The Official Off Season Thread

duncanlamb

Top Member
Apr 22, 2009

Chris Beard shocked the college basketball world on Thursday with the news that he was going to Austin, Texas to take over as the next head coach of the Texas Longhorns. He then made a surprising reveal during his introductory press conference that he and Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte finalized a deal in three hours inside of a hotel room while having McDonald’s breakfast.

According to Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman, Del Conte had an Egg McMuffin and a coffee. Beard had an ice tea.

“I like Planview,” Beard said, according to Brian Davis of the Austin American-Statesman. “I didn’t have a chance to show Chris around. There’s much more than the McDonald’s in Plainview, I promise you.”

It might not sound all that luxurious for such a big deal to get settled over a fast food meal, but for Beard, it was kind of fitting. In previous press conferences, Beard has raved about his love of one fast food joint in particular, but it wasn’t McDonald’s. Instead, Beard has been a noted advocate for Whataburger.

The Texas-based fast food restaurant is one of the more popular establishments in the country and is starting to expand to new regions, with locations in Colorado, Kansas and Missouri set to open in the future. In March of 2018, Beard gave a lengthy answer about his love for Whataburger.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009

Chris Beard shocked the college basketball world on Thursday with the news that he was going to Austin, Texas to take over as the next head coach of the Texas Longhorns. He then made a surprising reveal during his introductory press conference that he and Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte finalized a deal in three hours inside of a hotel room while having McDonald’s breakfast.

According to Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman, Del Conte had an Egg McMuffin and a coffee. Beard had an ice tea.

“I like Planview,” Beard said, according to Brian Davis of the Austin American-Statesman. “I didn’t have a chance to show Chris around. There’s much more than the McDonald’s in Plainview, I promise you.”

It might not sound all that luxurious for such a big deal to get settled over a fast food meal, but for Beard, it was kind of fitting. In previous press conferences, Beard has raved about his love of one fast food joint in particular, but it wasn’t McDonald’s. Instead, Beard has been a noted advocate for Whataburger.

The Texas-based fast food restaurant is one of the more popular establishments in the country and is starting to expand to new regions, with locations in Colorado, Kansas and Missouri set to open in the future. In March of 2018, Beard gave a lengthy answer about his love for Whataburger.
Can you clarify - did Beard have an ice tea and an Egg McMuffin, or just an ice tea?

SteveMM

Top Member
Feb 1, 2016
It's starting to seem like the lack of White Castle locations in Richmond is going to leave us at a recruiting disadvantage. I suspect VCU is looking into getting one built next to the BDC.

Reactions: Ululating Daddy

VCUPepBandRules

Top Member
Jan 30, 2012
Then Ed better start a capital campaign to upgrade the plumbing in the BDC.
I think we need to look at a Virginia based fast food burger chain with a global presence. While Ed's shifting funds from the athletic village proposed by The Dimond to facilitate the BDC's plumbing, he should also focus on enticing Five Guys to move their headquarters from Lorton to The Stu. Once the move is made, then VCU will be a powerhouse among D1 NCAA Athletics in regards to fast food...

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
Then Ed better start a capital campaign to upgrade the plumbing in the BDC.

You know why they call them sliders?
Great response... but just remember who’s holding your hand when you’re wasted at 2 am. If it’s not Waffle House or del taco it’s a White Castle.

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
My own personal nemesis was the taco bell in the student commons. I still get the chills remembering my first day of grad school, being stuck in the old graduate studios (at the time in that old school building on Floyd just west of Harrison), which didn't have bathrooms which were very functional. *stares vacantly into the middle distance*

DisplacedRam

Top Member
Insider
Mar 21, 2017
Great response... but just remember who’s holding your hand when you’re wasted at 2 am. If it’s not Waffle House or del taco it’s a White Castle.

I know it's like the lowest of the low for fast food tacos and burritos but Del Taco is still somehow one of the places I miss from my years living out west.

Reactions: squid1622

squid1622

Top Member
Mar 5, 2012
I know it's like the lowest of the low for fast food tacos and burritos but Del Taco is still somehow one of the places I miss from my years living out west.
It’s so good. There’s a local chain in Phoenix that just barely beats them out (only if you’re in Phoenix) called Filibertos. Other than that Del Taco is amazing. Or the tacos from Jack in the Box... 2 for a $1.

Reactions: DisplacedRam