I'm performing poorly on my job am I really going to take critiques seriously from people outside of my professional who don't know a thing about my job? Yeah, a guy not meeting his sales quota wants a construction worker to give him advice on how to do his job better. Makes total sense.

And then he references MR not having a winning record at Rice. They won 5 and 7 games the two previous season before his arrival. MR improves to 12, 12 and then 23 wins, first time in 13 years they won over 20 games. But thelonious_chunk decides to quickly gloss over it to conveniently leave out that bit of context when referencing his Rice record.

The more I read his post the more things keep jumping out at me that requires a response. "I’ve seen enough people in high places with poor reasoning behind the choices they make to just put faith in someone who doesn’t have a prolonged track record of success."

This is how we built our program!!!!! Unproven coaches we've hired previously: Capel (no head coaching experience, only a couple of years of experience as an assistant), Grant (no head coaching experience except, I think, on the high school level), Shaka (no head coaching experience). Wade did have two years of solid success at UT-Chat. But lets look at the recent coaching hires with a extensive proven track record: Sonny Smith and Mack McCarthy. How'd that work out?

Last edited:

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010

The worst loss to Richmond in 17 years is true from a final score standpoint. We’ve had worse losses to them, though. In our final 4 season, they obliterated us. The final score (72-60) wasn’t indicative of the total domination by UR that day. They led us by 23 at the half and by 30 with 10 or 11 minutes left in the game. I remember us shooting below 10% on threes. That butt-whipping was much worse than Saturday’s in my opinion.

As for criticizing coaches or players, all are responsible for the losses. However, a coach can’t play the game for them. This loss wasn’t scheme, it was execution and effort. A coach can diagram the perfect play or devise the perfect game plan, but if the players don’t execute it, then that’s on the players.

I’ll give you one thing that is interesting and may speak to the need for more adjustments by the coaching staff: in our 2nd games against teams this season (Rhody, Mason and UR), we’ve played worse than the first game against those teams. Part of that issue may be coaching. Are we making adjustments from game 1 to game 2?

Reactions: G-Man

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I’ll give you one thing that is interesting and may speak to the need for more adjustments by the coaching staff: in our 2nd games against teams this season (Rhody, Mason and UR), we’ve played worse than the first game against those teams. Part of that issue may be coaching. Are we making adjustments from game 1 to game 2?
Maybe. But keep in mind the second Rhode Island and UR games were on the road, so that makes difference. To me, the Mason game was simply about effort. Yeah, Mason employed some new wrinkles but they're not good enough for it to make a difference (especially at home) if we're giving max effort, which we didn't that night.

Reactions: HBK and SpiderRAM