The Official Off Season Thread

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
I'm not doubting but why? Does he have particular connections locally?
I would imagine that he is still wired into the Richmond scene, can’t imagine he will have many problems finding open doors. Perhaps more importantly, the connections he’s built internationally may even be more valuable by way of teammates who have picked up jobs across the country, much like Brent.

For Brandon, there aren’t going to be many better mentors for transitioning from an international player to college coach than Brent and being able to come back home has to be a huge blessing.

VCU74

Elite Member
Depending on what his position will be, he may not be able to go on the recruiting trail for VCU. Pretty sure Theus is not allowed to.
That may be but whoever is on the trail can tell about BRozz and what he brings;)

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Directly atleast. I'm sure there are plenty of indirect ways Rozzell could help VCU with if he is not allowed to go out on the trail.

I think you guys are over analyzing his role on the team. Unless an existing assistant coach is leaving, his role with recruiting, etc. will be limited just as it is with Theus. I also don't see him being hired as an assistant coach if one is leaving due to his lack of experience. Yes, he will be an ambassador to VCU basketball, but I highly doubt he is being hired to gain an advantage in recruiting.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
can't imagine how hyped he is for this move in his career. Most of you probably don't realize Luleå isn't just in a foreign land but is waaaaaaaaay up north and extremely isolated on its own. I believe it is about 100 miles from the Arctic Circle 😳

To go from there to your hometown and working for the college team that he clearly has a ton of love for must feel like a dream.

Mercury

Elite Member
I think you guys are over analyzing his role on the team. Unless an existing assistant coach is leaving, his role with recruiting, etc. will be limited just as it is with Theus. I also don't see him being hired as an assistant coach if one is leaving due to his lack of experience. Yes, he will be an ambassador to VCU basketball, but I highly doubt he is being hired to gain an advantage in recruiting.

Looking at most posts in this thread I see plenty of people pointing out we don't even know his role. Nobody is overanalyzing his role since we don't even know it. Of course he isn't being hired to gain an advantage in recruiting but people aren't saying that. They are saying that having a local guy, with local connections on the staff can help in recruiting. Even if he can't directly recruit, the value is there.

TampaKAP

Elite Member
Insider
It feels more likely a "new" position. New being one that did not exist last year. The existing positions that make the most sense are currently filled(of course that could change). Heck someone just hired an assistant to the head coach and WW had an analytics person. Short of Head Coach, I probably wouldn't raise a negative eyebrow about any title he is given. I am happy for Brandon, I imagine he has wanted to come home for some time. Most probably don't remember but he took a break from basketball and tried his hand at selling cars in Richmond to be with his family but basketball is in his blood and he made the decision to go back overseas. If there is a role that allows him to come home and make VCU better, that's all I need to know to be happy for both

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
It feels more likely a "new" position. New being one that did not exist last year. The existing positions that make the most sense are currently filled(of course that could change). Heck someone just hired an assistant to the head coach and WW had an analytics person. Short of Head Coach, I probably wouldn't raise a negative eyebrow about any title he is given. I am happy for Brandon, I imagine he has wanted to come home for some time. Most probably don't remember but he took a break from basketball and tried his hand at selling cars in Richmond to be with his family but basketball is in his blood and he made the decision to go back overseas. If there is a role that allows him to come home and make VCU better, that's all I need to know to be happy for both
Awesome dude, awesome basketball player, awesome dad, and awesome representative of VCU. Whatever role he has going forward, I’m happy for Brandon.

Also - Brandon is competitive as heck. If some of our guys are slacking in practice, you can sure as heck bet The Mayor will drain a few 30ft bombs in their face to get them going.