The real possibility that there isn't a season this year

VCU1970

Top Member
Mar 27, 2013
Over a century ago. The environment is totally different.

You are right about the economic aspect. A bulk of the population maybe more likely to die from strained finances, no insurance etc than Covid. At some point we just have to isolate vulnerable populations as best we can and move on.

Even more, we can’t have a lost generation of kids. Their development has to progress even if that means increased risk to vulnerable populations.
Not so fast my friend as Lee Corso says.

Last edited:

MobileMunchies

Top Member
Nov 2, 2013
Being honest here, yall. Isn't there always a very real possibility there's no tomorrow?
It causes a certain degree of understandable apprehension.
But does that stop us from waking up each day and doing what we can do to live life?
Walk like you mean it.
Have a nice day, yall.
💪

Feb 14, 2011
No we do not know.

Heck, I saw the President's COVID task force, with the advice of the CDC, set guidelines and benchmarks for states to reach before opening for business, and Virginia is following those guidelines to the letter. Yet that same President is bashing Virginia for not re-opening faster. It would seem the state is doing exactly what the Trump administration told them to do but maybe I am living in some kind of bizzaro world where reading solid information is a waste of time. Heck, I just read that now our federal government is working on phasing out the coronavirus task force. It is like I can see the future these days so I predict that COVID-19 is going to be fracture our country by becoming a political issue. People will yell at each other while some die. I have gotten used to it these days. Nobody seems to want to work together on anything. Luckily it is just on a screen where I see it because I doubt I would put myself in a situation where foolishness is going on. I am like a isolation pro.

I used the commas for you :lol:
I believe the issues come from we have places in Virginia, Buena Vista as an example that has had a total of 6 cases, 0 hospitalizations and 0 deaths but they are still shut down. There's no "common sense" reasons these areas should be treated like our "hot spot" areas. I don't care who you are, liberal or conservative, these political positioning games are disgusting.

May 4, 2012
I believe the issues come from we have places in Virginia, Buena Vista as an example that has had a total of 6 cases, 0 hospitalizations and 0 deaths but they are still shut down. There's no "common sense" reasons these areas should be treated like our "hot spot" areas. I don't care who you are, liberal or conservative, these political positioning games are disgusting.
You make a good point to note that there is no value in treating every square mile of the country the same as NYC.
They are the perfect storm of this thing with to many people per square yard. Impossible to social distance, impossible to avoid over compressed concentrations (try avoiding an elevator, not touching handrails). Even Richmond is far easier to keep your distance, moreso in the burbs.
A tailored approach is sensible and I think thats what people want to see.
Cutting off "elective" surgeries was a terrible idea. They should have learned from that.

Reactions: Nic

DNB

Top Member
Dec 6, 2013
I sort of understand the position that both of you have. On one hand, AA is correct. I personally have been ok with the "Federalist" approach to this in which Trump gave a lot of latitude to states. However, what AA is saying is that you cannot take this approach and then lash out at state leaders when they follow this. Trump did this right away with several states not just Va. and Trump caught, imo deserved, backlash on this from state leaders. The handling of Va. falls squarely on Northam. Northam is, once again imo, being perhaps too cautious and only listening to a few voices. I agree with you that Northam's one size fits all does not really work for this state. Alexandria, Fairfax is a hot spot still and no way should they be opening up. Much of the rest of the state has significantly calmed down. Glad Northam is talking about potentially relaxing some policies although I do question some of the choices-barber shops, hair salons where it is difficult to social distance while keeping stores shut down as non essential-stores which can easily be set up for social distancing guidelines no different than stores like Wal Mart, Home Depot, Wegman's, and Wawa have done. Meanwhile, Richmond bus drivers (unless their protest has worked in the past few days) and some police depts. are not properly providing things like masks or even hand sanitizer.

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
I think we are in for a rude awakening when we re-open the state(s).
Both the private sector and public sector are going to be decimated. I predict massive layoffs are coming. Bankruptcies -both personal and business will ripple thru the economy and cause a domino effect. Foreclosures, re-possessions, evictions, layoffs, stagnant wages... It's going to be ugly. Banks will be hit hard again by the bad paper they will be holding.
Maybe it was neccessary, but these political leaders, most who never help a job outside government, have no clue that you just can't "re-open" an economy like flipping on a light switch, splash a "Shop Local" sign on a website and expect companies that had zero revenues for months (while having bills pile up) to just spring back to life. The stimulus package will do little but hopefully keep the over-valued stock market from falling further. Entire industry sectors will be obliterated. The unemployment will lead to less economic activity thus creating more layoffs. Cities, counties and states get revenue from payroll taxes, sales taxes, restruant, hotel, entertainment, tourism, gasoline, real estate values, business licenses... all swirling down the drain. This is going to be an epic financial disaster. I hope I am wrong, but I feel very pessimistic.

Last edited:

RamDaddio

Top Member
Apr 18, 2015
While I understand your concerns, you're definitely on the pessimistic side. While I don't think it will be a snap-back recovery, I have faith that fellow Virginians and Americans will find a way to persevere. In my experience, optimistic people are more successful than pessimists. I have faith!

VCU1970

Top Member
Mar 27, 2013
While I understand your concerns, you're definitely on the pessimistic side. While I don't think it will be a snap-back recovery, I have faith that fellow Virginians and Americans will find a way to persevere. In my experience, optimistic people are more successful than pessimists. I have faith!
Covid-19 > than blind faith