THE OFFICIAL VCU SOCCER (Association Football) THREAD

BigE

Elite Member
KruseA10ROW082012-main.jpg

Kruse Named Atlantic 10 Women's Soccer Rookie of the Week

RICHMOND, Va. – After graduating high school, VCU redshirt freshman goalkeeper Emma Kruse decided not to pursue an athletic career, and would instead focus on academics. But soon after arriving on campus last fall, she missed sports way too much.
Now, a year later, and with two collegiate starts under her belt, Kruse has quietly made a name herself. On Monday, she earned Atlantic 10 Women's Soccer Rookie of the Week honors.

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/wsoc/2012-13/releases/20120820if49ki

BigE

Elite Member
VCU Battles Bucknell to 1-1 Draw in Season Opener
5.jpg

FINAL: VCU 1, Bucknell 1 (Richmond, Va. – VCU/Nike Classic)

BUCKNELL STARTERS: # 1 Lansing (GK), #2 Meyer, #6 Butzke, #8 Thorsheim, #9 Burgdorf, #11 Plump, #12 Klug, #18 Ward, #19 Costello, #20 Alli, and #21 Cinotti

VCU STARTERS: #21 Wells (GK), #3 Castillo, #7 Solano, #10 Bowie, #11 Johnson, #14 Meraz, #16 Arbelaez, #18 Shiffman, #19 Keita, #23 Bel, and #24 Fisher

http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/msoc/2012-13/releases/20120824ioq5mh

Good game for the men's team last night. Felt like they had an opportunity to really dominate the game, but just couldn't finish around the net. To his credit, Bucknell's keeper played a great game. Refereeing was a little suspect. Briante made it out to show his support as did Ed McLaughlin. Excited to see how we handle W & M Sunday.

Good game for the men's team last night. Felt like they had an opportunity to really dominate the game, but just couldn't finish around the net. To his credit, Bucknell's keeper played a great game. Refereeing was a little suspect. Briante made it out to show his support as did Ed McLaughlin. Excited to see how we handle W & M Sunday.
It was a frustrating match, we controlled 2/3 of the pitch, but always tried 'the extra pass' inside the 18' and turned it over. Taking shots would have yielded better results. They finally figured that out in the last 20 minutes.

Some folks are tailgating it today, starting around 1pm from what I heard if anyone cares to join them.

It was a frustrating match, we controlled 2/3 of the pitch, but always tried 'the extra pass' inside the 18' and turned it over. Taking shots would have yielded better results. They finally figured that out in the last 20 minutes.

Some folks are tailgating it today, starting around 1pm from what I heard if anyone cares to join them.
Hmm, sorry I missed the tailgate sesh. Great game last night especially Fisher's rocket from the top of the box. Still working out some kinks in the back field. W&M whiffed on some opportunities that I think they never really should have had. Nonetheless, not a bad start to our season. I've never seen Coach Giffard so hyped on the sideline I think he kicked over his chair 3 times. We might have Bruiser Flint at the helm :).

Hmm, sorry I missed the tailgate sesh. Great game last night especially Fisher's rocket from the top of the box. Still working out some kinks in the back field. W&M whiffed on some opportunities that I think they never really should have had. Nonetheless, not a bad start to our season. I've never seen Coach Giffard so hyped on the sideline I think he kicked over his chair 3 times. We might have Bruiser Flint at the helm :).
When you sit on the field behind the goals, you can actually hear what he's saying. Pretty friggin' hilarious.
Off to a good start. I have a feeling they take a big step forward this year.
Hopefully so. Just heard Akron's HC is going to MLS, I hope they don't come calling for Gif.

When you sit on the field behind the goals, you can actually hear what he's saying. Pretty friggin' hilarious.

Hopefully so. Just heard Akron's HC is going to MLS, I hope they don't come calling for Gif.
Hmm, you gotta figure he's a consideration for them. Hopefully the attractiveness of the A10 will keep around a little longer, especially if we continue to play well this season. it's hard not to admit the pasture is greener in Akron.

BigE

Elite Member

yes; Porter is going to Portland next season
good luck to him
those folk are crazy impatient
he may be fired before the season is over if they don't win immediately

BigE

Elite Member
UMBC083012-main.jpg

VCU Battles UMBC to 1-1 Draw in Opener of Holiday Inn Express BWI Classic

QUOTABLE:
"Tonight was frustrating for all of us, but the type of game we need to continue to learn from as we move forward. Unfortunately, we will see the same type of game plan 12-15 more times this year and we're going to have to solve the challenges that teams present us. We have a few details that need to get better in different areas of the field that you can only address through training and repetition. We didn't do as well in the final third as I feel we are capable of, but I feel very confident that we will soon. We also conceded a goal off a set piece that really put us in the hole.

"On a few positive notes, we responded after going down a goal way against the run of play for the second time in three games and it was good to get [injured Romena] Bowie back in and get him some minutes. Our staff will watch the tape and we'll continue to learn and make gains. We also put a lot of miles on our legs tonight, so we'll need to get into recovery mode and get ready for Saturday night against a very disciplined and well coached Navy team."
-VCU Head Coach Dave Giffard
http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/msoc/2012-13/releases/20120830rcubim