The Season

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Outside of Vince we are 5-34 from three this year.

Nichols has hit 1, Curry has hit 1, Banks has hit 1, Nunn hit 2 against Vandy.

We need to get Banks and Nunn taking some more shots outside. Curry I would only like taking open ones. Idk what is going on with Banks but he was certainly capable last year. He just doesn't seem to be on the court too much same with Nichols who is still a mystery to everyone.

Idk what they're doing with Tsohonis, but he needs to be moved back to his real position. We desperately need offense more than shared PG duties rn. If he is having trouble because of his new role give him his real role. If he is that injured he needs to sit. There is no excuse for a man to go from dropping 27 against a P5 to a literal zero here other than the Coach is not utilizing him correctly. We need scoring bad and he needs a real chance at the 2.
I cringe every time Curry takes a 3, but Nunn and Banks need to be bombing away if we want any shot of beating the dreaded Syracuse zone. Of course, that’s tricky because we need Nunn to distribute better, our guards don’t have many assists on the season so far.

VCU77

Elite Member
Insider
Focus on rebounding, cut down on turnovers, shoot free throws better, and get average production from Banks and Tso and we will win quite a few games (and would probably be 4-0 now).

BGDragoon80

Insider
Focus on rebounding, cut down on turnovers, shoot free throws better, and get average production from Banks and Tso and we will win quite a few games (and would probably be 4-0 now).
We also need some points in the paint from our bigs. Getting 20 to 25 points combined from the bigs would be helpful.

Half-baked Mcbride

Elite Member
Not sure what to make of Jimmy 5¢'s. He has great size especially for the A10, has a decent looking stroke especially for his size. The little time that I have seen him out there he seems to be playing hard and at least trying to play our brand of D. I was really excited when he joined up as I'm sure many of you were. I like the dude so I hope to see him happy and successful.

I'm afraid it's one of those things that fans aren't privy to but maybe has to do with things (or lack thereof) during practice?

It's weird....why have the tool in your belt if you're not gonna use it??

Rama Lama Ding Dong

Elite Member
Sounds right. Also seems like we should have more production from Ward (who I love). Maybe better shooting will open that up.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
At some point soon (like this week in the Bahamas soon), teams are going to start doubling down on Vince from the outside and let the rest of the team shoot threes until someone not named Vince can prove they can hit them. Syracuse is pretty much a 100% zone defense. That does not bode well for VCU's anemic perimeter game.
Cuse wants teams to play on their heels and shoot mostly contested threes—-that is their whole scheme. We need our guards and wings to penetrate seems in the zone and then either hit the mid-range or drop a post pass if the defense converges on the ball. If we can do that early, then there will be open threes on the inside-out game.

Simply put though, if we don’t penetrate the zone early and well, it will be ugly—no matter how we improve from three.

MobileMunchies

Elite Member
The Chef said some interesting things on his game wrap video regarding covid senior play another year rules and how it's affecting young teams. It's worth a watch if all haven't already.

Would have been easier to just say if we’d played basketball better we’d be 4-0.

GuardTheArc

Elite Member
I don’t typically expect much from perimeter frosh (Nunn/Kern).

However, Banks, Tsohonis, and Curry (particularly the two upperclassmen) need to deliver and they simply haven’t (and, frankly, are likely not capable of significant/meaningful contributions this season).

The perimeter standard is Melvin Johnson, JeQuan Lewis, BA Walker, Jamal Shuler, Treveon Graham, Darius Theus, Troy Daniels, Brandon Rozzell, Jesse Pellot-Rosa, Korey Billbury, Deriante Jenkins, Bones Hyland, Rob Brandenberg, Samir Doughty, etc.

They, to date, have not even been close to that. Frankly, they haven’t even been Doug Brooks, Jordan Burgess, or Ed Nixon.

Reality check - the upperclassmen (collectively) are average, by normal Ram standards. Our current perimeter players (collectively) are also average, by normal Ram standards.

The narrative that we are “loaded with talent” is false. "Athleticism/length" - sure. "Potential" - maybe.

Marcus Evans bailed us out time and time again in 2019. Bones did likewise in 2021. The defense has buoyed us all along.

This year, the current kids are offensively limited; our two (potential) life jackets are not on the court (Ace and Jamir). We are drowning.

Sometimes it’s just simple personnel decisions.

Bennett (UVA) goes to the portal and lands Franklin and Gardner (two leading scorers). VCU (9 out of last 10 NCAAs) settles for two (marginal) rotation guys, Tsohonis and Nichols.

We spend 4 yrs on Curry instead of upgrading (just like we did for Crowfield). We re-invest in Stockard. Then we double-down and start them both and play ‘em big minutes. Meanwhile, talent galore in the portal and transfers getting sit-out waivers (immediate eligibility).

Banks appears to be Crowfield 2.0 (just glad to be on the team and get a free ride). Zero aggression/confidence thus far. Empty minutes. Also, I wonder how many years Mike is gonna keep “schollying up” McAllister after two knees.

Idk what they're doing with Tsohonis, but he needs to be moved back to his real position. We desperately need offense more than shared PG duties rn. If he is having trouble because of his new role give him his real role. If he is that injured he needs to sit. There is no excuse for a man to go from dropping 27 against a P5 to a literal zero here other than the Coach is not utilizing him correctly. We need scoring bad and he needs a real chance at the 2.
I don’t buy the he needs to be an off-guard and will suddenly become a productive player. He was brought in as a combo 1/2.

We also need some points in the paint from our bigs. Getting 20 to 25 points combined from the bigs would be helpful.
It would be great if this was the case, but I think we’re going to see us flipping Vince between the 3 and 4, and going with a small lineup about half the time. The bigs are struggling offensively even more than the guards are…and I don’t think we’re any worse of a rebounding team than we already are by going small.

DisplacedRam

Elite Member
Insider
I'm afraid it's one of those things that fans aren't privy to but maybe has to do with things (or lack thereof) during practice?

agreed, and I'm fine not knowing the full story. Still plenty of games left for him and his place on the team to get sorted out.

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
Everyone should re-watch this for a reminder of how we'd probably look with Ace and Jamir. Even if you don't watch all of it, watch the first few minutes. Our first 8 points were Ace assists to Stockard and Ward, a Jamir assist to Ward, and a runner by Ace. Look how easily Ace probes and penetrates the defense. Our offense will look 3x better if we simply cut back on turnovers, pass into the post, and move and cut without the ball whenever someone penetrates. Ace will help with that tremendously, and Rhoades will be called an offensive guru all of a sudden.

Besides rebounding, our biggest issue IMO is our guards are still too scared to pass into the post. Ace did it relentlessly, and Ward really misses him. I really can't wait to see Ace out there with Kern, DeLoach, and Ward.

zackry93

Elite Member
Insider
I cringe every time Curry takes a 3, but Nunn and Banks need to be bombing away if we want any shot of beating the dreaded Syracuse zone. Of course, that’s tricky because we need Nunn to distribute better, our guards don’t have many assists on the season so far.
Curry taking a 3 is still better than a turnover so compared to a normal offensive possession I don't get too upset.

would not be the first time lack of something in practice got you put on the end of the bench with Rhoades