The Official Off Season Thread

SteveMM

Elite Member
I read somewhere that Kern can play every position but center. Is there any chance we're planning for him to be the backup PG ... particularly if Bones stays?

Ramikin

Elite Member
Insider
I think we’re going to see Curry higher in the rotation. He’s got what it takes and then some, he’s just got to put it all together. I think he’ll do it. We missed him in transition down the stretch. Missed his strong finishes.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
Starters:
Ace
Bones
Williams
DeLoach/Ward (or a transfer)
Ward/transfer

2nd team:
Banks/Bones/transfer
Watkins/Bones/Banks/Curry
McAllister/Watkins
MBJ/DeLoach
Stockard

Spot minutes: Kern/Curry

I love what I see from Kern, but he's still raw, and Banks has earned a bigger role.

Last edited:

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Starters:
Ace
Bones
Williams
DeLoach/Ward (or a transfer)
Ward/transfer

2nd team:
Banks/Bones/transfer
Watkins/Bones/Banks/Curry
McCallister/Watkins
MBJ/DeLoach
Stockard

Spot minutes: Kern/Curry

I love what I see from Kern, but he's still raw, and Banks has earned a bigger role.
And how did McCallister get on the 2nd team and Curry gets just spot minutes when you and I have seen McCallister (2.7 ppg) play all of 114 minutes vs Curry @ 884 minutes (5.8ppg)?

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I think it is hard to pick first and second teams out of this group next year, if everyone left stays. Every player on this team next year could be a starter somewhere else and I'm talking about a starter on a good team. The depth will be ridiculous. If we add a Wahab or one of the many good combo guards out there? Wow.

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
Wahab committed to Maryland, so it won’t be him.
Most of the really good non-P6 transfers are going to want to "transfer up" to P6 if possible/offered. P6 is where the prestige, visibility, and exposure is so they will get first dibs in most cases (especially now w/ immediate eligibility).

VCU's best bet is to grab the "under-the-radar" low major non-P6 semi-stud who doesn't have too many offers (like Korey Billbury - Oral Roberts or Marcus Evans - Rice or Dejon Jarreau - UMass or Blake Francis - Wagner) or the underutilized, underappreciated, perhaps disgruntled, "need a clean slate," or "caught in a positional logjam" P6 kid (like Jamie Skeen - Wake Forest). Quentin Grimes (Kansas to Houston) is another perfect example. So is Kyle Washington (NC State to Cincinnati). So is Landers Nolley (Va Tech to Memphis). Even Alterique Gilbert (UConn to Wichita St) to a degree.

Highly unlikely we're even on the the radar for studs like McKissic, Locke, Wahab, etc..............regardless of HS recruiting history. P5s are all over those guys.

Mike and the staff better be prepared to open up immediate playing time for these "eligible now" transfers because they're not coming to VCU to "earn" PT or just be part of the team............if they're worth reaching out to and bringing aboard, they'll have a "productive track record" and they'll want/expect to play (guaranteed minutes/role). That may push existing players down the depth chart. There is a "playing time" pecking order.

Next year may not be an "easy manage" (minutes-wise) like this year.

2020-21 = 13 kids; one went down pre-season (McAllister), one clearly wasn't ready or expected to be (BMB), one got dismissed mid-way (Clark), one had family issues late (Curry). All that made it "relatively" easy to manage minutes/roles/cohesion/morale (for 9-11 kids).

2021-22 = 14 kids (possibly); if Bones returns, we use the portal, all players are healthy, and there are no redshirts, managing minutes/roles/expectations could be very dicey; every one of these 14 kids will want/expect to play (likely no projects or incoming frosh that "aren't ready"). Every kid on the team last season will likely expect to play (at least) as much as he did last season. The "newbies" are going to expect some minutes (i.e. "promises on the trail"). With just 200 available minutes, players 11-14 (i.e. guys outside the regular 10-man rotation) aren't going to be thrilled. Something's gotta give.

In a normal year (with 13 schollies, redshirts, and injuries), we usually suit up about 11 kids a game.