The real possibility that there isn't a season this year

Feb 24, 2020
I hate to be that guy, but how things are treading in the US (with the lack of testing and the second wave of COVID that will come in November), I have a hard time seeing a season happening this year.

If that happens, I wonder what the NCAA will do about eligibility. Will they just give an automatic year back to athletes?

The best we can hope for at this point is that there are games but with no fans. If that happens, I would love for the team to host the games in the BDC rather then the Siegel Center. It would look better and sound better if they have the games at the BDC.

I hope I'm completely wrong, but it's not looking good at all...

Reactions: SwiftyClown

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I'd guess the odds of there actually being a 20-21 mbb season is, at best, 1 in 20.

TampaKAP

Insider
Apr 21, 2009
I think there will be a a season. I don't think arenas will be allowed to exceed 50% probably closer to 25% capacity. Good news is Fordham will still be able to have its normal attendance. Bad news is those of us that travel to a lot of away games will probably find it harder to get into venues.

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
My guess is they are developing contingency plans to cover different scenarios bases upon when we return... by Oct, Nov, Dec, etc. Within those, would be the ops and logistics to manage within the confines of the virus and what is known by then. Hopefully testing is well underway and close to a vaccine.
Sadly, the more I think about it, the possibility is we can have a season but the reality is look gloomy. (Due to many reasons, most we can control)

TAEKWONDO

Insider
May 22, 2019
VCU, and just about every university in the nation will be open for business in August, or September. Having once been a soldier of this nation I know we can't stay in our foxhole if we want to defeat the enemy, and this virus is our enemy. There is over five months before basketball practice starts, and the season doesn't start until November. I'm in the age group with the greatest death risk for this virus, but I'm sure in heck ready to see me some VCU basketball.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
The odds of me giving $1 toward the RAF without VCU addressing the "what ifs'" regarding the effects Covid19 might have on the season and how it relates to donations/ ticket purchase should the season be cancelled/ shortened?
0%

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
Read the other day that the major Texas universities are to be open in the fall. Guess we'll see.

buckwheat

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
What will be interesting in the coming months is how each state will have to handle things differently. Virginia and some southeastern states might be fine to open things back up. Flyover/middle America states might be relatively ok.

I can say that where I live it’s pretty scary. Mandatory masks everywhere, strict quarantine, and likely not getting back to the office until July at best. It’ll be bad here for a while yet.

The powers that be will need to understand that the trajectory and “recovery” for each region will vary greatly. I think most do realize this, which will make travel for games difficult this Fall.

artRAMinMN

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
There will probably be a big wave in the fall, into winter, which will coincide with a new flu season. It seems likely that work on a vaccine for that flu strain will probably suffer somewhat as so much attention and effort has been shunted towards crashing on covid19. This will make tracking more difficult, and likely put a lot more pressure on health systems. If 1918 provides any clues, the 2nd/fall wave may end up worse than the first. Hopefully therapies and/or a functioning vaccine can be widely available sooner than later, and ppe production will have ramped up enough to suppy a surge... but Oct/Nov seems like wishful thinking so far.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
The odds of me giving $1 toward the RAF without VCU addressing the "what ifs'" regarding the effects Covid19 might have on the season and how it relates to donations/ ticket purchase should the season be cancelled/ shortened?
0%
I would imagine that they would refund ticket prices but not donations which of course make up the majority of the ticket costs.