The Official Off Season Thread

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
The Big12 is still a strong conference even with the loss of Texas and Oklahoma. They would just need to pursue some good replacements.
The best replacement options are Memphis, Houston, and Cincy. They’d be in trouble. As a football conference, there would be a pretty decent chance they’d be lumped in with the G5 instead of the P5 for the new playoff.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
but I’m not sure what would form would be worthy of a P5 status when it comes to the likely future 12 team playoff.
Please! The 12 team playoff should be enacted this year. Time to have a real college football playoff.

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
Please! The 12 team playoff should be enacted this year. Time to have a real college football playoff.
I don’t think that’s possible. I believe the current contract runs until 2025. Nothing will happen before that expires. But it seems like there’s a good chance we’ll get it this decade.

PRock

Top Member
Insider
Feb 9, 2010
If that happens dominoes are going to fall. Anything could happen. The Big Ten could call Clemson and Notre Dame. The Big12 would raid some ACC schools too. The American teams might be plucked for the Big12. Who knows but it would become wild.
Rumors down here are if OU and TU bolt; OKSt, Baylor, TT and maybe TCU to the Pac12. Kansas and KState to Big 10, while WVU and Iowa State have nothing but a coon skin hat between them. Nothing solid on any of it, just conjecture….but, Fox and ESPN have declined to exend existing Big12 media contract, so concern is the conference is DOA if SEC accomodates the Sooners and Cows.

Dec 16, 2013
Texas and Oklahoma moves would be seismic - They would both give up tier 1 and 2 media rights to Big 12 , I think through 2025 - that would mean they forgo roughly $40 million annually to Big 12 - Tier 3 TV rights (longhorn tv and whatever Okla has ) are another question and I don't know impact if any?
if it does happen, eventually I am guessing it is a death knell for Big 12 (whether slow death or immediate) I think we see Pac 12 go to pac 16 - big Ten (14) go to big 10 (16 teams) (( come on Big 10 lets rebrand)) - ACC get to 16 (currently 15 inclusive of ND)

Pretty obvious that this is driven by football (and the ungodly tv and bowl/playoff revenue) but basketball gets caught up in undertow - perhaps major 4 football conferences pull away from NCAA basketball tourney as the next step to try and corner more of the revenue pie there - that would be Catastrophic in my humble opinion , especially to programs like VCU

Stay tuned

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
perhaps major 4 football conferences pull away from NCAA basketball tourney as the next step to try and corner more of the revenue pie there - that would be Catastrophic in my humble opinion , especially to programs like VCU

Stay tuned
The NCAA tournament is not something that should be messed with. People tune in for upsets early and watch throughout.
They released highest non-football ratings and college basketball held the top two spots over the NBA and others.

Reactions: IstanbulRam
Dec 16, 2013
latest salvo fired: from ESPN article
"NCAA President Mark Emmert said Thursday the time is right to consider a decentralized and deregulated version of college sports, shifting power to conferences and campuses and reconsidering how schools are aligned.

Emmert said the recent Supreme Court ruling against the NCAA, along with the lifting of restrictions on athletes monetizing their fame, should be a catalyst to "rethink" what college sports is about."

VCU Heel

Top Member
Aug 7, 2012
I’ve always found the hate people have for the NCAA kind of amusing. I’m not sure that all of these people realize that the NCAA is made up of the schools that are members. It’s not some complete outside force that does things without the schools’ consent or participation.