The Season

Ramaholic

Elite Member
I am slowly becoming a believer in this season. I remember in 2006/07 if I remember with BA, Jesse, EM, Kirill, Wil, Mike A, it seemed like we won a bunch of close games often against weaker teams. And we never got blown out by anyone.
Now add into the mix this team is younger and playing itself into shape as it adds in Ace. we could string together a nice little win streak coming up if we get by the next few games.
Still alot of "if's" in such a scenario, but I am beginning to see some hope for a good season.

Ramlove81

Elite Member
I am hopeful too, or should I say still. If I had watched the first few weeks and seen no improvement then I wouldn't have much hope for the season. The improvement gives me hope and the determination I see in the players gives me hope this season may turn out pretty good. The other thing, which I think many of us have seen, is that early this season the teams that are experienced and been playing together for a while have had an advantage over younger teams and teams that have a lot of different players who have not been playing together. That effect seems to be fading already. As our guys figure out their roles and chemistry comes together, the games are looking a little different. Even the game Saturday shows this in that it certainly looked that way early, but during the game our guys figured it out. Consider this, for the last 33 minutes of the game we out scored Campbell 61-41 and it would have been more if we hadn't faltered (turnovers trying to milk the clock, missed free throws) for a few minutes right at the end of the game. Still a lot for our guys to work on, but they are doing it.

Ululating Daddy

Elite Member
I am hopeful too, or should I say still. If I had watched the first few weeks and seen no improvement then I wouldn't have much hope for the season. The improvement gives me hope and the determination I see in the players gives me hope this season may turn out pretty good. The other thing, which I think many of us have seen, is that early this season the teams that are experienced and been playing together for a while have had an advantage over younger teams and teams that have a lot of different players who have not been playing together. That effect seems to be fading already. As our guys figure out their roles and chemistry comes together, the games are looking a little different. Even the game Saturday shows this in that it certainly looked that way early, but during the game our guys figured it out. Consider this, for the last 33 minutes of the game we out scored Campbell 61-41 and it would have been more if we hadn't faltered (turnovers trying to milk the clock, missed free throws) for a few minutes right at the end of the game. Still a lot for our guys to work on, but they are doing it.
This is right on point, I think. The only guys coming back into the same roles were Levi, Hason, and Ace. And then, of course, Ace was injured.

I always thought things would be rough early, and the team would be better as the season progressed. We were even rougher than I expected, but we're improving fast.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
I am slowly becoming a believer in this season. I remember in 2006/07 if I remember with BA, Jesse, EM, Kirill, Wil, Mike A, it seemed like we won a bunch of close games often against weaker teams. And we never got blown out by anyone.
Now add into the mix this team is younger and playing itself into shape as it adds in Ace. we could string together a nice little win streak coming up if we get by the next few games.
Still alot of "if's" in such a scenario, but I am beginning to see some hope for a good season.
It wasn't that long ago that we started a season 5-5 and everyone was ready to throw in the towel. We finished 24-10 and got a win in the NCAA tournament that year (even though our coach at the time would prove to be a slimeball).

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Yeah, it's early so some of the numbers are weird. I don't see Wagner being that high once we get into the meat of the season...but then again, it worked out for Colgate. In any case, that's probably going to prove not to be a bad loss.

Yeah, it's early so some of the numbers are weird. I don't see Wagner being that high once we get into the meat of the season...but then again, it worked out for Colgate. In any case, that's probably going to prove not to be a bad loss.
Agree that Wagner will fall, but I think they are pretty safe from Q4 and have a chance of staying in the top 100 (I see you UNT). Colgate isn't a good precedent since they didn't play a NCOS. NET and other metric ratings require samples between conferences to get division 1 ratings correct.

AlienAiden

Elite Member
Insider
FF7vK3mXEAwtYLi

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
This really was a well put together schedule by our staff.
It's going to be strong. I'm fairly positive none of the teams in it will be Q4 by the end of the season, and a few will work their way into Q1 or Q2. Syracuse will be a signature win come Selection Sunday.

It also helps that SLU and Davidson have been strong - those could represent additional signature win opportunities in conference play.

It's going to be strong. I'm fairly positive none of the teams in it will be Q4 by the end of the season, and a few will work their way into Q1 or Q2. Syracuse will be a signature win come Selection Sunday.

It also helps that SLU and Davidson have been strong - those could represent additional signature win opportunities in conference play.
I think you mean that none of the teams we've played to date will end up as Q4. Some of the upcoming teams will.