The real possibility that there isn't a season this year

SwiftyClown

Top Member
Nov 19, 2011
Chances are slim. Even without fans, you have the teams, coaching staffs, refs, mop boys/girls, tv crew and travel....that's still a lot of people and a lot of potential for infection. Also, the different regions of the country or even conferences, aren't experiencing spread or slowing of the spread at the same rates. It would be extremely difficult to plan games.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
IMO there will only be a season on time if testing dramatically ramps up. I'm confident it will happen by the summer, because this big political game can only go on for so long. As states slowly open up, virus cases and deaths will shoot up more, and governors will either panic and get desperate enough, or be pressured enough to test more. So hopefully as the fall rolls around, there will be plenty of testing and maybe a few more treatment options. Remdesivir should be the first of many decent options to come. 🤞🏾

I hope we have a Black and Gold game, at the minimum. If fans aren't allowed, just televise and stream it.

Last edited:

thelonious_chunk

Top Member
Jun 17, 2014
I think effective and affordable antibody testing for staff and players would be enough to make a season (without fans) plausible. With fans is a different story.

Reactions: vcumad

VCU1970

Top Member
Mar 27, 2013
If colleges and universities open back up in August - September and sporting events are attended plus entertainment venues like Disney open up earlier then what we have seen so far from this virus is the tip of the iceberg. Without treatable medications or a vaccine we are playing with fire. What difference is there between the moronic protesters in Michigan and other places disregarding the safety of people for their own SELFISH reasons and opening up large sporting events . Practicing social distancing is practically impossible. Can you envision all attendees wearing masks ? Are we willing to risks the possibility of a player,coach,cheerleader,dancers, etc. catching the virus just so we can see a football , volleyball or basketball game ? We were warned about the possibility of a virus in December , had our first "confirmed" case in January. How many have died? We still don't have enough tests 5 months into the crisis . Better safe than sorry seems to be taking a backseat lots of places. I love to watch VCU basketball but at what price are we willing to have it ?

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
I highly doubt large gatherings of people (think anything the size of seeing a movie or more) are going to be much of a thing until there's a vaccine widely available. I doubt this because insurance carriers for these venues/events/promoters will most likely say you're on your own if an attendee gets sick and sues you. Even if they want to open, and many do, I really think that's going to be a bridge too far.

Violet Ram

Top Member
Jan 29, 2015
I highly doubt large gatherings of people (think anything the size of seeing a movie or more) are going to be much of a thing until there's a vaccine widely available. I doubt this because insurance carriers for these venues/events/promoters will most likely say you're on your own if an attendee gets sick and sues you. Even if they want to open, and many do, I really think that's going to be a bridge too far.
Well, we're talking about a State's tort law which is subject to the whims of local politicians. States could absolve businesses from liability.

Reactions: mrgeode

urmite

Top Member
Mar 22, 2011
I am waiting for all sporting events to restart but all participants must maintain 6 foot social distancing during the event. That will really change the strategy of many teams...

There will be quite a few touchdown passes and slam dunks...

Reactions: frank s and VRam

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
Well, we're talking about a State's tort law which is subject to the whims of local politicians. States could absolve businesses from liability.
Sure, but what do you think the likelihood of that is? I'd put it around the same as actually refunding/dissolving the USPS - a good talking point for some audiences but almost certain to never happen.

Reactions: Violet Ram
Feb 24, 2020
I'm honestly shocked at the number of people that are willing to put themselves in harms way/ or put others in harms way to simply watch sports live or go to a concert.

A basketball game is not worth your life. We are not in a situation right now, nor will we be by the fall, that it will be OK to hold any events with large numbers of people. I'm even more shocked that we have people in the high risk category that are willing to scarface getting sick (or die) to watch VCU basketball.

At this point, after seeing some of these responses, I think they should call off the season. Not simply for the safety of the players, coaches, staff, stadium workers, ect, but for the safety of fans that would put themselves and others in harms way to simply watch a basketball game.

Please put into perspective that basketball will be here after this virus. You don't have to scarface yourself or others just because you want to see a game, or go to a concert, or go to a park.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I'm honestly shocked at the number of people that are willing to put themselves in harms way/ or put others in harms way to simply watch sports live or go to a concert.

A basketball game is not worth your life. We are not in a situation right now, nor will we be by the fall, that it will be OK to hold any events with large numbers of people. I'm even more shocked that we have people in the high risk category that are willing to scarface getting sick (or die) to watch VCU basketball.

At this point, after seeing some of these responses, I think they should call off the season. Not simply for the safety of the players, coaches, staff, stadium workers, ect, but for the safety of fans that would put themselves and others in harms way to simply watch a basketball game.

Please put into perspective that basketball will be here after this virus. You don't have to scarface yourself or others just because you want to see a game, or go to a concert, or go to a park.
First you wanted us to fire our coach and now we have to cancel the season? You also realize that neither of those decisions are up to us right?