The Official Must Beat the Ticks in the RC Thread

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
If we had listened to customer opinion we would've hired Russ Springmann instead of Shaka Smart. Who is Russ Springmann? Exactly.

VCU listened to customer opinion about serving beer. About getting a center court scoreboard. About removing the "we're #6" banner. Hiring coaches and who to play? No.
Huh? Of course we don't get a direct say in who we hire or play. We do get to critique the coach and the program without your permission or a list of credentials that you or other fans on here approve.
Some people spend their time working during the day instead of posting 17,000+ times and replying to every comment on this board and have attained a modicum of success in their careers and actually get asked how we think the program is doing by the administration. I served on the board that searched out Norwood's replacement as well as several other boards at VCU. I have had my opinion sought several times (as have other fans I know). The University intenionally does this b/c they want to know how we feel. There isn't a secret panel of coaches and industry analysts that make all the calls from a back room. Fans, alums, donors, sponsors and students are stakeholders and customers. The admin does not turn a deaf ear to them. Their opinions do matter.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Huh? Of course we don't get a direct say in who we hire or play. We do get to critique the coach and the program without your permission or a list of credentials that you or other fans on here approve.
Some people spend their time working during the day instead of posting 17,000+ times and replying to every comment on this board and have attained a modicum of success in their careers and actually get asked how we think the program is doing by the administration. I served on the board that searched out Norwood's replacement as well as several other boards at VCU. I have had my opinion sought several times (as have other fans I know). The University intenionally does this b/c they want to know how we feel. There isn't a secret panel of coaches and industry analysts that make all the calls from a back room. Fans, alums, donors, sponsors and students are stakeholders and customers. The admin does not turn a deaf ear to them. Their opinions do matter.
So seeking out the opinion of board members, high profile donors and VIP alumni constitutes listening to the opinions of "fans." Got it.

And it's funny how folks like you will take a dig one of the most important elements of VCU athletics. And that's engaged fans who care enough about the program to want to discuss it with other engaged fans (in addition to being a donor). That's one of the things that separates our fan base from, says, JMU's fan base. Feel free to disparage fans all you want about who deeply care about the program. Take a look at my posts and you'll see the overwhelming majority of them are defending the same program you claim serve on the board of. Sorry if you're too thin-skinned to deal with a reply to your post.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
So seeking out the opinion of board members, high profile donors and VIP alumni constitutes listening to the opinions of "fans." Got it.

And it's funny how folks like you will take a dig one of the most important elements of VCU athletics. And that's engaged fans who care enough about the program to want to discuss it with other engaged fans (in addition to being a donor). That's one of the things that separates our fan base from, says, JMU's fan base. Feel free to disparage fans all you want about who deeply care about the program. Take a look at my posts and you'll see the overwhelming majority of them are defending the same program you claim serve on the board of. Sorry if you're too thin-skinned to deal with a reply to your post.
I didn't attack the engaged fan. I said they are stakeholders and customers and there opinion matters to the University. You have taken multiple swipes at me (and others) in the past questioning my intelligence, opinion and perspective. I understand that goes with the terrain on posting on a message board. But it rubs me the wrong way at times.
I have been communicating feedback with people at the university in athletics (Black and Gold Club) and other depts even when I was in my 20's and early 30's making $25K/ year. Fans, donors and student's opinions matter to people calling the shots at VCU on a variety of things other than beer selection and banner placement. Of course VCU isn't going to tear up MR's contract and replace him for a bad stretch. But how he is perceived by the donors, fans, sponsors, students and alums is important to the leadership at VCU imo.
FWIW, I apologize for the swipe as I know nothing about you personally. Your posts are well written and I know you do a heck of a job on the Youtube videos as well. I enjoy those. Additionally, there is much more to life than a career or donor levels. My bad.

Reactions: Mistachill
Apr 29, 2009
He’s responsible for being over-reliant on a 6’7” center and then not designing an offense that helps him thrive. He needs regular help down low, and we need taller and bigger guys.
6'9 Juvonte Reddic and 6'10 Michael Gilmore had 7-foot wingspans.

MSS has a 7'1 wingspan. When was the last time you saw a player score or block the ball with their head?

Mar 1, 2015
All I know, is if Valley is who I think he is....he was a player back in the day at Cary St and could hang unembarrassingly with guys on the team. 77% chance I am wrong though.
Baahahahaha. Just spit out my coffee. Played pick up in my youth with some WVU players, DI guys are on entirely another level. Some of the football players were crazy athletic.

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Mar 21, 2017
less than a year ago this was the state of UR basketball.

now they split the series with us this season and are possibly being considered in the First Four Out category. wow. congrats. great success. I am going to laugh so darn hard if their "best team in nearly a decade" still doesnt make it to the NCAA's

Reactions: VRam and WestEndEd

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
I don’t see that an extra 3 points per game from Evans as the limiting factor. By almost any statistical measure the offense is better or as good this year as last. Defensively we are worse.

Lack of hustle, heart, leadership have all been discussed. The league being better as well.

This is the second year the same defense, a high risk high reward trapping scheme has been throw out. Other coaches have seen it, they have watched tape, played against it, and are now beating it.

I keep seeing people it was the same defense as last year.

no, it isnt.

Our pressing and half court defenses were coordinated to getting stops last year moreso than turning folks over.

Listen to any or all of the MR pressers last year."...a quick shot or stop is just the same as a steal"..

last year ...no 2 in fg pct. defense and top 50 ish in to percentage...this year, the those numbers are flipped.

In order win, we need switch our goals back to last year and put a greater emphasis on getting stops.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I keep seeing people it was the same defense as last year.

no, it isnt.

Our pressing and half court defenses were coordinated to getting stops last year moreso than turning folks over.

Listen to any or all of the MR pressers last year."...a quick shot or stop is just the same as a steal"..

last year ...no 2 in fg pct. defense and top 50 ish in to percentage...this year, the those numbers are flipped.

In order win, we need switch our goals back to last year and put a greater emphasis on getting stops.
Please...have a clue.

So let's elaborate. Our head coach .. after having one of the best defenses in the country and returning all 5 starters ... scrapped the defense and decided to go another way.
Please tell me this is some kind of joke

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Please...have a clue.

So let's elaborate. Our head coach .. after having one of the best defenses in the country and returning all 5 starters ... scrapped the defense and decided to go another way.
Please tell me this is some kind of joke
he didnt scrap the schemes...but he changed the prime objective from getting stops back to getting steal ( ala..briante havoc)..now we are suffering same problems all over again...

Reactions: Valley drop step