The Official VCU Coaching Tree

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
Besides Tubby, every other assistant or head coach leaving RamNation for another gig has failed.

Didn't we have a baseball coach who became the fodu head coach?

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Besides Tubby, every other assistant or head coach leaving RamNation for another gig has failed.

This is absolutely not true. Mike Jones had a very successful run at Radford and is now at UNCG. Jamion Christian is now at GW. Jeremy Ballard is still at Florida International. Tony Pujol is still at North Alabama. Mike Sutton had a successful career at Tennessee Tech before having to retire due to health issues.

WillWeaverRVA

Top Member
Dec 30, 2011
I wouldn't say that Shaka and Grant have failed. They have a long way to go in their coaching careers if they choose to continue.
I was going to say this. Both of them had rough patches but you really can't say either one has failed. Grant rebounded from his low point coaching Alabama and has helped make Dayton a household name with his recruiting. Shaka had some excellent teams at Texas despite having little NCAA tournament success to show for it - despite the loss to Abilene Christian in the NCAA Tournament, he did lead Texas to their first-ever Big 12 conference title this past season.

districtballer

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I mean Coach Grant didn’t pan out at Alabama but he led Dayton to a regular season that is undeniably better than any in VCU history the season before last. They were very like to be a 1 seed that year if a tournament had been played. At the very least he has Dayton near if not at the very top of the A-10 in the pecking order right now from an overall program strength, prestige and success standpoint.

Shaka likewise didn’t really pan out at Texas relative to expectations but I expect he’ll similarly do a better job at Marquette.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I mean Coach Grant didn’t pan out at Alabama but he led Dayton to a regular season that is undeniably better than any in VCU history the season before last. They were very like to be a 1 seed that year if a tournament had been played. At the very least he has Dayton near if not at the very top of the A-10 in the pecking order right now from an overall program strength, prestige and success standpoint.

Shaka likewise didn’t really pan out at Texas relative to expectations but I expect he’ll similarly do a better job at Marquette.

Jeff Capel also landed back on his feet at Pitt.

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
It is interesting because there is a contingent of UD fans that do not believe he is a good game day coach. Of course this is just judging from their message board and the old A10 message board. Their feeling is that Obi Toppin saved him.

Mercury

Top Member
Feb 20, 2009
It is interesting because there is a contingent of UD fans that do not believe he is a good game day coach. Of course this is just judging from their message board and the old A10 message board. Their feeling is that Obi Toppin saved him.

Thankfully for Coach Grant 99.9% of fans on message boards don't know anything.

Myself included in the 99.9% of course.

Newboy

Top Member
Mar 2, 2014
And the new guy from Finland.

Jan 16, 2020

David Hobbs went 110-76 at Alabama, 1992-98 .... Benny Dees went 42-16 at New Orleans, 104-77 at Wyoming ... Dana Kirk went 158-58 at Memphis ... Jeff Capel went 96-69 at Oklahoma (Elite 8) ...

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
have you read these boards !?!

some (a few mind you)on here would swear that Mike doesn’t even know the ball is round

cant recruit
can’t coach offense
cant coach defense
does know how to call a time out
etc etc etc

of course Shaka... the winningest coach in program history ...couldn’t either.

Last edited: