The Official VCU Baseball Thread

Apr 30, 2009
There are a lot of new players that will be on the 2015 team, and the state of Pennsylvania seems to be well represented by the new players. If VCU ever hopes to have the quality baseball teams it once had in the CAA, don't know if that is possible in the A-10, the coaching staff needs to start getting some of the better high school talent in the Richmond region.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
There are a lot of new players that will be on the 2015 team, and the state of Pennsylvania seems to be well represented by the new players. If VCU ever hopes to have the quality baseball teams it once had in the CAA, don't know if that is possible in the A-10, the coaching staff needs to start getting some of the better high school talent in the Richmond region.
Is there any??? I never got a serious baseball vibe from RVa high schools. Gotta go where the talent is. Now, if we start losin' RVa baseball kids to ECU and the like.....then you have a point.

Of course, there is the total lack of facilities to factor in as well....but we've beaten that topic like a rented mule.

question...do people beat their OWN mules are just the rented one???

Jan 30, 2010
Is there any??? I never got a serious baseball vibe from RVa high schools. Gotta go where the talent is. Now, if we start losin' RVa baseball kids to ECU and the like.....then you have a point.

Of course, there is the total lack of facilities to factor in as well....but we've beaten that topic like a rented mule.

Richmond actually is a hot bed for Division 1 baseball talent. Most of the kids the Rams used to get from Richmond are now jetting for UVA, VMI and other top out of state programs(UNC,NC State,etc.) There is a lot of quality baseball being played around the area these days.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
did not know that......hard to compete with UVa and a kid heck bent on a military career, so I guess it IS a concern to be losing D1 RVa talent.

I will heed the words of @BLACK&BLUE more better in the future:D

Aug 17, 2009

Mills Godwin, Deep Run, and a couple other schools generate some solid baseball players. The American Legion posts around Virginia are typically good sources of talent for college and the pros as well.

Mar 27, 2009
Lots of High D1 and MLB draft talent in Richmond going back decades and currently. South of the James, James River, Manchester, Cosby, Clover Hill, Thomas Dale in Chesterfield crank out some good players. Prince George and Dinwiddie also produce good players. We've lost out a lot to UVA, VMI, Tech and even jmu in recent years.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
You left off Matoaca ...several d1 players over the years
Lots of High D1 and MLB draft talent in Richmond going back decades and currently. South of the James, James River, Manchester, Cosby, Clover Hill, Thomas Dale in Chesterfield crank out some good players. Prince George and Dinwiddie also produce good players. We've lost out a lot to UVA, VMI, Tech and even jmu in recent years.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
incoming recruits....Pearson looks like a keeper. Drafted by the O's in round 34 this year. Not too shabby

http://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx

Garrett Pearson

Nat Rank

RHP6-5215R-RSt Johns CollegeRockvilleMD

Daane Berezo

Nat Rank

IF5-8165L-RPine-RichlandWexfordPA

Haiden Lamb

Nat Rank

OF5-10160R-RLee DavisMechanicsvilleVA

Alex Preston

Nat Rank

RHP5-9170R-RStonewall JacksonManassasVA

Sean Thompson

Nat Rank

RHP6-4185R-RIndiana Area ShsIndianaPA

Jeff Welch

Nat Rank

3B6-0180R-RWeddingtonMatthewsNC

Tanner Winters

Nat Rank

RHP6-5205R-RSouthamptonFranklinVA

Full current roster
http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2014-15/roster

Reactions: SpiderRAM

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
I know it's early as the season practically just started.... But there's already a kid to watch for next year at VCU.

Haden Lamb... A senior at Lee-Davis HS this year, committed to VCU in his Junior year.

This kid is really good. We played Glen Allen last night, he went 4-5 (started 3-3) and had 4 stolen bases by the 5th inning in a 9-4 win over Glen Allen.

He's very fast, and is a really good in CF. Think of the best CF you can think of.. Bernie Williams, Johnny Damon, Jacoby Ellsbury, Curtis Granderson.... Etc.

