The state of Ramnation

Pavarotti

Nation Donor
Insider
Feb 9, 2009
We have been and generally are more athletic than many teams we play. That means we tend to see 2/3, 1/3/1 and sometimes 3/2 zones. In all cases the offense has to “throw the ball around” until there is an overload somewhere and and one player gets an open shot. The other basic option is to get the ball to the center who either makes a move or switches sides by kicking the ball to the weak side. There are other possibilities if you have a quick guard who can penetrate into the center hole and kick it out or go up etc. in almost all cases someone does get an open shot but if they do not hit it they ( the team) looks foolish for taking so long. We look really good when we hit our open shots. We look really bad when we miss or take the shot too early. All the coaching in the world doesn’t change the necessity to hit open shots against a zone. We had a superior penetrator last year, unfortunately he is hurt and therefore our options are less. If MSS plays like he has in the last three games we lose another option. IMO we press to give us more options and let our strength control the game. If the pressure fails we have to hit shots or out rebound the opponent. Here’s hoping we hit 45% or higher from 3 and 45% inside against the Spiders!! If not we need to play outstanding defense, which we have and can again!! Go RAMS!!!! Just my opinion.
It's nice to see an informed post every so often.

Natty

Co-Founder
Top Member
Insider
Feb 12, 2009
Man, I read all 7 pages of comments and people are debbie downers.

One, if you think MR can't coach or recruit, leave this conversion and go be a keyboard warrior somewhere else. Your the guy who won't go back and look at tape and acknowledge all the stats that don't show up on the stat sheet. Everyone talks about "Shakas recruits" - yeah, that MR got in the door first and signed and sealed for Shaka to come in and finish. Those kids don't even talk to Shaka if MR hasn't already done his thing. MR is a heck of a basketball coach and anyone who says otherwise is completely clueless and hasn't played a meaningful game of competitive basketball in their life. MSS was a 3 star at MOST, Evans was a 2 star, I don't even know what Vann was, DJ is the only legit 4 star that Rhoades didn't recruit....so we add all this up and in the years since he's been here he's gotten 4 star Williams, 4 star Hyland, 4 star Baldwin and 3 more 3 stars coming with 1 scholarship avail and someone WILL transfer, it always happens. So AGAIN, of the talent that was there when he got there PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW HE'S NOT SLOWLY getting better recruits. This isn't UCLA or a blue blood, you don't get to demand instant success. It takes time to implement a system and get your guys (NEXT YEARS CLASS).

People do understand that what he asks of his players is incredibly difficult if you've never played defense before, correct? AAU and junk basketball coaches have RUINED kids by teaching them just "score and pull up"..don't run an offense just 1 v 1...yeah well look who got to the Natty last year? 2 of the BEST DEFENSIVE teams in America in TTU and UVA...not Kentucky, not Duke...D TEAMS. DEFENSE WINS GAMES. The rotations, the help, the front of the post to make them lob in with the oppo side sliding to swipe - you have to reteach the mentality...but of course if you're a keyboard warrior, you wouldn't know this...they have games where they won't run a single play ever again, it's all based on match up and who they're playing. St Joes they weren't sliding for the help because they take more 3s than anyone in the A10 and a lot of their baskets are junk threes or ridiculous o board put backs - so by not sliding, we D'd up man to man and made them take long end of shot clock 3s. That's a low percentage shot, we'll take that all day. Next game we went right back to hedging out on P&Rs, sliding to help the helper. It's just crazy to me that a man who's bringing 4 stars in regularly now, is 60-30 in 2 1/2 years with an NCAA tournament appearance, a top 50 class next year with 1 scholarship left and we're complaining? Some Beta boy posted in the other thread that WE PAY MR A MILLION DOLLARS TO COMPETE FOR A NATIONAL TITLE. I'll leave that comment there. Guy has never played an athletic down or possession in his life.

"When you're winning, it's easy. The true test of a team comes when the wins don't...how do you respond?"
Just to add to this...

The good news is the world feels like it's ending right now and we're still a top-50 team that's currently on the NCAA tournament bubble. That's a great place to spend your low point. That Mason loss sucked, but keep in mind during Wade's last year we lost at F'ing Fordham. The year before that we lost at both UMass and Mason and both sucked. Rhoades inherited a team that lost half the roster and had a matter of weeks to bring in half of a basketball team. That takes some time to recover from. It's how you get Tyler Maye and Lewis Djonkam on a VCU program they weren't at the talent level for (and are now gone) and Xavier Jackson and Kel Simms on from the JUCO ranks. Mike's first "real class" (Vince and KeShawn) has shown promise and you just see things building up from there. Bones, Tre, Hasan and Jarren IMO look like one of the most promising/balanced classes I can remember and next year's group on paper is one of the best we've ever brought in.

Right now we're a top-50 team starting two guys who were recruited to a sub-250 Rice program (Marcus & Corey), a guy recruited to Maine that Rhoades didn't bring in (IV) and one very highly-rated leftover from Wade's time (De'Ri). Add in Kel who's getting big minutes and was a JUCO.

