The Official Off Season Thread

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Rams were looking for a Cinderella story - instead they get a horror story. This will likely have an adverse effect on next season's preseason rankings. With one NCAA win, Rams might have been in '21-22 preseason Top 25 .... not likely now.

Exactly how can this have an adverse effect on next year's pre-season rankings? VCU didn't play the game. It's not like they just lost to Oregon by 50 points. If VCU had of lost to Oregon by 5 points, do you think that would also have had an adverse effect on next year's rankings? :roll: :roll::roll:

This team will most likely be pre-season ranked top 3 in the A10 if all our pieces stay. I think the unfinished feeling of the end of this season is going to drive this team to unimaginable heights next season. They are going to play with a chip on their shoulder.
My thoughts as well.

So my brother is into stats and estimates that Bones had one of the 11 best statistical seasons in last 40 plus years. Forgot what a beast of a season JT had in’17

View attachment 9350View attachment 9350'
love analytics as a tool but VCU's best ever players at next level Gerald Henderson , Treveon Graham and Troy Daniels are nowhere to be seen on analytics charts - (though IMHO the player that could have had the best and longest tenure in the Show was Larry Sanders had the motivation to excel been a little stronger)
no debating, in my mind that Bones has unique skills that transfer well to the NBA but the question is can improve on the holes he still has in his game (strength, defense and ......) enough in the minds of NBA scouts,GMs and coaches to climb into that 1st round

Go Rams and Please Stay another Bones (you make trips to the Stu that much more exciting)

My thoughts as well.
I think the team stays together. Have to think we will be looking for a good scoring PG or wing in the transfer market. I think MR has built some credit to start pulling highly sort-after players.

I think the team stays together. Have to think we will be looking for a good scoring PG or wing in the transfer market. I think MR has built some credit to start pulling highly sort-after players.

I see that as well. We're pointing up. That said, we have to improve our batting average in our OOC games across the board and have to stop losing a game or two we have no business losing to bottom feeders in the A10 like we do every year.

love analytics as a tool but VCU's best ever players at next level Gerald Henderson , Treveon Graham and Troy Daniels are nowhere to be seen on analytics charts - (though IMHO the player that could have had the best and longest tenure in the Show was Larry Sanders had the motivation to excel been a little stronger)
no debating, in my mind that Bones has unique skills that transfer well to the NBA but the question is can improve on the holes he still has in his game (strength, defense and ......) enough in the minds of NBA scouts,GMs and coaches to climb into that 1st round

Go Rams and Please Stay another Bones (you make trips to the Stu that much more exciting)

I think he needs another year at least, maybe two.

Finally! I love the offseason thread.

Recruiting has fallen off. Too many stars leaving the team. Sounds like a toxic atmosphere in the locker room. Coach is definitely on the hot seat this year. I say we fire him unless the team gets off to a hot start at the beginning of next season against the out of conference teams.

Too early for this type of talk?

SWV

Elite Member

Recruiting has fallen off. Too many stars leaving the team. Sounds like a toxic atmosphere in the locker room. Coach is definitely on the hot seat this year. I say we fire him unless the team gets off to a hot start at the beginning of next season against the out of conference teams.

Is this supposed to be funny? I don’t understand.

Havoc City

Elite Member
Any VCU fan who does not want Bones to test the draft waters is NOT a VCU fan. I’m fully confident that the coaching staff will talk to Bones about his future and discuss the feedback he received from scouts and teams.

I would love to see Bones play another year at VCU, but I’d also be giddy on draft night if VCU has a 1st round draft pick.

Time will tell.
I'm confident that Ram Nation is going to root for Bones next year whether or not he is at VCU or in the NBA. The kid is a winner and is a great ambassador of our program. We love him, we're proud of him, and we'll be fans of his for the rest of his career.

Ram it!!!

HAVOC still lives here

Elite Member

Troll get lost. Everyone knows who you are and you are simply worthless in the eyes of many.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I don’t want be negative but is there a chance this covid heart break could somehow cause transfers? It’s a emotional time and people make irrational decisions in the heat of disappointment sometimes. I hope we don’t lose anyone.
I think the bigger issues of transfers is a lot of good players and not enough minutes to satisfy everyone. I think these guys can see what we see, if the core of this team stays together for next year, plus incoming players, this team could be special. Hopefully that keeps any transfer fever to a minimum. We'll find out.

maybe I am too much a traditionalist but I believe MR needs to go after a 5 (center type) that can play on the perimeter and make 3s but bang inside and hold their own as well as pass from the perimeter - right now MRs approach to the 5 position is one that sets picks 20-30 feet from the rim and rolls to the basket and may or may not got a pass near the rim for a layup or dunk or a few back to the basket opportunities like Stockard- also with Ward he adds the additional skill of running 94 feet well rim to rim - which is nice but I prefer a 5 that can actually shoot from the perimeter and clear the lane more
I see a lot of these underdogs in the tourney with a big that is an actual offensive threat from the perimeter even though they maybe a step slow of foot vs P5 bigs
MR has always been successful recruiting at the 1-4 positions with athletic lean (for the most part) players that fit into the 5 man out offensive approach we see most often run by our Rams
I think if we had that 5 position turn into an offensive threat from the perimeter along with 4 athletic players at the 1-4 slots would take us to the next level and make us more dangerous versus P5 schools
just spitballing here (so be gentle in your replies and analysis)