The state of Ramnation

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
MR has been a head coach since 2014 and have 1 NCAA appearance... Lsu coach Wade has been a head coach since 2014 and he about to be on his 4th NCAA appearance
They each took over programs at very different stages. Will told me himself that the cupboard was bare when Mike took over, so that 1st year at VCU gets a pass. What Mike did at Rice was fantastic coaching. I’ll give you this season, which is a disappointment so far.

Reactions: RamStrut

BaNgMyPrOgRaM

Top Member
Insider
Mar 27, 2009
MR has been a head coach since 2014 and have 1 NCAA appearance... Lsu coach Wade has been a head coach since 2014 and he about to be on his 4th NCAA appearance
So you are Cajun and now you have Shaquille O'Niels son a transfer student from UCLA. Impressive. Frank is not going to win. Book it.

Jan 25, 2013
They each took over programs at very different stages. Will told me himself that the cupboard was bare when Mike took over, so that 1st year at VCU gets a pass. What Mike did at Rice was fantastic coaching. I’ll give you this season, which is a disappointment so far.
Wade took over a LSU squad coming off of a 10 win season, that's a "bare cupboard"...Wade won 18 games in his first season and now back to back ncaa tournament appearances. That's an excuse.. Mike Rhoades had numerous 4 star recruits when he took over at VCU.. Jenkins 4 star (top 100 ESPN) ,Tillman 4 star Espn, Sean Mobley 4 star Espn and Khris Lane one of the top players in the Big South!

Reactions: Celticguy

Cyniclone

Top Member
Jan 30, 2013
Wade is about to have 4 NCAA appearance….Rhoades got a way to go with 1 in his career....VCU has the talent!
Disingenuous. MR took over one of the worst programs in the nation in Rice — he'd have had an easier time making the D1 NCAA tournament from Randolph-Macon — and immediately made them competitive. Then after a rebuild year at VCU, brought them back to the NCAAs last year.

Everyone agrees this year is a massive disappointment and, unless they beat Dayton, are going to have to do some magic in Brooklyn to go back. But seriously, most schools' fans would give up important parts of their anatomy to have a guy like Rhoades, this year's letdown notwithstanding.

But sure, fire the guy after three seasons because they only had one NCAA trip in that time. Good luck getting your top-tier replacement choices to agree to take over a program with a leash that short and a fanbase that, ahem, demands 100 percent NCAA tournament participation. You don't have to be a sunshine pumper, but man almighty, you have to use some perspective here.

I know Ram Nation doesn't speak with one voice, but it's perversely entertaining to watch the pendulum swing between he's our forever coach! and he's in over his head and we have to cut bait!

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Wade took over a LSU squad coming off of a 10 win season, that's a "bare cupboard"...Wade won 18 games in his first season and now back to back ncaa tournament appearances. That's an excuse.. Mike Rhoades had numerous 4 star recruits when he took over at VCU.. Jenkins 4 star (top 100 ESPN) ,Tillman 4 star Espn, Sean Mobley 4 star Espn and Khris Lane one of the top players in the Big South!
And Mike won 18 games his first year. Stop with the recruiting rankings. That means nothing without context, like whether a kid is a freshman or a senior. Khris Lane....seriously? Yes, Lane was picked as the last player on the 2nd team all Big South his last year at Longwood. Khris Lane...LOL.

This year is a big disappointment so far. That’s on the coaches and players. I can‘t be any clearer on that fact, so please spare me the “making excuses” B.S.

Your insistence on going back to Mike’s first year or his salary is ridiculous and a waste of time.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
A friend of mine who knows college basketball asked me last night what VCUs biggest issue is this year? I told him that overall the team has been out of sync for a reason that is unknown, but what absolutely KILLS us when an opponent takes the lead is that we lack a “get-a-bucket-guy.” Typically a guard or slasher is going to be that guy on the team. Evans was the man last year, but his injuries have affected him this year. I love DJ’s improvement this season, but he’s still not an alpha. And that’s about it.

I’ve watched VCU basketball since 1999 and we’ve been luck enough to have the likes of Dominic Jones, Michael Doles, Eric Maynor, Brandon Rozzell, Bradford Burgess, Treveon Graham, Melvin Johnson, and JeQuan Lewis to name a few. Those guys would put the ball in the darn hoop when an opponent had momentum.

Maybe a few of our freshman have that gene and I love the recruits we have coming in next year, but I just don’t see a member of the senior class having that gene built inside them.

I know we are all frustrated with the way the team is playing. Thoughts on my opinion?

Reactions: northernvatiger

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
And Mike won 18 games his first year. Stop with the recruiting rankings. That means nothing without context, like whether a kid is a freshman or a senior. Khris Lane....seriously? Yes, Lane was picked as the last player on the 2nd team all Big South his last year at Longwood. Khris Lane...LOL.

This year is a big disappointment so far. That’s on the coaches and players. I can‘t be any clearer on that fact, so please spare me the “making excuses” B.S.

Your insistence on going back to Mike’s first year or his salary is ridiculous and a waste of time.
He’s a troll and he didn’t have a valentine date this year because he was in hibernation for a year. Please ignore him.