The state of Ramnation

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Uh, please share all the investigation reports that surfaced when he was coaching at VCU.

So Anthony Grant took over a program that went to the NCAAs four straight seasons including an elite eight and he missed the tournament his first two seasons at Dayton. Guess if you were a Dayton fan you would've been calling for his head, correct (cue to post some convoluted logic why that's different)?
Chill, see this is how we can tell that our friend CRF is a newer fan, or more likely not a fan at all. It is obvious to anyone who was around when the Shaka was the coach that Mike and Will had a lot to do with Shaka's success. Heck, even Shaka will admit it.

For those new people, I challenge you to go back and watch the old tapes. They are out there. I don't have to because I was at every game Shaka coached at VCU, but for five. Many times at road games I was sitting behind the bench. No matter where I sit, I always watch the staff. Who is the coach talking to? Who do the players go to when they come off the floor. Who is standing next to the coach when critical decisions were being made? You don't have to take my word for it, look at the video.

I was told a long time ago, when discussing Shaka's success at VCU, that it was a combination of things. But mostly it was the troika- Shaka, Will and Mike. Shaka had the concept; Will put it on paper; and Mike figured out how to execute it. We have been blessed by having all three as a head coach.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2013
And Mike won 18 games his first year. Stop with the recruiting rankings. That means nothing without context, like whether a kid is a freshman or a senior. Khris Lane....seriously? Yes, Lane was picked as the last player on the 2nd team all Big South his last year at Longwood. Khris Lane...LOL.

This year is a big disappointment so far. That’s on the coaches and players. I can‘t be any clearer on that fact, so please spare me the “making excuses” B.S.

Your insistence on going back to Mike’s first year or his salary is ridiculous and a waste of time.
Rankings mean a lot, that's why majority of Espn ranked guys who are MCDAA go to the NBA. That's a fact! You have been making excuses for 5 pages now lol who cares if he was picked last or first on the 2nd team all Big South, he was selected. You're breaking down where guys are selected on teams are EXCUSES for MR argument lol Since Evans wasn't the first pick on All A10 last year, its less impressive? lol That makes no sense at all! come on now lol 2 out of the 3 years MR has been at VCU is an disappointment. From your prospective its a waste of time. VCU just got deiminated by Mason (VCU was playing for an at large bid at the time), who took an L to GWU yesterday lol let the sink in smh I guess you're one of the fans that believe NIT or CIT is a post season tourney, so that's good! lol MR made no in game adjustments yesterday, offensive sets were horrible , and once teams break the VCU press, he get a deer in the headlight look. Other posters has said these same things on this board but I'm a hater when I say it lol Hater or not, VCU is on its way to a 0-3 skid possibly more.....

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Chill, see this is how we can tell that our friend CRF is a newer fan, or more likely not a fan at all. It is obvious to anyone who was around when the Shaka was the coach that Mike and Will had a lot to do with Shaka's success. heck, even Shaka will admit it.

For those new people, I challenge you to go back and watch the old tapes. There are our there. I don't have to because I was at every game Shaka coached at VCU but for five. Many times at road games I was sitting behind the bench. No matter where I sit, I always watch the staff. Who is the coach talking to? Who do the players go to when they come off the floor. Who is standing next to the coach when critical decisions were being made? You don't have to take my word for it, look at the video.

I was told a long time ago, when discussing Shaka's success at VCU, that it was a combination of things. But mostly it was the troika- Shaka, Will and Mike. Shaka had the concept; Will put it on paper; and Mike figured out how to execute it. We have been blessed by having all three as a head coach.
And you bring up something that has been on my mind but I can't speak on with any knowledge, and that's Mike's coaching staff. Shaka had a ton of future D1 head coaches on this staffs. I seriously question whether Mike has a coaching staff of that quality?

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Jan 25, 2013
Chill, see this is how we can tell that our friend CRF is a newer fan, or more likely not a fan at all. It is obvious to anyone who was around when the Shaka was the coach that Mike and Will had a lot to do with Shaka's success. heck, even Shaka will admit it.

For those new people, I challenge you to go back and watch the old tapes. There are our there. I don't have to because I was at every game Shaka coached at VCU but for five. Many times at road games I was sitting behind the bench. No matter where I sit, I always watch the staff. Who is the coach talking to? Who do the players go to when they come off the floor. Who is standing next to the coach when critical decisions were being made? You don't have to take my word for it, look at the video.

all great assistant coaches, don't make great head coaches....Rhoades is a great assistant coach but avg at best head coach (in my humble opinion)..

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
Glad to know we don't have a monopoly on ridiculous fans.
You know I go to a lot of VCU road games. And I talk to a lot of fans from the schools we travel to.

When we played @Texas I did not talk to a single person who wanted Shaka to stay. One asked me if we could take him with us when we left. And we were sitting in the prime seats, mid-court, forth 4 row, between the benches. So these were some pretty big donors.

I've been to Dayton every year we played them, but for this year (family health problem prevented me from going). People looked at me like I was crazy when I praised Anthony, when he first got there. I had to tell them to give him time, that he was a good coach.

