The Official Off Season Thread

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
"The Flying Squirrels" play "Yard Goats" with Nutsy "going nuts", the big time, methinks we'll be OK wth what we have.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I was just there a couple of weeks ago. It could have been maintained, should be renovated. 36 years old is NOT old. 20 million dollars for something you'll be demolishing 36 years later is an outrage.
My opinion on The Diamond is not a needle in a haystack, people who know their stuff also agree, hearing it live from professional announcers during one of our games verified my thoughts.
Riding high on a gazillion dollar budget for a sport that's less than fully embraced justifies working with what we already have. How many on this forum have attended more than 3 games a year there, in any year?

I have, and it's a dump. There have been chunks of concrete break away from the support columns over the seating. College baseball stadiums have far better locker rooms than the Diamond. The batting cages underneath are on a converted parking area. The Richmond Braves left for a reason, and the Squirrels will also if a new stadium is not built.

A 36 year old stadium that has not been renovated to meet current standards is a dinosaur. It's no different than VCU building a $25 million BDC in order to compete with other schools. The Diamond is the equivalent of Franklin Street Gym. Even Fredericksburg stepped up and built a new baseball stadium that's much nicer than the Diamond. And that was for a low A baseball team only.

Newboy

Top Member
Mar 2, 2014
Well if not VCU, then Chesterfield, Henrico/Hanover will need to step up. I wonder if Green City has a space for a baseball stadium?

Reactions: MobileMunchies

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I was out at the Diamond for the A-10 Championship game. Half of the scoreboard did not even work. The runs tracked by inning did not work. They were keeping track of the inning by using the "AB" number. Runs were being tracked under "Hits". The rest of the scoreboard that keeps track of innings, runs, hits and errors were completely dark. How embarrassing is that when you are hosting a D1 college post-season conference tournament!!!

Reactions: share the ball
Apr 20, 2009
I was out at the Diamond for the A-10 Championship game. Half of the scoreboard did not even work. The runs tracked by inning did not work. They were keeping track of the inning by using the "AB" number. Runs were being tracked under "Hits". The rest of the scoreboard that keeps track of innings, runs, hits and errors were completely dark. How embarrassing is that when you are hosting a D1 college post-season conference tournament!!!
Sounds like it was functioning as well as the shot clock at the Stu.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Well if not VCU, then Chesterfield, Henrico/Hanover will need to step up. I wonder if Green City has a space for a baseball stadium?
VCU is (supposedly) stepping up. They're acquiring the necessary land and will probably take the lead in building the new ballpark, though it interestingly was not part of their most recent master plan (the ballpark is separate from the VCU Athletic Village).

Henrico is building a new baseball stadium at Dorey Park, with an estimated completion date of 2022. I'm not sure it's a full size ballpark, though, most of the baseball/softball facilities at Dorey Park are meant for youth ball, and it's being compared to RF&P Stadium, which has Little League specs. Green City doesn't include a baseball stadium, just the arena.

Chesterfield offered to help fund the new VCU/Squirrels ballpark in exchange for the city contribuing to maintenance of Henricus Historical Park, but I don't know if that deal actually happened. There doesn't appear to be interest in building a stadium within the county, even though they could very easily build one at the River City SportsPlex off Genito Road.

Hanover has too much of a NIMBY problem, they'll never build a baseball stadium in our lifetimes.

Reactions: WestEndEd

share the ball

Top Member
Dec 16, 2013
36 years for a sports stadium is old but it is also important to note that old does not mean the building isn't functional. Maybe if the stadium had been updated over the years it would be a different story. But little to no care has gone into the venue which has helped accelerate the aging process.

problem has always been the stadium project never made money for the city of richmond and counties that supported initially
MiLB owners rely upon ciites to subsidize/own/build stadiums and typically get favorable leases that allow owners to make money - rare for owners to put a lot of their own capital at risk and financing is usually structured for owners personal assets to be free from any claims of bondholders in case of default

for example, Fredricksburg has agreed to contribute a little over $1 million annually to pay debt service on the bonds used to finance construction- Fredricksburg expects to get $600-700k annually in new tax revenues from events at the stadium and then will have to come up with another $300k to 400k in net income from activities to break even (city gets to use the stadium for like 180 days a year for concerts etc. - ) so other than the amenity they are providing to their citizens, probably no return on their investment and use of debt capacity to finance (financing is done through a conduit organization, (Fredricksburg Economic Development authority) so technically Fredricksburg has no risk for default on bonds

