The Official Squish the Richmond Spiders in Henrico Thread

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
I’ll never understand folks that get so tribal they can‘t extend a little kindness to fellow basketball fans. Now I see that elements of our own fan base are no different. Sad state of affairs.
For some odd reason, regardless of what type of "tribe" for too many in our world, being an ahole to others has become, well, accepted as the norm. I haven't the foggiest clue as to why. :? But on the complete flip, I've seen some of the most amazing people imaginable who make you believe angels walk on this earth on which we all reside. The worst in some bring out the best in others. We all have a choice not only in everyday life but in every situation, every second of life.
Fan/sports wise, making long trips to other venues is seldom easy, and it takes a truly dedicated person to do it. It should be admired no matter what team someone supports. I encourage fellow Rams, when you see an opposing fan, step out of your path to just tap them and let them know thanks for making the trip. It feels so good doing it, you just never know how it can affect others, and the world around you the majority wish would grow to be better. The world around us doesn't just magically get better, it takes those of us who know better making the right steps to make it that way. And you do have that power.

Bluey

Elite Member
Insider
See, how you handle that is go get the largest coke you can get, then as you enter your seat you stumble and pour the entire contents right on the jack holes coats.... Not that I've ever done that of course....

Seriously though I'd have probably grabbed his coats, handed them to him, and sat in that seat and moved my buddies memorial seat away from him.
Both great suggestions. That game started bad and got worse for us, so having the barrier between us and that Pr1ck, probably kept us out of the Waterloo jail.

Bluey

Elite Member
Insider
For some odd reason, regardless of what type of "tribe" for too many in our world, being an ahole to others has become, well, accepted as the norm. I haven't the foggiest clue as to why. :? But on the complete flip, I've seen some of the most amazing people imaginable who make you believe angels walk on this earth on which we all reside. The worst in some bring out the best in others. We all have a choice not only in everyday life but in every situation, every second of life.
Fan/sports wise, making long trips to other venues is seldom easy, and it takes a truly dedicated person to do it. It should be admired no matter what team someone supports. I encourage fellow Rams, when you see an opposing fan, step out of your path to just tap them and let them know thanks for making the trip. It feels so good doing it, you just never know how it can affect others, and the world around you the majority wish would grow to be better. The world around us doesn't just magically get better, it takes those of us who know better making the right steps to make it that way. And you do have that power.

As a Skins/Manders fan living in Dallas, I braced for the worst when we first moved here and attended games…..turned out, most welcoming, fun, give and take fans I’ve ever experienced. There is mostly goodness out there. That’s why it pains me to see VCU fans not being cordial to a single guy looking to enjoy a basketball game. Not the University I attended.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
As a Skins/Manders fan living in Dallas, I braced for the worst when we first moved here and attended games…..turned out, most welcoming, fun, give and take fans I’ve ever experienced. There is mostly goodness out there. That’s why it pains me to see VCU fans not being cordial to a single guy looking to enjoy a basketball game. Not the University I attended.
I WANNA see our team be the better team. Likewise, I wanna see our home and fanbase be one of the ones people talk about in a good way. I hear stories of our fans paying for opposing fans meals and such. It's so easy and weak being petty. But it's easier to be kind. The only way to deal with it is to avoid those people and rise above it in the best way possible.
We gotta be the change we wanna see.

Way back when Grampa L was the gmu coach, we played gmu here and we won. There were two younger guys who were gmu fans getting ready to leave after the game. I walked up to them. You could tell they were ready for some crap to come their way. I said to them "hey, that was a tough game. I hope y'all take care going north on I-95. That trip can be a bear. Good luck." The change in their faces was amazing. I have always remembered that exchange. It wasn't that hard to do.
On the flip side, we were in Brooklyn for VCU's first A-10 tourney. We went to some eatery and we ran into some Dayton fans (definitely red sweater). They said, "oh, we're in the same hotel as the VCU band." So, I was expecting - here it comes - something bad. They proceed to describe how happy that group seemed to be and they looked out for each other. I asked if they were loud. And they said they didn't hear anything and some of them were on their floor. You never know. It made us feel good and, of course, we had another reason to be proud of the band (Thanks, Ryan).

buckwheat

Elite Member
As a transplant myself, I’ve attended more games than I can count as an opposing fan. I’ve never once had an issue. I always try to chat with those around me. Talk about their team, program, stadium, whatever. Being friendly always puts people at ease in general.

If my team starts winning, I know when to shut my mouth. Of course stuff can happen out of one’s control, but in my experience it usually takes two to tango. I couldn’t imagine getting a hot temper at a sporting event.

I was at that UNI game as well. It’s a shame if one guy was being that way. I had some great conversations with their fans that day. Overall, really nice people.

rammed

Elite Member
As a transplant myself, I’ve attended more games than I can count as an opposing fan. I’ve never once had an issue. I always try to chat with those around me. Talk about their team, program, stadium, whatever. Being friendly always puts people at ease in general.

If my team starts winning, I know when to shut my mouth. Of course stuff can happen out of one’s control, but in my experience it usually takes two to tango. I couldn’t imagine getting a hot temper at a sporting event.

I was at that UNI game as well. It’s a shame if one guy was being that way. I had some great conversations with their fans that day. Overall, really nice people.
I try to be respectful at the opponent’s venue. I don’t like it when visiting fans are jerks. Plus there are nuts looking for a fight. I remember one road trip when we waxed East Carolina. As my daughter and I walked out of the arena, there were several guys trying to pick fights. I know it was backwoods NC but, still…

BigE

Elite Member
The refs were truly trying to keep this game close so online betters didn't lose but so much money, but sorry betters, there's only but so much a ref can do.
they are not but still think they are better !
1674426623958.png1674426660118.png1674426666060.png

RESRam

Insider
I thought Tyler Burton’s post game interviews were self reflective and admirable. Took personal responsibility for not having played up to the team’s or his personal standards. Don’t see that often.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
I thought Tyler Burton’s post game interviews were self reflective and admirable. Took personal responsibility for not having played up to the team’s or his personal standards. Don’t see that often.
Was just chatting with a friend about him- mature, humble, great young man. There's good reason their fans cheer for him so loudly, he'll be a great teammate wherever he eventually lands, and it definitely appears like it'll be in the league. Maybe like Vince and Gilyard, Burton and Shriver (who should also be getting some peeks from NBA scouts) will end up at the same place.
2023-01-22_181324.jpg

Mr X

Elite Member
Insider
I don't care if it is a one bid league, as long as the one is VCU.

Sorry, I'm different from a lot of other people. I want to have SOLE possession of 1st place at the end of the season. Hoping for St. Louis or Dayton to win, just so they have a better NET, is not what I want. For that to help us, you have to assume we win at St. Louis and beat Dayton at home. At this point in the season, while I think we could do just that, I don't want to bet our standings that that is going to happen. We would need to win BOTH of those games and otherwise keep pace with two teams. Odds are against us to do that. Beat the odds? Sure, but it is not assured. Push both of them two or three games below us. Then it won't matter.

This is how people set themselves up for disappointment. They set unrealistic expectations for future outcomes, some that they have no control over, and when it does not play out the way they wanted, they whine about it. Not me. I want to do the BEST we can do and to he!! with everybody else. If we do that, we'll be fine.

Hope to see EVERYBODY in Brooklyn for our FIRST game on Friday at noon. Thursday at 11:30 am.
c6ba2e3fdaf21790b23ae8064daee92d--raiders-football-raiders-baby.jpg