The Official VCU Coaching Tree

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012
I think if we've all learned anything on here, it's that message boards are always correct.
have you read these boards !?!

some (a few mind you)on here would swear that Mike doesn’t even know the ball is round

cant recruit
can’t coach offense
cant coach difference
does know how to call a time out
etc etc etc

of course Shaka... the winningest coach in program history ...couldn’t either.
Agreed. I disagree with those opinions. Funny because the list that Ramdog provided it eerily similar to their rants about Grant.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
Agreed. I disagree with those opinions. Funny because the list that Ramdog provided it eerily similar to their rants about Grant.
On Sunday morning, everyone knows the moves they would have made that the coach didn't Saturday night. We're all brilliant in hind sight. Ramdog is spot on. If we go 40-0 and win the national championship, there will still be those saying Rhoades can't coach.

RESRam

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
It is interesting because there is a contingent of UD fans that do not believe he is a good GOOD GAME DAY coach. Of course this is just judging from their message board and the old A10 message board. Their feeling is that Obi Toppin saved him.
Well, there was that time against Duke where Eric Maynor waved off Grant’s “game day”instructions😄. Can you say Dagger?

Last edited:

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Mar 27, 2009
OK. I'll be the guy who says, "What if Grant or Shaka stayed?" Well what? I'm sure it would have been beautiful! Even if Jeff stayed.

N Mollen

Top Member
Insider
Jun 5, 2012
It is interesting because there is a contingent of UD fans that do not believe he is a good game day coach. Of course this is just judging from their message board and the old A10 message board. Their feeling is that Obi Toppin saved him.
There is a contingent of fans at EVERY major (and I suspect minor) college program that thinks that they know how to coach. Shoulda called a tine out. Shoulda gone zone. Shoulda played A instead of B. And they are willing to say that their own competence is SO GREAT they are able to call their coach poor because he didn't do what they say they would have. 103.7% of the time they are idiots.

Ramlove81

Top Member
Dec 4, 2013
It is interesting because there is a contingent of UD fans that do not believe he is a good game day coach. Of course this is just judging from their message board and the old A10 message board. Their feeling is that Obi Toppin saved him.
I think that is interesting. They had some really good players on that team, but outside of Toppin, are any playing in the NBA now or have close to can't miss prospects too. Game day coaching or not, he put a team together with one great player and several really good ones and was rank in the top 5 for the better part of the season. Many of the other top 5 teams arguably had better overall talent. Dayton better hold on to AG. I think he is there for a long time if they let him know they want that. We know as well as any what coaching turnover can do even to a good program.

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Congrats to Torey!!!!!
I was wondering what happened to Coach Hamlin, he was a GREAT coach who churnded out some incredible players.. I had missed but searched and found this: https://richmond.com/sports/high-sc...cle_b89309b8-c786-5a16-98f3-55a051d32431.html

"This season during the pandemic solidified those feelings, so Hamlin is stepping down from the position after a highly successful 10-season run, the school said Friday.
“Because I coached basketball for the last 20-plus years, I never imagined not doing it,” Hamlin said. “But … having the time crunch that was this season made me realize how much time I had been spending away from my family. It made me realize I’ve got a 9-year-old and a 6-year-old and a 4-year-old and these moments are precious, and I’m not up for spending hours and hours and hours missing their childhood.

“I think to do the job right and do it well, you have to devote a ton of time. … This COVID-shortened season just kind of brought into focus where my priorities should
be.”

GuardTheArc

Top Member
Dec 4, 2014
There is a contingent of fans at EVERY major (and I suspect minor) college program that thinks that they know how to coach. Shoulda called a tine out. Shoulda gone zone. Shoulda played A instead of B. And they are willing to say that their own competence is SO GREAT they are able to call their coach poor because he didn't do what they say they would have. 103.7% of the time they are idiots.

Spare us the lecture, pops! It’s basketball, not rocket science. Get over yourself!

Some of you “frequent-posting donkeys” are the worst offenders (particularly in-game). All coaching staffs at all levels make mistakes in recruiting, in-game decisions, etc. The offense hasn’t exactly clicked the last four years (efficiency-wise). Thank God we’ve played good D the past 3 yrs (our saving grace) and scheduled intelligently!

It’s been a bumpy 4-yr rollercoaster ride but we are now back where we should be (Top 50-ish program) and hopefully ascending. Shaka and Will left this staff a treasure trove of advantages (sellouts, NCAA bids, win streaks, BDC, multi-bid conf, prestigious early-season tourneys, branding, etc).

TampaKAP

Top Member
Insider
Apr 21, 2009

It’s been a bumpy 4-yr rollercoaster ride but we are now back where we should be (Top 50-ish program) and hopefully ascending. Shaka and Will left this staff a treasure trove of advantages (sellouts, NCAA bids, win streaks, BDC, multi-bid conf, prestigious early-season tourneys, branding, etc).
I don't know if I would call it bumpy. Now I agree with all the items you listed as the treasure trove the staff inherited but I have said previously and will say again that the house was built on a shaky foundation. Instead of bumpy, I'd say the staff took the correct path to solidify the foundation so that all those things they inherited wouldn't come tumbling down like a house of cards. Anyone who has done a renovation knows that it can be mess to try and live in but the end product is usually worth the aggravation

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Spare us the lecture, pops! It’s basketball, not rocket science. Get over yourself!

Some of you “frequent-posting donkeys” are the worst offenders (particularly in-game). All coaching staffs at all levels make mistakes in recruiting, in-game decisions, etc. The offense hasn’t exactly clicked the last four years (efficiency-wise). Thank God we’ve played good D the past 3 yrs (our saving grace) and scheduled intelligently!

Actually more SS and AG than WW. WW just rode SS's coattails until he could find himself an upgrade. WW never gave a rats bottom about this program, fans, or players for that matter.