Not a lot of teams/owners reinvest in fixing and modernizing stadiums they play in but don't own, and localities rarely reinvest in those buildings until there are critical deficiencies like falling concrete

I am still the lonely voice here encouraging VCU to build its own 2500-4000 seat baseball stadium

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
problem has always been the stadium project never made money for the city of richmond and counties that supported initially
MiLB owners rely upon ciites to subsidize/own/build stadiums and typically get favorable leases that allow owners to make money - rare for owners to put a lot of their own capital at risk and financing is usually structured for owners personal assets to be free from any claims of bondholders in case of default

for example, Fredricksburg has agreed to contribute a little over $1 million annually to pay debt service on the bonds used to finance construction- Fredricksburg expects to get $600-700k annually in new tax revenues from events at the stadium and then will have to come up with another $300k to 400k in net income from activities to break even (city gets to use the stadium for like 180 days a year for concerts etc. - ) so other than the amenity they are providing to their citizens, probably no return on their investment and use of debt capacity to finance (financing is done through a conduit organization, (Fredricksburg Economic Development authority) so technically Fredricksburg has no risk for default on bonds

Not a lot of teams/owners reinvest in fixing and modernizing stadiums they play in but don't own, and localities rarely reinvest in those buildings until there are critical deficiencies like falling concrete

I am still the lonely voice here encouraging VCU to build its own 2500-4000 seat baseball stadium
I would get behind a VCU only baseball facility.... as long as it happens as quickly as possible

RonnieDobbs

Top Member
May 20, 2009
I'm no expert but no offense, I don't for one second believe that. Sounds like what I'd tell my dad when needing money for new tires and I wouldn't settle for the basics. But yeah 4 wheeling in hatteras did require better. He'd always said champagne taste on a water budget.
Verifiable facts from a trusted source. I always thought you were reasonable MM. Do you just not like baseball?

rvaram

Top Member
Mar 26, 2012
I know part of the plan for the new stadium is that it will be built with separate spaces for vcu and the squirrels.

So far, I think the squirrels have been a solid asset to the city and a good corporate partner. I'm glad vcu decided to work with them on this stadium.

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Verifiable facts from a trusted source. I always thought you were reasonable MM. Do you just not like baseball?
I saw nearly every home braves game from the back fence... we were the punks who occupied the back fence directly under the scoreboard for nearly the entire game when the fence slats used to be horizontal, instead of vertical. It was there and at that time where I perfected my atomic belch to distract opposing outfielders- I could get A thru Z two and a half times in one belch, as a youngin. I grew up on grace near blvd, so Parker Field was a very short walk and where our parents knew we could go and get out of their hair- in the Chico Ruiz days.

(Caution: rant)
I'm just a native metro dude who drives over warzone-like "paved" streets every day here, alleyways even a monster truck would have issues with, who compianed for 16 years about no alley gravel where we live (I used to steal gravel form construction sites and haul it home in recycle bins to fill potholes in the alley.. a beyond labor intensive task a couple times per year, showeling in in getting blister son my food-prepping hands, ugh, in the process). I was relentlessly being met with "we're out of money" responses, until I finally got the right ear- a new city council person who is also a longtime ram fan. It's when she put in the request in her name that we fonally got gravel two weeks later. I called in dead end sign requests for 14 yers until they finally out some in after my truck was hit in the drivers door twice, our other truck had it's bumper ripped off by people trying to turn around here. Our streets are also trashed, potholes barely filled, and if they are they're made worse. We have NO streelights, no trash cans (the street serves that purpose), and no sidewalks here... you have to walk in the destroyed streets to take a dog walk and watch your back to keep from getting hit by a crazed cutting-thru-the-hood college student driving with a phone in their hands. We need more stoplights- jaws of life were required to cut a back seat occupant out of their car on Chamberlayne a couple of weeks ago, year before that same place, a driver crossed chamberlayne and smashed into a building partially collapsing it- a fatality. But everyone loves the "development" going on. I could go on, but I think it gets the point across, I don't wanna hear a peep about building anything until some work (ANY work) is done around here for the citizens who are paying the bills for them, first.