The Season

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
VCU has to play St. Bonaventure, Davidson, fur and Dayton twice each this season. Although last night was frustrating, it did not define VCU's season. There is a ton of basketball left. VCU plays Davidson twice, @fur and home against Dayton in 4 of its next 5 games. Let's see where this team stands after that stretch before anyone throws in the towel.
This x 1000. I swear I think some of you think we go undefeated every A10 season.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Yeah, not the end of the world. We have a good opportunity to climb back up during the next couple of weeks, we just don’t need any more games like last night’s.
For sure and if we handily beat the “BAD” teams in the A10, it will help.

For what it’s worth, Wagner is at 65. They are a good team, but they will most certainly be in the 76-160 NET range by March which would be a Q3 loss though one Q3 loss doesn’t kill you. Chattanooga is at 38 and I’m convinced outside of Bona and maybe Rhody or SLU, they are the biggest (in terms of size) team we will play this season.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
The game last night was disappointing but as it happens every year the A10 can take a wild swing in one day. That can happen on Tuesday if things go right for VCU.
For sure. I’m not disappointed in losing, I’m disappointed in how we played. But…. I also know it’s just one game and you can flip the script in just a few days.

If you had told me before the Dayton game that we will play our next 4 scheduled games and finish 3-1, I would have been ECSTATIC.

Last edited:

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
Our NET took an absolute nosedive, from #50 to #64. The fact that the Bonnies lost to Virginia Tech (who are winless in the ACC) probably did not help. The Bonnies jump from #110 to #90, so now five teams in the conference are in the top 100 (with Rhode Island at #101).
Well, us at 64 and Bona at 90 just goes to show how sketchy the metrics is are at this point. We are vastly inferior to them at every spot and it isn’t close—especially the bench coaching.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
@PRock were you saying that when we beat them by 30 and 28?
Saying what? SBU this year is vastly superior to us in every dimension….the fact that they are currently 90 in the NET and we are 64, shows how sketchy that metric is at this point. If you want to take that as some master statement for the last five years—go for it, but I am not commenting on anything other than the NET being sketchy and us getting curb stomped last night.

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
@PRock I think SBU's more talented players just executed better at home.

That’s fine and a valid perspective, we disagree on that point…we will have a better sense for which POV is more astute in the return game, keep the receipt if you like.

Still, a debate about why we got smoked, has no bearing on the fact that looking at NET rankings this early in the season is ludicrous, as clearly there isn’t a reality where we should be rated ahead of SBU, much less 26 spots ahead

Last edited:

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
@PRock the neutral court 37 point loss to VT and home loss to UNI hurt SBU more than anything, regardless of last night. Our performance at Atlantis is what's helping our NET. I definitely don't think we're "vastly inferior at every spot".

PRock

Elite Member
Insider
@PRock the neutral court 37 point loss to VT and home loss to UNI hurt SBU more than anything, regardless of last night. Our performance at Atlantis is what's helping our NET. I definitely don't think we're "vastly inferior at every spot".

we disagree ”vastly”, let’s reconvene March 2nd. I hope you are correct.

if you are feeling froggy like you were when you came at me for something I did not say…..name any $ amount you are comfortable with that we end up in front of SBU in the Net. I’ll take SBU -10, meaning you win if we are within 10 spots of SBU or better.

And don’t come with some soft bet….make it painful. I actually hope to lose.

Last edited:

LQuarles

Elite Member
Insider
@PRock I don't even know what you're talking about now. And I honestly don't give a [email protected] about the NET the way you do. My original comment was because I took offense to your dramatic "vastly inferior" comment. I was ignoring the part about the NET.

If Stockard and Nunn, who just happen to be the last players recovering from COVID, have their normal games, and Curry hits just a couple of those 3s he was left open for (for good reason, his shot and form are terrible), it's a VASTLY different game. If we had Watkins, Curry likely isn't even out there.

What you never seem to understand is it doesn't take much at all to change the entire complexion of a game. We literally beat that team at home last year.