Don't know how he hits power wise, but be can certainly beat out infield hits n such.

incoming recruits....Pearson looks like a keeper. Drafted by the O's in round 34 this year. Not too shabby

http://www.perfectgame.org/College/CollegeCommitments.aspx

Haiden Lamb

Nat Rank

OF5-10160R-RLee DavisMechanicsvilleVA

Full current roster
http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/bsb/2014-15/roster

Remember when I posted that? @Half-baked Mcbride

https://twitter.com/haiden_lamb

Being a Lee-Davis Alum & having been to quite a few Lee-Davis games over the past several years since I graduated... I can tell you right now... This kid can flat out play! He players Center Field mostly... but can play any where in the Outfield. He is very quick, can steal bases at will, not a power hitter, but hits for average & can leg out extra base hits very well. I don't remember his entire stats... but I'm pretty sure he batted over .300 his senior year last year at Lee-Davis.

Definitely a kid to keep your eye on if he gets playing time as a Freshman.

Scuffy McGee

Top Member
Jan 23, 2010
A contributing factor for the heavy state of Pennsylvania representation on the current VCU baseball roster is due to Head Coach Shawn Stiffler. He hails from Somerset, Pennsylvania and evidently taps into his connections in his home state of Pennsylvania to bring in talent from that pipeline. Also, assistant coach Kurt Elbin is a Pennsylvania guy so they're bound to have ample connections amongst the Pennsylvania high school coaching circuit. Richmond has talent and there are a few richmond guys on the team but Stiffler's recruiting model appears to heavily favor Pennsylvania high school talent as well as Ju-Co transfers.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
A contributing factor for the heavy state of Pennsylvania representation on the current VCU baseball roster is due to Head Coach Shawn Stiffler. He hails from Somerset, Pennsylvania and evidently taps into his connections in his home state of Pennsylvania to bring in talent from that pipeline. Also, assistant coach Kurt Elbin is a Pennsylvania guy so they're bound to have ample connections amongst the Pennsylvania high school coaching circuit. Richmond has talent and there are a few richmond guys on the team but Stiffler's recruiting model appears to heavily favor Pennsylvania high school talent as well as Ju-Co transfers.
Needs to look south

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

Scuffy McGee

Top Member
Jan 23, 2010
Needs to look south

There are good players everywhere and it appears he has some strong relationships in his home state of Pennsylvania. I also think the level of talent Stiffler is bringing in is more than holding their own in the A10 - VCU went to the league championship last year. And the roster still has guys from the South on it - Matthews, NC, Orlando, FL, Richmond, VA (Mills Godwin, Lee Davis, Varina), Franklin, VA, Midlothian, VA, Lexington, VA, Manassas, VA, Williamsburg, VA and Puerto Rico are all represented on the current roster. I would actually rate the program's recruiting as strong right now. We aren't going to compete with UVa right now simply because of lack of facilities. No on campus stadium hurts port still recruits as well as fan attendance compared with UVa's beautiful on campus Davenport Field complex. Other than them, I think VCU holds their own against state schools in recruiting.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

SpiderRAM

Top Member
Insider
Aug 17, 2014
Remember when I posted that? @Half-baked Mcbride

https://twitter.com/haiden_lamb

Being a Lee-Davis Alum & having been to quite a few Lee-Davis games over the past several years since I graduated... I can tell you right now... This kid can flat out play! He players Center Field mostly... but can play any where in the Outfield. He is very quick, can steal bases at will, not a power hitter, but hits for average & can leg out extra base hits very well. I don't remember his entire stats... but I'm pretty sure he batted over .300 his senior year last year at Lee-Davis.

Definitely a kid to keep your eye on if he gets playing time as a Freshman.
I'm very glad to read this. He is the son of my friend. I believe he is indeed very fast, holds a state record in his division in high school for track and field. They are a VCU family for sure, his mom works at the medical center and holds several degrees from VCU and is a genuinely wonderful person. From what I know, he is a fine young man as well as a great athlete.

Reactions: RowdyPkunk