The Season

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
I just don't see any scenario where that's going to happen.

It's astonishing to me to see people on here saying were going to somehow handle Syracuse when we can't even handle St. Peter's on our own floor. We have historically bombed in early season tourneys, and that was with our really good teams, but we are somehow going to perform better with the worst offensive team we have had in 20 years. Our fanbase is delusional atm.

I would be absolutely shocked if we come back from the Bahamas with a single win. At that point we will be 2-5 and our confidence and mental toughness is going to come into play. We would then have to win 5 of the next 6 to get to 7-6. And unless everybody magically learns how to shoot in those three games, it's not going to matter if we are playing Campbell or Florida Atlantic( both of which are statistically in the realm of Peter's and Wagner) because if we are only putting up 50 ppg any team with a pulse will be in striking distance.

Not trying to be negative and I am here for the journey, but I think everyone needs to be realistic about this season, because it's likely going to be pretty bad for awhile. Idk if Ace returning will right the ship, but I think as far as the OOC goes the outlook is pretty bleak.
You are right, we have always sucked in MTEs even with some of our really good teams.

For as bad as we've looked offensively, our first opponent (Syracuse) just gave up 100 points at home to Colgate. A potential second opponent (Arizona State) sucked last year and has already lost at home to UC Riverside. Our 3rd opponent will be one of UConn/LoyolaChicago/Auburn/MichiganSt and none of them have lost a game to this point. We are incredibly flawed, but let's not act like there is no chance we can win down there.

I will say, I like that you didn't include Chattanooga with the other 4 teams you mentioned above. I truly believe that team will end up being the 4th best team we play in the OOC (just after the 3 teams we play in Atlantis).

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Some of that is the pass is not great. To catch and shot in rhythm you got to get a good pass from your teammates
This x 1000. Darius Theus had a knack to dish the ball to Troy for a 3. Ace found open spots for Vince and Bones so many times last year.
Ace is unable to play right now and we can't do anything about that. But.... our guys have to find ways to get good looks.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member

It's astonishing to me to see people on here saying were going to somehow handle Syracuse when we can't even handle St. Peter's on our own floor. We have historically bombed in early season tourneys, and that was with our really good teams, but we are somehow going to perform better with the worst offensive team we have had in 20 years. Our fanbase is delusional atm.

I would be absolutely shocked if we come back from the Bahamas with a single win. At that point we will be 2-5 and our confidence and mental toughness is going to come into play. We would then have to win 5 of the next 6 to get to 7-6. And unless everybody magically learns how to shoot in those three games, it's not going to matter if we are playing Campbell or Florida Atlantic( both of which are statistically in the realm of Peter's and Wagner) because if we are only putting up 50 ppg any team with a pulse will be in striking distance.

Not trying to be negative and I am here for the journey, but I think everyone needs to be realistic about this season, because it's likely going to be pretty bad for awhile. Idk if Ace returning will right the ship, but I think as far as the OOC goes the outlook is pretty bleak.

I have VCU losing all three in the Bahamas and also to Penn State, and who knows which Penn State team will show up. UMass beat Penn State by 25 points earlier in the season. I think 7-6 is realistic considering the rest of the OOC schedule. The rest of the schedule consists of Campbell, Jacksonville State, fodu, Florida Atlantic and New Hampshire. If this current VCU can't win those 5 games, 4 of which are at home and the other is at a horrible fodu team. Those teams are a combined 10-13 so far. FYI - Wagner and Chattanooga are now a combined 6-0. After the Bahamas, the OOC schedule does get easier.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
I have VCU losing all three in the Bahamas and also to Penn State, and who knows which Penn State team will show up. UMass beat Penn State by 25 points earlier in the season. I think 7-6 is realistic considering the rest of the OOC schedule. The rest of the schedule consists of Campbell, Jacksonville State, fodu, Florida Atlantic and New Hampshire. If this current VCU can't win those 5 games, 4 of which are at home and the other is at a horrible fodu team. Those teams are a combined 10-13 so far. FYI - Wagner and Chattanooga are now a combined 6-0. After the Bahamas, the OOC schedule does get easier.
Whether VCU enters A10 play with 6, 7, 8, or 9 wins, I don't care. I want to us to be playing better by the time Mason comes to The Stu.

my humble take
this has been a roller coaster of a season so far - two critical injuries to our two best returning players (one majority of season the other all of the season) have thrown even more uncertainty - While MR tried to level set expectations that we would have some growing pains, the Koolaid drinker I am expects our Rams to be a 23+ W team annually no matter who our starters are and what roadblocks we encounter along the journey

