The Official VCU Coaching Tree

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
I don't see anything threadwise here dedicated to, and detailing the moves, advancements, and accomplishments of our assistant coaches, but perhaps I'm missing it.
In their honor I wanted a thread to keep together, with assistant coaches news in one area, so here it is.

Ima go ahead and kick this off with one about the honorable Coach JD Byers, great article came out about him today... and congrats to him for the add to the MAC HOF, too!

After HOF playing career, VCU basketball’s J.D. Byers using connections to build coaching legacy​

https://bvmsports.com/2021/06/02/af...s-using-connections-to-build-coaching-legacy/

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
If you want to rename the thread The Official VCU Coaching Tree I wouldn't mind. I would love to hear stories about the success, and failures, of former assistant coaches. I'm not sure to start. I can hardly remember any of the ones before 2011, but some have to had success right?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
If you want to rename the thread The Official VCU Coaching Tree I wouldn't mind. I would love to hear stories about the success, and failures, of former assistant coaches. I'm not sure to start. I can hardly remember any of the ones before 2011, but some have to had success right?

Previous VCU assistant coaches that became head coaches:

David Hobbs - Alabama
Tubby Smith - Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky (national championship), Minnesota, Texas Tech, Memphis, High Point
Kevin Eastman p UNCW; Washington State; Boston Celtics (assistant); LA Clippers (assistant)
Ron Jirsa - Georgia
John Brennan (recently fired at Cincinnati)

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013

David Hobbs - Alabama
Tubby Smith - Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky (national championship), Minnesota, Texas Tech, Memphis, High Point
Kevin Eastman p UNCW; Washington State; Boston Celtics (assistant); LA Clippers (assistant)
Ron Jirsa - Georgia
I'm glad HE got a national championship, but I always thought Tubby was too much of a class act for UK. At this point, in a much shorter tenure he produced just as many NC's as their present NBA minor league coach. Hope he's having a great time back at High Point.
I think Tubby has been underrated as a coach. He's not the most charismatic guy, but high character and he wins everywhere he goes.

Reactions: IstanbulRam

Mercury

Top Member
Feb 20, 2009

David Hobbs - Alabama
Ron Jirsa - Georgia

I know your list wasn't meant to be a complete listing but I'll add that Tony Pujol is coaching at Northern Alabama.

Reactions: Ramlove81

rammed

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009

David Hobbs - Alabama
Ron Jirsa - Georgia
There’s more and I’m probably missing some.

Jamion Christian
Mike Jones
Ben Betts

Reactions: Wolfpack Ram

LLLeopold

Top Member
Feb 3, 2010

David Hobbs - Alabama
Ron Jirsa - Georgia
Did Will Wade ever become a head coach? I’ve lost track of him.

rollins77

Top Member
Insider
May 1, 2009

David Hobbs - Alabama
Ron Jirsa - Georgia
+

Tony Pujol, Northern Alabama
Mike Morrell, UNC Asheville
Allen Edwards, Wyoming (fired last year)
Mike Jones, Radford, UNCG
Jamion Christian, Mount St. Mary's, Siena, George Washington
Mike Rhoades

Reactions: WillWeaverRVA