The state of Ramnation

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
But sure, fire the guy after three seasons because they only had one NCAA trip in that time. Good luck getting your top-tier replacement choices to agree to take over a program with a leash that short and a fanbase that, ahem, demands 100 percent NCAA tournament participation. You don't have to be a sunshine pumper, but man almighty, you have to use some perspective here.
Well, if anyone wants an example, look at Texas. They fired a coach that went to the NCAA year after year, missing a year now and then, so was just not good enough for them. So they fired that coach and hired the latest and greatest. Book is still out on that hire, but may know in a few weeks how it worked out. However, indications are that the "latest and greatest" will be looking for new employment. And don't get me wrong, I love the guy. But I don't dwell in the past. Things happen for a reason. And him leaving here had nothing to do with anything any of us could control.

Folks, this is college basketball. And this has been one of the strangest in recent history. But the final chapter has not been written on the season, and certainly not on VCU final position in the season. Still plenty of ball to play. I, for one, plan on seeing as much of it as I can and supporting my team. That is what real fans do.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
An interesting side note to the game yesterday was the lack of playing time for some older guys. Douglas got 4 minutes, Simms got 7 and Crowfield got 8. None of the three had foul problems. Compare that to some of the young guys: Ward got 8 minutes, Clark got 10, and McAllister got 13. Counting Bones, freshman got 51 of the 200 minutes on the court.
How'd that work...
The problem yesterday was as much schematic as personnel

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
An interesting side note to the game yesterday was the lack of playing time for some older guys. Douglas got 4 minutes, Simms got 7 and Crowfield got 8. None of the three had foul problems. Compare that to some of the young guys: Ward got 8 minutes, Clark got 10, and McAllister got 13. Counting Bones, freshman got 51 of the 200 minutes on the court.
Hopefully a changing of the guard.

Reactions: Newboy

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Wade took over a LSU squad coming off of a 10 win season, that's a "bare cupboard"...Wade won 18 games in his first season and now back to back ncaa tournament appearances. That's an excuse.. Mike Rhoades had numerous 4 star recruits when he took over at VCU.. Jenkins 4 star (top 100 ESPN) ,Tillman 4 star Espn, Sean Mobley 4 star Espn and Khris Lane one of the top players in the Big South!
Yeah, lets start paying players to match Wade's accomplishments. Brilliant. You failed to mention Wade also leads Rhoades in NCAA investigations, wiretaps, and documented "strong ___ offers."

Last edited:

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
How'd that work...
The problem yesterday was as much schematic as personnel
The young guys played better than the old guys yesterday, so from that perspective it was an improvement.

It’s the same scheme that beat UR by 19 a couple of weeks ago. It’s the same scheme that won the league regular season last year. The scheme, in general, isn’t the issue. Execution of the scheme, energy/urgency and a lack of confidence on the floor are the problems.

Jan 25, 2013
Yeah, lets start paying players to match Wade's accomplishments. Brilliant. You failed to mention Wade also leads Rhoades in NCAA investigations, wiretaps, and documented "strong ___ offers."
You wasn't complaining about that a few years ago lol a lot of programs was on the list reported by espn including majority of the blue blood programs (even Duke and coach k)....still don't change the fact that Rhoades has 1 NCAA bid as a head coach and is headed for NIT or CIT in 3 weeks lol a rebuild coming next year..NCAA bid isn't coming anytime soon!

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
You wasn't complaining about that a few years ago lol a lot of programs was on the list reported by espn including majority of the blue blood programs (even Duke)....still don't change the fact that Rhoades has 1 NCAA bid as a head coach and is headed for NIT or CIT in 3 weeks lol
Please allow me to finish your thought for you, “...And MR makes $1 million and that‘s just not fair.”

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Hopefully a changing of the guard.
Well, if so, we see how far that got us yesterday.

What beat us yesterday was that ur shot very well from the three. Far better than they did @VCU. At VCU they shot 4-21 (19%) vs 11-22 (50%). Those first three in the row were the dagger. Took a lot of wind out of our sails.

Hopefully, we can recover from the losses this week and still make some progress. If you look at the schedule the rest of the way, we still have decent shot at a double bye. The teams head of us also have to play twice a week. They are also playing some tough games, against each other, us, and some of the top teams. So far, if you look at the schedule, be have lost to the two best teams, split with one, and except for one game, beat the teams we should beat. Keep that up and only have 6 losses and I think we finish at least 4th. And sorry for the haters, but anything can happen in a three or four game tournament. We are the deepest team in the Conference (by far) and just maybe that is the strength that Mike is trying to yoke. When we get to Brooklyn, I think we are not going to have a bunch of inexperienced freshmen we have to use to save the starters for getting too tired. We are going to have some experienced guys who have been in the fight and ready to prove themselves.

Sorry, I like our chances. We have been here before. Everyone always says it- We play better as an underdog with a chip on our shoulders.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
You wasn't complaining about that a few years ago lol a lot of programs was on the list reported by espn including majority of the blue blood programs (even Duke)....still don't change the fact that Rhoades has 1 NCAA bid as a head coach and is headed for NIT or CIT in 3 weeks lol
Uh, please share all the investigation reports that surfaced when he was coaching at VCU.

So Anthony Grant took over a program that went to the NCAAs four straight seasons including an elite eight and he missed the tournament his first two seasons at Dayton. Guess if you were a Dayton fan you would've been calling for his head, correct (cue to post some convoluted logic why that's different)?

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010

What beat us yesterday was that ur shot very well from the three. Far better than they did @VCU. At VCU they shot 4-21 (19%) vs 11-22 (50%). Those first three in the row were the dagger. Took a lot of wind out of our sails.

Hopefully, we can recover from the losses this week and still make some progress. If you look at the schedule the rest of the way, we still have decent shot at a double bye. The teams head of us also have to play twice a week. They are also playing some tough games, against each other, us, and some of the top teams. So far, if you look at the schedule, be have lost to the two best teams, split with one, and except for one game, beat the teams we should beat. Keep that up and only have 6 losses and I think we finish at least 4th. And sorry for the haters, but anything can happen in a three or four game tournament. We are the deepest team in the Conference (by far) and just maybe that is the strength that Mike is trying to yoke. When we get to Brooklyn, I think we are not going to have a bunch of inexperienced freshmen we have to use to save the starters for getting too tired. We are going to have some experienced guys who have been in the fight and ready to prove themselves.

Sorry, I like our chances. We have been here before. Everyone always says it- We play better as an underdog with a chip on our shoulders.
Credit to UR for making shots, but our defense was atrocious. Many of the threes were WIDE OPEN. When we did challenge, we were late.

The double bye would be a gift at this point. Let’s just win a game. Things can turn around quickly. The guys just need to get some confidence back. They look defeated as soon as Sherod hit his 3rd three.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009

You failed to mention that we shot horribly. So it wasn't just Richmond hot shooting. I mentioned earlier that change is needed but this was a bad time to implement change (UR on the road, Dayton at home, not to mention Saint Louis on the road). Rick, I get the positive view and I'm usually in that camp. I get that our best chance is probably sticking with the vets. But my gut is now telling me the seniors are unlikely to get it done either, so lets start incorporating more of the young guys. I doubt Simms, Crowfield (and throw in Douglas) are going to make a difference moving forward. Do you really think things will be worse playing Bones, Ward and McAllister more?