Come on y'all, Rhoades has us a top-50 team by basically duct taping a squad together. Even if Marcus is struggling this year, that guy is a 2000-point scorer who was a First Team A-10 player last year and I repeat, originally was recruited to RICE! F'ing RICE (who has yet to crack the top-200 since Rhoades left).

I personally love that we have high expectations and lose our minds when our path doesn't look like a lock for the NCAA tournament. I think that's a good thing. But just wanted to add some perspective as well.

Let Rhoades get some dudes. Let him get his dudes. I personally love the direction he's got us pointed in.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I hope not but just would not be surprised to see some transfers.
Wow, you're really going out on a limb with such a bold prediction:

Previous transfers
2019 - PJ Byrd, Mobley
2018 - Tyler Maye, Lewis Djonkam
2017 - Samir Doughty, Ahmed Hamdy
2016 - Michael Gilmore
2015 - Terry Larrier
2014 - Jarius Lyles
2013 - Justin Tuoyo, DJ Haley, Teddy Okereafor
2012 - Reco McCarter

We have had transfers eight straight years. I have another bold prediction: VCU will wear black and gold uniforms next season.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Wow, you're really going out on a limb with such a bold prediction:

Previous transfers
2019 - PJ Byrd, Mobley
2018 - Tyler Maye, Lewis Djonkam
2017 - Samir Doughty, Ahmed Hamdy
2016 - Michael Gilmore
2015 - Terry Larrier
2014 - Jarius Lyles
2013 - Justin Tuoyo, DJ Haley, Teddy Okereafor
2012 - Reco McCarter

We have had transfers eight straight years. I have another bold prediction: VCU will wear black and gold uniforms next season.
Is Reco McCarter the most hyped up player in VCU history that was simply just not good at all?

May 19, 2015
Just to add to this...

The good news is the world feels like it's ending right now and we're still a top-50 team that's currently on the NCAA tournament bubble. That's a great place to spend your low point. That Mason loss sucked, but keep in mind during Wade's last year we lost at F'ing Fordham. The year before that we lost at both UMass and Mason and both sucked. Rhoades inherited a team that lost half the roster and had a matter of weeks to bring in half of a basketball team. That takes some time to recover from. It's how you get Tyler Maye and Lewis Djonkam on a VCU program they weren't at the talent level for (and are now gone) and Xavier Jackson and Kel Simms on from the JUCO ranks. Mike's first "real class" (Vince and KeShawn) has shown promise and you just see things building up from there. Bones, Tre, Hasan and Jarren IMO look like one of the most promising/balanced classes I can remember and next year's group on paper is one of the best we've ever brought in.

Right now we're a top-50 team starting two guys who were recruited to a sub-250 Rice program (Marcus & Corey), a guy recruited to Maine that Rhoades didn't bring in (IV) and one very highly-rated leftover from Wade's time (De'Ri). Add in Kel who's getting big minutes and was a JUCO.

Come on y'all, Rhoades has us a top-50 team by basically duct taping a squad together. Even if Marcus is struggling this year, that guy is a 2000-point scorer who was a First Team A-10 player last year and I repeat, originally was recruited to RICE! F'ing RICE (who has yet to crack the top-200 since Rhoades left).

I personally love that we have high expectations and lose our minds when our path doesn't look like a lock for the NCAA tournament. I think that's a good thing. But just wanted to add some perspective as well.

Let Rhoades get some dudes. Let him get his dudes. I personally love the direction he's got us pointed in.
Thank you. Many people respect your perspective. Your words are worth a million bucks to this team, fan base and Coach!

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Havoc City

Top Member
Nov 8, 2014
Lol. It's time to get honest with ourselves. Our real issue is can we compete against fur this weekend. Winning a game in the NCAA tournament should be the least of our concerns right now.
How did it come to this? We lost to Dayton who have arguably the best player in College Basketball this year and a solid cast of teammates, plus a very good head coach, we lost to a Rhody team that is also having a surprisingly good year and seems to have our number, and the we laid an egg.

1 bad loss and now the question is can we compete. We smashed Davidson, UR and others in the A10 but now its can we compete. Give me a break.
We'll put it on UR like always.
So about our little disagreement...

• Haha
Reactions: RAMBALLFAN

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
This thread is a lifesaver. Didn't want to read 100 pages of posts to figure out the state of RamNation will be fine. Albeit. losing to Mason and FUR in the same week makes me want to move to Richmond and jump off a bridge into the James.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2013
LSU lost to a team that had 0 conference wins (and had lost 26 conference games in a row) 10 days ago. I agree it's concerning, but it does just happen sometimes.

Lsu a lock for the NCAA tourney not a bubble team before playing Mason and U of R...Lsu didn't need to play with desperation

Last edited:
Reactions: wavevcu

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
Lsu a lock for the NCAA tourney not a bubble team before playing Mason and U of R
Comparing lsu basketball to VCU is not very fair since they've been playing basketball like 60 some years before VCU and hasn't advanced past the final four either.