The Official Off Season Thread

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Look at Belmont!!! Taking a major step forward.

A10 schools not named Dayton or VCU need to take note.

Russ Grimm is there as director of fundraising. He was a VCU RAF rep at one time. He invited me to lunch once. I picked HogHead Cafe near where I work and I got the bacon wrapped jumbo hot dog, deep-fried & topped with pulled pork. Ah the memories.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Russ Grimm is there as director of fundraising. He was a VCU RAF rep at one time. He invited me to lunch once. I picked HogHead Cafe near where I work and I got the bacon wrapped jumbo hot dog, deep-fried & topped with pulled pork. Ah the memories.
Russ is good people, was bummed to see him go. If memory serves, it was a good move for him personally as well as professionally.

urmite

Elite Member
I wonder how many of those I’d have to eat to get to be his size?

Ramaholic

Elite Member
No problem. But this might work...

10.) Jacob Gilyard 5’9 160, G, 5th-YR-SR, Richmond

2020-21 stats: 12.3 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 3.6 SPG

Gilly’s name is soon to be etched into the College Hoops record book for eternity– the Richmond guard is only 27 swipes away from passing John Linehan for the top spot in career steals. The nation’s top steals getter brings a valuable scoring skillset to one of the few teams that deploy the Princeton offense.
More like Gilly's name is about to have an asterisk etched into the College hoops record book for eternity, as he will have not broke the record in 4 playing years, but 5 playing years due to Covid. Not a real record. Not as good as Briante, who finished his career total in 3.5 years due to an horrendous, gut-retching injury that a handful of Spider fans cheered for.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I wonder how many of those I’d have to eat to get to be his size?

i suspect you are joking, but it’s fun to believe that you actually think a NFL Hall of Famer OL with no connections to VCU, would be a fundraiser for us.

urmite

Elite Member
i suspect you are joking, but it’s fun to believe that you actually think a NFL Hall of Famer OL with no connections to VCU, would be a fundraiser for us.
If AA asked him to, yes I do…

;)

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
More like Gilly's name is about to have an asterisk etched into the College hoops record book for eternity, as he will have not broke the record in 4 playing years, but 5 playing years due to Covid. Not a real record. Not as good as Briante, who finished his career total in 3.5 years due to an horrendous, gut-retching injury that a handful of Spider fans cheered for.
I'm not even sure it should be in any record book when it took 20% more playing time in ordet to be able to get there.

Roger Maris also had an asterisk beside his name when he broke Babe Ruth's home run record. Played in more games than the Babe.

Ram14

Elite Member
Insider
I'm not even sure it should be in any record book when it took 20% more playing time in ordet to be able to get there.
I think you also have to see how many games into this season before he breaks the record to be fair. Keep in mind that though this is Year 5, that Year 3 was cut short by no A-10 Tournament and no postseason tournament ( see NCAA, NIT, etc ). That Year 4 was reduced by 4 games inititially by the NCAA, they maybe lost a couple that couldn't be made up, and of course all the injuries cut their season hopes short. I would guess that Covid cost them at least 7-9 games. ( that might be about how many games Bri missed , but I am not sure, but all records often are reached on the backs of others that might have had their careers abreviated by injuries). I am totally against this extra year and feel it was and is a big mistake by the NCAA, still I am not holding that against Jacob as he has been excellent. Again, let's not complain about an extra season being the reason for breaking the record until we see when he breaks it. I think it was likely to be his sans Covid the last two seasons. I also think that if Bri had not been injured he would have put the record out of reach !!!!

****Looked it up: Bri missed 15 games after the UR loss in which he was injured. That's a lot and yes if he had played those games with his steal rate I am not so sure even an extra season would have provided a player a chance to catch him. I just don't think that has anything to do with the record and Gilyard deserving or not, expecially if he catches it within 10 games . Just my opinion and it is coming from a guy who loves Bri and was heartbroken for him after his injury.

Last edited: