The real possibility that there isn't a season this year

Feb 24, 2020
VCU, and just about every university in the nation will be open for business in August, or September. Having once been a soldier of this nation I know we can't stay in our foxhole if we want to defeat the enemy, and this virus is our enemy. There is over five months before basketball practice starts, and the season doesn't start until November. I'm in the age group with the greatest death risk for this virus, but I'm sure in heck ready to see me some VCU basketball.
Sir, I respect your service to this country. But we can not shoot or bomb our way out of a pandemic. There is no "foxhole" and analogies of war do no good with fighting this virus.

In order to get back to some type of normalcy, there has to be widespread testing, tracking of those with the virus, and social distancing. None of those three things are happening right now and will probably not happen by November. We haven't even gotten to the point where cases are going down, yet we are reopening the state. We are putting a lot of people at risk, even without the possibility of putting 2,500 people in an indoor area in the middle of a second wave.

I hope and pray sir that you really think about the risk associated with this virus. I really do not want to see you get sick because you wanted to see a VCU game. It's not worth the risk of your life.

Mar 2, 2014
Sir, I respect your service to this country. But we can not shoot or bomb our way out of a pandemic. There is no "foxhole" and analogies of war do no good with fighting this virus.

In order to get back to some type of normalcy, there has to be widespread testing, tracking of those with the virus, and social distancing. None of those three things are happening right now and will probably not happen by November. We haven't even gotten to the point where cases are going down, yet we are reopening the state. We are putting a lot of people at risk, even without the possibility of putting 2,500 people in an indoor area in the middle of a second wave.

I hope and pray sir that you really think about the risk associated with this virus. I really do not want to see you get sick because you wanted to see a VCU game. It's not worth the risk of your life.
When the season starts it will be up to each fan to decide if they would like to attend or not.

Mar 1, 2015

True. But People have developed a “Bomb shelter” mentality. Wether we re open tomorrow, or 6 months from now, the result will likely be about the same.....people will begin contracting the virus. A vaccine may take years. There really isn’t a way around it. Some things can’t be put on hold. Kids need to go back to school. Basketball games have no value outside of entertainment, they can wait. I am 100 percent for reopening necessary societal functions, and many things at least in a reduced capacity. Sports, no, they aren’t important.

Reactions: VRam and mrgeode

AlienAiden

Top Member
Insider
May 3, 2012

I mean really... Are you surprised? The United States has 4% of the world’s population and more than 30% of its coronavirus cases so nothing will surprise me.

May 4, 2012

Europe out tests the US (measured in tests per million in population) but is roughly double our rate in deaths per mil. Testing is of value but no panacea.

LQuarles

Top Member
Insider
Mar 10, 2012
At this point, after seeing some of these responses, I think they should call off the season. Not simply for the safety of the players, coaches, staff, stadium workers, ect, but for the safety of fans that would put themselves and others in harms way to simply watch a basketball game.

Please put into perspective that basketball will be here after this virus. You don't have to scarface yourself or others just because you want to see a game, or go to a concert, or go to a park.
To use your own words, "the control of others is a crazy drug my friend. That's what this is all about."

You know as much as the rest of us how things will look in the fall. So listen to your own words, for once.

Feb 14, 2011
This thread is pretty fascinating. You can somewhat tell difference between the people that get their data from cable news and twitter and those that get their data from places like the CDC, VDH C-span, BBC. Not judging, it's just interesting.

Keep in mind reporting of cases isn't consistent from day to day due to when facility reporting is submitted. Out of the roughly 19,000 confirmed cases 11,000 of them are from localities north of Fredericksburg. 375 of the 700 deaths are from the NOVA area.

"The federal government is classifying the deaths of patients infected with the coronavirus as COVID-19 deaths, regardless of any underlying health issues that could have contributed to the loss of someone's life. Dr. Deborah Birx, the response coordinator for the White House coronavirus task force, said the federal government is continuing to count the suspected COVID-19 deaths, despite other nations doing the opposite.

"There are other countries that if you had a pre-existing condition, and let's say the virus caused you to go to the ICU [intensive care unit] and then have a heart or kidney problem," she said during a Tuesday news briefing at the White House. "Some countries are recording that as a heart issue or a kidney issue and not a COVID-19 death.

"The intent is ... if someone dies with COVID-19 we are counting that," she added.

At the end of the day. We don't know where we're going to be 30 days from now let alone 200 days from now.

Reactions: 757RamFan
May 19, 2015
This thread is pretty fascinating. You can somewhat tell difference between the people that get their data from cable news and twitter and those that get their data from places like the CDC, VDH C-span, BBC. Not judging, it's just interesting.

Keep in mind reporting of cases isn't consistent from day to day due to when facility reporting is submitted. Out of the roughly 19,000 confirmed cases 11,000 of them are from localities north of Fredericksburg. 375 of the 700 deaths are from the NOVA area.

"The federal government is classifying the deaths of patients infected with the coronavirus as COVID-19 deaths, regardless of any underlying health issues that could have contributed to the loss of someone's life. Dr. Deborah Birx, the response coordinator for the White House coronavirus task force, said the federal government is continuing to count the suspected COVID-19 deaths, despite other nations doing the opposite.

"There are other countries that if you had a pre-existing condition, and let's say the virus caused you to go to the ICU [intensive care unit] and then have a heart or kidney problem," she said during a Tuesday news briefing at the White House. "Some countries are recording that as a heart issue or a kidney issue and not a COVID-19 death.

"The intent is ... if someone dies with COVID-19 we are counting that," she added.

At the end of the day. We don't know where we're going to be 30 days from now let alone 200 days from now.
I have a friend who works for VDH and she said that Covid 19 cases are counted whether you contract the virus and die from its direct exposure or you were already sick and died from complications from Covid 19. Both are considered death from Covid 19, including cases where the person is 97 years of age and was on the verge of passing from some other cause but contracted Covid 19 and died from pulmonary complications.

VRam

Top Member
Apr 24, 2009
I'm honestly shocked at the number of people that are willing to put themselves in harms way/ or put others in harms way to simply watch sports live or go to a concert.

A basketball game is not worth your life. We are not in a situation right now, nor will we be by the fall, that it will be OK to hold any events with large numbers of people. I'm even more shocked that we have people in the high risk category that are willing to scarface getting sick (or die) to watch VCU basketball.

At this point, after seeing some of these responses, I think they should call off the season. Not simply for the safety of the players, coaches, staff, stadium workers, ect, but for the safety of fans that would put themselves and others in harms way to simply watch a basketball game.

Please put into perspective that basketball will be here after this virus. You don't have to scarface yourself or others just because you want to see a game, or go to a concert, or go to a park.
So should we put you down as a no for the home opener?

Go Rams Go!

May 4, 2012
If you want to see the breakdown between c10 and c10+other
Cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
Updated daily

RamDanFan

Top Member
Jan 19, 2015
I have a friend who works for VDH and she said that Covid 19 cases are counted whether you contract the virus and die from its direct exposure or you were already sick and died from complications from Covid 19. Both are considered death from Covid 19, including cases where the person is 97 years of age and was on the verge of passing from some other cause but contracted Covid 19 and died from pulmonary complications.
More than 99% of Italy’s coronavirus fatalities were people who suffered from previous medical conditions, according to a study by the country’s national health authority.