The Official Must Beat the Ticks in the RC Thread

RamBo

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I don't know why some of you guys are arguing over who is sucking worse this year - Coach or Players. They have all sucked. Everyone. Together. Collectively. Why are we splitting hairs here? Everyone on this Team is to blame - including the Staff, and the players. The end. I just hope we can get it figured out, and get back to where we are accustomed to being, as a Program. Typically, a Program would be in store for a pretty down year, after losing (5) Seniors - especially when all of them factor into a rotation. So I really don't know what next year is going to hold for us. I love the young talent we have - and the incoming talent. But this could take a while. I don't know what to expect. But this year.... they have all stunk it up. Together. As a Team should be judged. Together.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Right. I’m an airline captain. If the landing is a bit firm, I’ve got hacks letting me know all about it. What they may not realize is I’ve avoided thunderstorms, lightning strikes, turbulence and mid-air collisions for the past six hours, yet the whole critique centers on not obtaining a pillow soft landing.

While MR has made his share of mistakes, I’m not really fit but to address but maybe a few of the most obvious “firm landing” items. I thought our offense got to the rim, but did not convert. Our offense generated open looks from 3, but they seemed to rattle out. MR did not lose the fUR game.

One big thing on MR I saw is Vince W starting the game. He had been ineffective early in the season due to conditioning issues from his injury. Then he breaks a finger and misses more time. How does that land him in the starting lineup in his second game back? I love VW and his game. But there’s no way he’s ready for a starting role in my opinion. Again, this is my critique of MR, not Vince. VW has starter talent, but not the conditioning at this point.
Just one hacks opinion.
I would've rolled the dice with Ward. But it probably wouldn't have made a difference.

Reactions: 80sRamBaseballRugby

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I would've rolled the dice with Ward. But it probably wouldn't have made a difference.
Vince was the right answer IMO. I think Ward has a high ceiling, But he fouls more than Vince right now, and Vince is a bit more versatile player right now, ball handling as the main factor, again in my opinion.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
And check their initial salaries and their salaries after they made the dance for the first time. How does it compare with what Rhoades is making with a NCAA appearance in the bank?
Not to mention what the are making now

It is amazing how many basketball savants on this board ...despite never playing..never coaching...have it all figured out. One thing that really seems to allude them is that it is all about the players. It’s rarely if ever the Xes & Os and is all about the jimmys and the joes. You know why Grant is a great coach this year...Obi. I tend to give Mike more credit for getting to the Dance with this bunch last year...that was truly Coach of the Year $hiite there. I always wondered what type of idiot would put up a billboard to try and get their coach fired and embarrass their own program...sadly I am starting to think it is not limited to ur fans.

Last edited:

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Not to mention what the are making now

I always wondered what type of idiot would put up a billboard to try and get their coach fired and embarrass their own program...sadly I am starting to think it is not limited to ur fans.
Kinda hard to afford a billboard when we all work for Mc Donalds..... even if we pool our funds....

Reactions: Ramdog
May 4, 2012
Vince was the right answer IMO. I think Ward has a high ceiling, But he fouls more than Vince right now, and Vince is a bit more versatile player right now, ball handling as the main factor, again in my opinion.
Ok so his time is limited by his fouling but he can score, rebound and defend. Ill take those ten minutes.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
You make an excellent point. If I'm performing poorly on my job am I really going to take critiques seriously from people outside of my professional who don't know a thing about my job? Yeah, a guy not meeting his sales quota wants a construction worker to give him advice on how to do his job better. Makes total sense.
The fans that watch, alums, students, donors are customers. I wouldn't recommend any organization in any market tuning out their customers opinions.

Last edited:

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
The fans that watch, alums, students, donors are customers. I don't think any organization in any market has had sustained success by tuning out their customers opinions.
If we had listened to customer opinion we would've hired Russ Springmann instead of Shaka Smart. Who is Russ Springmann? Exactly.

VCU listened to customer opinion about serving beer. About getting a center court scoreboard. About removing the "we're #6" banner. Hiring coaches and who to play? No.

Last edited:

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
Valley is like a lot of VCU fans. He only does not like MR because his first reason was a struggle. He won’t acknowledge that JC, AG, or SS did not have head coaching experience. Maybe he’s the reincarnation of morrisar.
All I know, is if Valley is who I think he is....he was a player back in the day at Cary St and could hang unembarrassingly with guys on the team. 77% chance I am wrong though.