The Official Off Season Thread

share the ball

Top Member
Dec 16, 2013
What I would love to see as the next level in our programs climb back to the top 25 is MR being able to land one of the top 3 players in the Commonwealth of Va and own the top prospect in our metropolitan area at least once every 3 years
MR needs to get beyond finding the diamond in the rough (so to speak) or the overlooked recruit with high ceiling and land a big kahuna vs the Dukes' UNC , Kansas , KY and so on
(I also think a slightly more ambitious OOC schedule would help recruiting even if it means two more tough road games in november and december.)
As way of background we have done this before (i.e get the best in state local high school player ) with Kendrick Warren and maybe Ed Sherrod
But no doubt this years group of freshmen and transfers is the strongest class in quite awhile - MR and Staff have delivered on that side of the equation now just coach em up and put them in a system to maximize their talents (which might be exactly the system we are currently running)
Go Rams

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
What I would love to see as the next level in our programs climb back to the top 25 is MR being able to land one of the top 3 players in the Commonwealth of Va and own the top prospect in our metropolitan area at least once every 3 years
MR needs to get beyond finding the diamond in the rough (so to speak) or the overlooked recruit with high ceiling and land a big kahuna vs the Dukes' UNC , Kansas , KY and so on
(I also think a slightly more ambitious OOC schedule would help recruiting even if it means two more tough road games in november and december.)
As way of background we have done this before (i.e get the best in state local high school player ) with Kendrick Warren and maybe Ed Sherrod
But no doubt this years group of freshmen and transfers is the strongest class in quite awhile - MR and Staff have delivered on that side of the equation now just coach em up and put them in a system to maximize their talents (which might be exactly the system we are currently running)
Go Rams
I'd love to see that too, but I'm fairly sure what you described is a higher level of recruiting than Shaka's best (not positive how highly regarded Coleman was coming out of high school). Not to say Mike can't beat that, just that it's a big ask. High aspirations are great; high expectations can sometimes lead to disappointment - although it looks like Mike will get a chance to compete with some very blue blood during Lamothe's recruitment.

Last edited:

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I'd love to see that too, but I'm fairly sure what you described is a higher level of recruiting than Shaka's best (not positive how highly regarded Coleman was coming out of high school). Not to say Mike can't beat that, just that it's a big ask. High aspirations are great; high expectations can sometimes lead to disappointment - although it looks like Mike will get a chance to compete with some very blue blood during Lamothe's recruitment.
Coleman was a consensus 4* out of HS. The same recruiting class had 5* Mo Bamba. Shaka has had multiple 5* commitments to Texas while he was there, so Mike still has a ways to go. I feel like we’ve done just fine though.

Reactions: mrgeode

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
Coleman was a consensus 4* out of HS. The same recruiting class had 5* Mo Bamba. Shaka has had multiple 5* commitments to Texas while he was there, so Mike still has a ways to go. I feel like we’ve done just fine though.
To be clear, I meant Shaka's best here. I knew Coleman was a 4 star but don't recall what his standing was in Virginia at the time. He was bound to be close to the top but perhaps not top 3 in the state.

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Top Member
Mar 22, 2013
If the recruiting continues at its current trajectory I dont really care where they come from, VA or otherwise
Yeah, if we keep sniping the best talent away from the Baltimore metro it won't bother me one bit. As I see it, local and in state talent is a nice bonus. I want the best we can get - if that means a guy from VA or a local kid, great. If not, great, he'll be a local to us after he finishes here.

RAMification

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Not going to lie, but Coach's son is looking really sharp on the court these days. I think his heart is more in football, though, which is a bit of a shame because he's a decent basketball player who had a great teacher
Not going to lie, but Coach's son is looking really sharp on the court these days. I think his heart is more in football, though, which is a bit of a shame because he's a decent basketball player who had a great teacher.
Has Logan left Mills Godwin and transferred to the Blue Ridge School? That would put him up there with Maliq one of our top targets. I also noticed that he is now listed at 6'2". Since he is a 2023 recruit he will likely experience more growth. To be the best he can be in terms of basketball he will likely have to put football in the rear view mirror. With his increased height and perimeter game I think he definitely has D-1 capabilities.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
Has Logan left Mills Godwin and transferred to the Blue Ridge School? That would put him up there with Maliq one of our top targets. I also noticed that he is now listed at 6'2". Since he is a 2023 recruit he will likely experience more growth. To be the best he can be in terms of basketball he will likely have to put football in the rear view mirror. With his increased height and perimeter game I think he definitely has D-1 capabilities.
Not sure. He was at Godwin just this past year, I haven't heard about him transferring.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009

Coach Rhoades did mention on his radio show that Coach is watching him play a lot of AAU games right now. As a parent, Coach gets to watch a ton of AAU games during the dead period. That's a huge plus in itself for VCU basketball.