The Season

BradRamFan

Elite Member
Mason holds the patent for how not to advance your program after a Final Four appearance. :lol: I'm thinking the Loyola program is in more capable hands. Loyola did follow up their Final Four run by making it to the Sweet Sixteen last year.
And they are stepping up in Conference just a year after that. Mason's issue is that they failed in retaining their coach and failed to look to higher conferences/or turned them down.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Mason holds the patent for how not to advance your program after a Final Four appearance. :lol: I'm thinking the Loyola program is in more capable hands. Loyola did follow up their Final Four run by making it to the Sweet Sixteen last year.
Mason’s fate was sealed when Coach L left and their solution was Hewitt….they were highly relevant until that point. I think you are right, Loyola probably managed replacing Moser a whole lot better. It bears watching though.

WI.Ram10

Elite Member
Really wonder if that A10Talk stuff made him play out of character and got to him. A real PSYOP move from the A10Talk folks.
Idk who the folks are but from what see from others comments, their opinion is trash. Clearly not an objective rep of the A10 or else they have been hurt in a bad bad way by VCU

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Mason’s fate was sealed when Coach L left and their solution was Hewitt….they were highly relevant until that point. I think you are right, Loyola probably managed replacing Moser a whole lot better. It bears watching though.

Coach L left for a reason. The fmason administration did not want to capitalize on their Final Four run and sink any money into the basketball program. VCU took a much "smarter" approach to their Final Four run, and it has paid off tenfold. fmason is no better off now than before their Final Four run, other than being in the A-10. They have had some facility upgrades, but they have been mid-major type upgrades.

vcumad

Elite Member
Insider
Coach L left for a reason. The fmason administration did not want to capitalize on their Final Four run and sink any money into the basketball program. VCU took a much "smarter" approach to their Final Four run, and it has paid off tenfold. fmason is no better off now than before their Final Four run, other than being in the A-10. They have had some facility upgrades, but they have been mid-major type upgrades.
And the main reason that occurred is AD Ed.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Our NET took an absolute nosedive, from #50 to #64. The fact that the Bonnies lost to Virginia Tech (who are winless in the ACC) probably did not help. The Bonnies jump from #110 to #90, so now five teams in the conference are in the top 100 (with Rhode Island at #101).

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
And the main reason that occurred is AD Ed.

I think you are not giving Norwood Teague nearly enough credit for what he did. Norwood hired Shaka Smart. VCU went to the Final Four while Norwood was at VCU. The BDC was approved by VCU's Board of Visitors in August 2011, 4 months after VCU's Final Four run and 11 months prior to Ed's arrival at VCU.

Last edited:

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
Our NET took an absolute nosedive, from #50 to #64. The fact that the Bonnies lost to Virginia Tech (who are winless in the ACC) probably did not help. The Bonnies jump from #110 to #90, so now five teams in the conference are in the top 100 (with Rhode Island at #101).

And fur is headed down I-95 South! :lol:

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Dropping 14 spots is definitely something to note, but beating Davidson at least once in our next 2 games and handily beating St Joes could really push us upwards.

I’ve also felt like Bona is a win streak away from being in really good position, resume-wise. Just need to get back into atleast the 60s of the NET to feel comfortable.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
I’ve been told that when Shaka’s salary increased to about $1.3mil after the F4 run, Coach L asked fMason AD to match Shaka’s salary (his salary was about 850K). fMason AD declined and when Frank Haith was canned, Coach L said fudge it and went to Miami. 2 Sweet 16s, 4 NCAA berths, and an ACC Tournament title later…. I’d say it’s been a success.

WillWeaverRVA

Elite Member
Dropping 14 spots is definitely something to note, but beating Davidson at least once in our next 2 games and handily beating St Joes could really push us upwards.

I’ve also felt like Bona is a win streak away from being in really good position, resume-wise. Just need to get back into atleast the 60s of the NET to feel comfortable.
Yeah, not the end of the world. We have a good opportunity to climb back up during the next couple of weeks, we just don’t need any more games like last night’s.

Wolfpack Ram

Elite Member
VCU has to play St. Bonaventure, Davidson, fur and Dayton twice each this season. Although last night was frustrating, it did not define VCU's season. There is a ton of basketball left. VCU plays Davidson twice, @fur and home against Dayton in 4 of its next 5 games. Let's see where this team stands after that stretch before anyone throws in the towel.