The Official Off Season Thread

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Maybe. I think it is dependent on the field. The world of college athletics is high risk/ high reward/ high failure. I think a lot of non former players that started in coaching -even today, is volunteering at some point.
Lots of people in med school do the same thing. My ex was a Physicians Ass't and she had to spend a year and a half volunteering to have her application taken seriously. If this was a job interning at Capital One or some soul draining corporation -yes, it would be behind the times. But for college athletics I think it works.
Dont get me wrong. It would be nice if they paid $$. But if they don't have money in the budget, I think its fair to post it and see if there are takers.
I’m inclined to agree if the intention is to attract students or to support continuing education. The other open question is the level of commitment (hours, travel and availability).

The downside from a human capital perspective is that by not providing a wage of some nature, you are precluding a big group of people who simply can’t afford to work for free….or value themselves more. By doing so, you potentially limit the quality of applicants.

All that said—the job probably entails cleaning towels, stacking weights, charting performance, chasing guys down when they oversleep…..so you are likely right, it makes sense.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
1436901016-duff.gif

New things are brewing at VCU!

VCU is considering launching a branded craft beer and the proceeds will benefit student scholarships. Please take a moment to complete this brief survey. Your feedback is important to us. We appreciate your time. Thank you!

Go Rams!
Ram Athletic Fund

The things this AD will do to make money. :roll: 💰:oops:

How about making sure the Stu is sold out this year, which it will not based on all of the social media ads for season tickets. At a minimum now for 4 season tickets, the cost this year is $2,000 for season tickets, $1,000 for the rights to those tickets and at least $500 to the RAF, which will get you a bleacher seat. That's $3,500 per year to sit in bleacher seats!!!

For those of you that did not renew season tickets, you will be able to buy single game tickets from VCU at game day price.

It is so sad that this AD has brought VCU to this point money wise. And tons of you will be complaining when the sellout streak ends.

Enjoy your VCU IPA $9 beer at the games!!!

VCU Heel

Elite Member

How about making sure the Stu is sold out this year, which it will not based on all of the social media ads for season tickets. At a minimum now for 4 season tickets, the cost this year is $2,000 for season tickets, $1,000 for the rights to those tickets and at least $500 to the RAF, which will get you a bleacher seat. That's $3,500 per year to sit in bleacher seats!!!

For those of you that did not renew season tickets, you will be able to buy single game tickets from VCU at game day price.

It is so sad that this AD has brought VCU to this point money wise. And tons of you will be complaining when the sellout streak ends.

I don’t see anything wrong with this. It will require next to no work for the athletic department.

As for season tickets, everyone better just hope that schools are able to have full attendance for games the way things are going. Many people with tickets already purchased may be getting their money back again this year.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
I don’t see anything wrong with this. It will require next to no work for the athletic department.

As for season tickets, everyone better just hope that schools are able to have full attendance for games the way things are going. Many people with tickets already purchased may be getting their money back again this year.

It's called Economy 101. I have had season tickets for 30+ years at VCU and seen the highs and lows. You price yourself out of the market, which VCU has done in the past, you lose customers. The Stu was a cavern when it opened due to this very same issue. VCU is NOT a P5 school. My NC State football tickets are cheaper and I'm not watching them play Fordham, fmason, GW and La Salle every year. There needs to be a serious reality check here by the athletic department.

VCU Heel

Elite Member
It's called Economy 101. I have had season tickets for 30+ years at VCU and seen the highs and lows. You price yourself out of the market, which VCU has done in the past, you lose customers. The Stu was a cavern when it opened due to this very same issue. VCU is NOT a P5 school. My NC State football tickets are cheaper and I'm not watching them play Fordham, fmason, GW and La Salle every year. There needs to be a serious reality check here by the athletic department.
VCU having a brewery make beers for them has nothing to do with what you’re talking about. Beers are already $9 and it’s actually just as good as you’ll get in any bar in the Fan when it’s not happy hour. This is a total non-issue.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
VCU having a brewery make beers for them has nothing to do with what you’re talking about. Beers are already $9 and it’s actually just as good as you’ll get in any bar in the Fan when it’s not happy hour. This is a total non-issue.

It's all relative. You just don't want to see it.

Havoc City

Elite Member
Maybe. I think it is dependent on the field. The world of college athletics is high risk/ high reward/ high failure. I think a lot of non former players that started in coaching -even today, is volunteering at some point.
Lots of people in med school do the same thing. My ex was a Physicians Ass't and she had to spend a year and a half volunteering to have her application taken seriously. If this was a job interning at Capital One or some soul draining corporation -yes, it would be behind the times. But for college athletics I think it works.
Dont get me wrong. It would be nice if they paid $$. But if they don't have money in the budget, I think its fair to post it and see if there are takers.
They have the budget. They're just choosing to spend the money elsewhere and instead rely on unpaid labor, which ought to be illegal. The internship model is exploitative. Period.

VCU Finance 2008

Elite Member

I agree that I don't think there will be many sellouts this season, but that's a separate issue from branding a beer from a local brewery. Single game tickets are much cheaper and before the reseating there were a lot of seats available on the sidelines in the season ticket sections. I suspect there will be again this season. I am sure some people did not renew this season after getting screwed last season, so there will be some gaps in the season ticket sections that they will sell individually. I am good with branding a beer though.