That said, this team is the most offensively challenged team I can remember ever playing in the STU (and yes I went to plenty of games in Franklin st gym and remember college greats like Jerry Lucas and Oscar Robertson, so I bring a perspective that spans generations of Ram basketball, like a number of posters here on this board)

MR is going to have to earn his salary this year, figuring out how this team can score 65 points on the AVG night - Besides Williams no one has shown an ability to hit the deep ball or even look confident in attempting - MR's current template for his offense will need to be constantly tweaked this season (sort of trial by error) to put players in positions they can succeed on offense (at this stage it is tough to tell will that be playing more youth or playing more vets - but that is what OOC schedule brings to the surface)

I am sure all of us have our ideas of how and who the players that give us the best chance but trust me (okay I understand that maybe a leap of unjustified fatih) - I think MR will get it figured out on the best approach on offense over the next 4 weeks, to give us the best chance for success.
This Ram team has shown an ability to play excellent defense, which is a testament to MR's coaching so IMHO VCU has a strong likelihood of being in most games with 5 minutes to go, despite our offensive woes - Defense travels well at the college level (we have been the victims of a few teams that played D well among UTC and Wagner and even St Peters)

No doubt at this stage vcu is a team that can lose anywhere from 8 to 13 games if we don't figure out how to score, despite what looks like a below avg A10 conference start in the out of conference portion of schedules (of course Bonnies are outlier). My hope is let's give MR and the players the space to change over the next month and provide the support to GET ER DONE
Go Rams

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
my humble take
this has been a roller coaster of a season so far - two critical injuries to our two best returning players (one majority of season the other all of the season) have thrown even more uncertainty - While MR tried to level set expectations that we would have some growing pains, the Koolaid drinker I am expects our Rams to be a 23+ W team annually no matter who our starters are and what roadblocks we encounter along the journey

That said, this team is the most offensively challenged team I can remember ever playing in the STU (and yes I went to plenty of games in Franklin st gym and remember college greats like Jerry Lucas and Oscar Robertson, so I bring a perspective that spans generations of Ram basketball, like a number of posters here on this board)

MR is going to have to earn his salary this year, figuring out how this team can score 65 points on the AVG night - Besides Williams no one has shown an ability to hit the deep ball or even look confident in attempting - MR's current template for his offense will need to be constantly tweaked this season (sort of trial by error) to put players in positions they can succeed on offense (at this stage it is tough to tell will that be playing more youth or playing more vets - but that is what OOC schedule brings to the surface)

I am sure all of us have our ideas of how and who the players that give us the best chance but trust me (okay I understand that maybe a leap of unjustified fatih) - I think MR will get it figured out on the best approach on offense over the next 4 weeks, to give us the best chance for success.
This Ram team has shown an ability to play excellent defense, which is a testament to MR's coaching so IMHO VCU has a strong likelihood of being in most games with 5 minutes to go, despite our offensive woes - Defense travels well at the college level (we have been the victims of a few teams that played D well among UTC and Wagner and even St Peters)

No doubt at this stage vcu is a team that can lose anywhere from 8 to 13 games if we don't figure out how to score, despite what looks like a below avg A10 conference start in the out of conference portion of schedules (of course Bonnies are outlier). My hope is let's give MR and the players the space to change over the next month and provide the support to GET ER DONE
Go Rams
Your humble take, is a good take imo.

Injuries to Jamir and Ace can be a valid excuse why our offense is ugly in November. It CANNOT be a valid excuse if we are still THIS BAD offensively by the time conference play starts. We have three tough games in Atlantis, but we don't leave VA in the month of December. I would agree that MR & staff needs to earn their paycheck this season.

If we even turn into a halfway decent offensive team in conference play, a middle of the pack finish would be the worse case scenario. Fordham, GW, St Joes, La Salle, and Duquesne are not good and have less talent than us. Dayton may have individual talent, but they've looked even worse than we have.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
my humble take

Go Rams

I go back to the Chuck Noe days and, prior to this year, I would have to say Sonny Smith's last year at VCU (1997-98) may have been VCU's worst team offensively. VCU went 9-19 that year and had 13 games scoring 61 points or less. With that said, this year's team definitely has the makings of being a worse team offensively than that 1097-98 team. The good news for this year's team is, outside of St. Bonaventure, this may be the weakest A-10 conference in many years from second place to last place, which does not bode well for the A-10 as a whole.

