The season seems surreal

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
Its been a long time since a VCU team has been in this position. Yes Mike's first year we didnt make the NCAA tournament. However, that team was doomed from the start and no one had any real expectations.

This team I was thinking maybe Sweet 16 and to be here today with almost 0 chance of an at large. With Richmond in position for an At Large its just a wield, bizarre etc feeling.

It demonstrates how dominant we've been. However, this just doesnt feel right.

I am a Ram win or lose yep. However, I've been blindsided and its just an odd feeling. I was really looking forward to March, going to some hokey bar, catching up with friends, fans, and Admin. Now I'll most likely have to find something else to do. With the corona virus out there even an exotic trip is out of the question. What a March.

To to

Ramaholic

Top Member
Mar 8, 2010
I always liked you Rammad. You are a big time donor, very accomplished professionally, a great example of a VCU self made success story (from what I can tell) and have some good insight on basketball. This downturn has been especially tough on the fanbase b/c it comes at a time when many (not all) folks have felt a bit marginalized with prior reseatings resulting in higher prices/ worst seats and an expanded fan base that results in less interaction with the admin, coaches... This has made this past month seem much worse than it is. We'll be back -both coaches, team, fans and donors. Despite all the nasty comments and complaining of late, I think the AD is going to appreciate how loyal the fan base is here when we keep donations and attendance up.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I always liked you Rammad. You are a big time donor, very accomplished professionally, a great example of a VCU self made success story (from what I can tell) and have some good insight on basketball. This downturn has been especially tough on the fanbase b/c it comes at a time when many (not all) folks have felt a bit marginalized with prior reseatings resulting in higher prices/ worst seats and an expanded fan base that results in less interaction with the admin, coaches... This has made this past month seem much worse than it is. We'll be back -both coaches, team, fans and donors. Despite all the nasty comments and complaining of late, I think the AD is going to appreciate how loyal the fan base is here when we keep donations and attendance up.

Then they better reciprocate, and post this:

Dear RAMS fans,

We recognize this season was disappointing for many loyal, long time RAMS fans, we didn't win as many games as predicted, our play was off, expectations were not met.

For this reason we will hold off on re seating until next season when the quality of play returns to it's usual level. We're all in this together...

I laughed a few times typing this..... I'm getting a bit dusty though thinking about this past month, and what it means for the players, coaches and fans.

Reactions: RamStrut

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Then they better reciprocate, and post this:

Dear RAMS fans,

We recognize this season was disappointing for many loyal, long time RAMS fans, we didn't win as many games as predicted, our play was off, expectations were not met.

For this reason we will hold off on re seating until next season when the quality of play returns to it's usual level. We're all in this together...

I laughed a few times typing this..... I'm getting a bit dusty though thinking about this past month, and what it means for the players, coaches and fans.
Reseating doesn't necessarily mean you have to pay more. That only happens when the demand exceeds the supply. I don't think that'll be an issue this year. That's not a commentary on our current record, just based on the secondary market this year and the availability a single game tickets through the VCU box office. You might even get better seats because a lot of the tickets they were selling game by game with no donation requirement we're better than the section my seats are in.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Reseating doesn't necessarily mean you have to pay more. That only happens when the demand exceeds the supply. I don't think that'll be an issue this year. That's not a commentary on our current record, just based on the secondary market this year and the availability a single game tickets through the VCU box office. You might even get better seats because a lot of the tickets they were selling game by game with no donation requirement we're better than the section my seats are in.
I think they were planning on an increase based on projections for the season unfolding.... differently.

Reactions: RamStrut

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I certainly hope all is true.

Reactions: Ramaholic

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
I think they were planning on an increase based on projections for the season unfolding.... differently.
I think so as well. As they have cut the number or seats for several donor levels. At the end of the day, maybe that frees up more good seats for all.

VCU Finance 2008

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
I think so as well. As they have cut the number or seats for several donor levels. At the end of the day, maybe that frees up more good seats for all.
There are plenty of seats available. At one point there was a waiting list but, we haven't sold out all the season tickets in a few years now.

Jan 15, 2020
Definitely a bummer. Here I thought I’d be working out pto and navigating my schedule around ncaas. Never thought in many years of watching this program I’d see a team unravel like this. About a month ago I was saying after a game I couldn’t remember the last time we just got manhandled consistently. I guess that was foreshadowing the streak we’re on now. We know last year the conference was down because this is just stunning,

Reactions: rvaram

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Definitely a bummer. Here I thought I’d be working out pto and navigating my schedule around ncaas. Never thought in many years of watching this program I’d see a team unravel like this. About a month ago I was saying after a game I couldn’t remember the last time we just got manhandled consistently. I guess that was foreshadowing the streak we’re on now. We know last year the conference was down because this is just stunning,

[email protected], I moved all my ski dates around to hit Brooklyn, then fly out from there on the wings of a VCU A-10 tourney champ-peenship...

"F" that noise now.... The good thing is now I probably won't need to get off the slopes early to catch VCU's first and hopefully second round games in the NCAA.

Suds

Top Member
Feb 26, 2012
I would assume the new tax code cost the AD $$. Given that, I am thinking the re-seating has to happen to help institute the new payment structure. And this can be accomplished without a price increase.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
The most surreal part, at least right now....is that our VCU Rams are ranked 60th in the NET rankings :lol:

These boards are a mix of Bataan Death March and the church scene in the Kingsmen movie....and we're better off than 293 other programs.

I know the disappointment is beyond palpable...just thought I'd throw that out there, no disrespect intended toward @rammad90 's original post.

Happy Friday RamNation!!

VCU1970

Top Member
Mar 27, 2013
I think it is only natural for most of Ramnation to feel like they've been blindsided by a snow plow on a bright and sunny day. Much was expected but little has been shown. This team will have ONLY one chance to make the Big Dance and they surely realize that they HAVE TO win them all in Brooklyn . These seniors will have one last chance to prove themselves. I'm not overly optimistic that it will happen BUT there's always a chance . 😲

Reactions: 92VCUpikapp

rammad90

Top Member
Jan 19, 2010
The most surreal part, at least right now....is that our VCU Rams are ranked 60th in the NET rankings :lol:

These boards are a mix of Bataan Death March and the church scene in the Kingsmen movie....and we're better off than 293 other programs.

I know the disappointment is beyond palpable...just thought I'd throw that out there, no disrespect intended toward @rammad90 's original post.

Happy Friday RamNation!!
Half-baked for me, I know the Program is fine. We are having a momentary hiccup, it happens. Look at UNC National Championships and all that yet they can't catch a break. A couple guy's goes down and the wheels fall off.

For me, its we typically have momentum heading into the A10 and are looking forward to smashing a few teams and awaiting to hear were we are going versus if were are going to Dance.

Personally, I still believe or at the very least I still hope we turn it around starting tomorrow and reel off at least 5 straight.

Last edited:

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013

Happy Friday RamNation!!
Kingsman is so dope. I cannot wait for the prequel.

Reactions: Half-baked Mcbride