I will stand by my comments that maybe it's time for a change in who is coaching the offense. This is not the first year VCU has struggled offensively since Mike Rhoades became the head coach. Mike may need to make a change regarding that coaching responsibility if VCU is to turn the offense around. The one thing that stuck out to me regarding the player (Vince Williams & Mikeal Brown-Jones) post game interview/comments after the Chattanooga game was 90% of their comments were about the defense, and how cleaning up a few things on defense would make VCU come out on top. That concerns me. Defense isn't the problem. Offense is, and you would think the players would recognize that in a post game press conference vs. what they didn't do on defense.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of November and December play out.

duncanlamb

Elite Member
Insider

Listen to MBJ at the 5:30 mark. He said "we'll come away with it. We'll come away with the win the next time". (meaning cuse).

MBJ and Vince saying we have great chemistry. All we need to do is finish at the rim better at the beginning of games and and clean up rebounding miscues we will be fine. MBJ, in particular, said he thought we will get to point that we can beat any team in the country at the end.

I know i was friggin chicken little the sky is falling before this game but I've regained my positive outlook. As poorly as our shooting has been...i think we are right there. If we can get see some early shots fall...everything will fall into place.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
Your humble take, is a good take imo.

Injuries to Jamir and Ace can be a valid excuse why our offense is ugly in November. It CANNOT be a valid excuse if we are still THIS BAD offensively by the time conference play starts. We have three tough games in Atlantis, but we don't leave VA in the month of December. I would agree that MR & staff needs to earn their paycheck this season.

If we even turn into a halfway decent offensive team in conference play, a middle of the pack finish would be the worse case scenario. Fordham, GW, St Joes, La Salle, and Duquesne are not good and have less talent than us. Dayton may have individual talent, but they've looked even worse than we have.
3-point shooting has been surprising. I thought at least Josh would make more. Besides Vince, no other player has more than 2 through four games. I know that's not what they expected. Then you have Nichols with one rebound preceded by his DNP in the Chattanooga game. Sheesh

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
Not sure what to make of Jimmy 5¢'s. He has great size especially for the A10, has a decent looking stroke especially for his size. The little time that I have seen him out there he seems to be playing hard and at least trying to play our brand of D. I was really excited when he joined up as I'm sure many of you were. I like the dude so I hope to see him happy and successful.

RamBamBiggalow

Elite Member

You are one of the more rational posters on here, and I always look forward to your thoughts.

My reasoning is that Jacksonville St., Penn St are ranked higher than Wagner rn. Campbell is like basically even with them. We know that ODU on the road is usually a tough game no matter how garbage their squad is. All these games with the exception of Florida Atlantic and New Hampshire are against teams rated higher than Wagner and St. Peters which is kinda my baseline rn. Every single team we play at B4A will be tougher than any team we have played already.

I know statistical rankings don't mean everything and we beat Vanderbilt who is ranked higher than those two baseline teams. It's college basketball and we could catch fire and win the tourney for all I know, but I just think going with averages and how we have looked so far, not to mention we usually drop an egg we shouldn't(which could have happened already) I think 7-6 is a little too generous rn. I think we will lose to Penn St. Win against NH and Florida Atl, but lose some combination of @ODU, Campbell, Jacksonville St. I will go 5-8.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
3-point shooting has been surprising. I thought at least Josh would make more. Besides Vince, no other player has more than 2 through four games. I know that's not what they expected. Then you have Nichols with one rebound preceded by his DNP in the Chattanooga game. Sheesh

At some point soon (like this week in the Bahamas soon), teams are going to start doubling down on Vince from the outside and let the rest of the team shoot threes until someone not named Vince can prove they can hit them. Syracuse is pretty much a 100% zone defense. That does not bode well for VCU's anemic perimeter game.

RamBamBiggalow

Elite Member
Outside of Vince we are 5-34 from three this year.

Nichols has hit 1, Curry has hit 1, Banks has hit 1, Nunn hit 2 against Vandy.

We need to get Banks and Nunn taking some more shots outside. Curry I would only like taking open ones. Idk what is going on with Banks but he was certainly capable last year. He just doesn't seem to be on the court too much same with Nichols who is still a mystery to everyone.

Idk what they're doing with Tsohonis, but he needs to be moved back to his real position. We desperately need offense more than shared PG duties rn. If he is having trouble because of his new role give him his real role. If he is that injured he needs to sit. There is no excuse for a man to go from dropping 27 against a P5 to a literal zero here other than the Coach is not utilizing him correctly. We need scoring bad and he needs a real chance at the 2.