Basketball is a show-me-now business. Big Al on Richmond radio called it best- Termites. They come out when things are bad. When things are good, they just go back into their hole

Last edited:

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
all great assistant coaches, don't make great head coaches....Rhoades is a great assistant coach but avg at best head coach (in my humble opinion)..
Based on your vast experience in doing what? Are you in the business? Do you ever go to a game? Without looking it up, can you name two assistants we have? Have you ever sat and talked to ANY college coach?

Thought so.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Rankings mean a lot, that's why majority of Espn ranked guys who are MCDAA go to the NBA. That's a fact! You have been making excuses for 5 pages now lol who cares if he was picked last or first on the 2nd team all Big South, he was selected. You're breaking down where guys are selected on teams are EXCUSES for MR argument lol Since Evans wasn't the first pick on All A10 last year, its less impressive? lol That makes no sense at all! come on now lol 2 out of the 3 years MR has been at VCU is an disappointment. From your prospective its a waste of time. VCU just got deiminated by Mason (VCU was playing for an at large bid at the time), who took an L to GWU yesterday lol let the sink in smh I guess you're one of the fans that believe NIT or CIT is a post season tourney, so that's good! lol MR made no in game adjustments yesterday, offensive sets were horrible , and once teams break the VCU press, he get a deer in the headlight look. Other posters has said these same things on this board but I'm a hater when I say it lol Hater or not, VCU is on its way to a 0-3 skid possibly more.....
No, you're a hater because you have an agenda. Being a "VCU fan" and a "VCU critic" are not the same. True fans have the right to be speak out and be disappointed. Critics who only have things to say when we're struggling, I have little use for. That's why many of your post you're just spewing ridiculous rhetoric with more holes in your logic than swiss cheese because you don't really care about the program, you're just interested in taking shots at the program.

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
Let me repeat a question I asked you yesterday: do you actually read before replying? I never said that rankings in and of themselves don’t matter. I said that without the proper context they don’t matter much. That‘s an important distinction. Is the 4 star a freshman or a senior? That matters. Unless you are talking one and done kids, a 4 star freshman is still a freshman with lots of room to improve.

Let me say to you, again, so that you understand clearly: I am not making excuses for this year’s team. They are a disappointment at this point. That’s on the coaches and the players.

Last edited:
Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
Really frustrating to see that Mason lost at home to an even worse GW team. This after our losing to Mason on our home court.
maybe it's because we are worse than gw right now.

If the team continues to play at this level then the fanbase should expect the rams to lose out the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2010
I've complained mostly about Lack of Offense this season..... Missed Bunnies & wide open threes from senior class...
I also hear many state that OUR Defense is predicated on setting up the press after a MADE shot!

So did this put us in a Lose/Lose based off this poor shooting?
Adjustments that could have been made based off that knowledge?

Statistics can show percentages - - - - BUT Play by Play has shown when we were DOWN BIG opponents would soften their defense to prevent fouls which in turn would "boost" overall shooting percentages at the end of games.

UGH - Frustrating season!!

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
How far you want to take this? All great coaches don't have immediate success at their current gig either.

Is Gregg Marshall a great coach? He took over a program two years removed from a sweet 16, one year removed from being ranked 8th in the country. Took him four years at Wichita State before he went to his first dance there.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Well, if anyone wants an example, look at Texas. They fired a coach that went to the NCAA year after year, missing a year now and then, so was just not good enough for them. So they fired that coach and hired the latest and greatest. Book is still out on that hire, but may know in a few weeks how it worked out. However, indications are that the "latest and greatest" will be looking for new employment. And don't get me wrong, I love the guy. But I don't dwell in the past. Things happen for a reason. And him leaving here had nothing to do with anything any of us could control.

Folks, this is college basketball. And this has been one of the strangest in recent history. But the final chapter has not been written on the season, and certainly not on VCU final position in the season. Still plenty of ball to play. I, for one, plan on seeing as much of it as I can and supporting my team. That is what real fans do.
Book is still out on that hire ? Shaka's been toast since last season. He will. to step foot in the new arena as the mens basketball coach at UT.

Texas fired Barnes, who was also going thru personal stuff that affected his coaching, he wasn't getting to the second weekend any more, and his teams were losing BIG 12 games they felt they shouldn't.

I just don't think you can compare UT to VCU in many metrics other than there bot play D1 basketball. Coach Rhoades gets 2 more seasons of full faith. If he can't get the team going past that point, that will be an indictment of his coaching IMO. Untill then I'm onboard 100% and still think the season is going to end in good shape....... pleeeeeeeeeeeeazzzzzzzzzzzz ohhh please.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Chill, see this is how we can tell that our friend CRF is a newer fan, or more likely not a fan at all. It is obvious to anyone who was around when the Shaka was the coach that Mike and Will had a lot to do with Shaka's success. Heck, even Shaka will admit it.

For those new people, I challenge you to go back and watch the old tapes. They are out there. I don't have to because I was at every game Shaka coached at VCU, but for five. Many times at road games I was sitting behind the bench. No matter where I sit, I always watch the staff. Who is the coach talking to? Who do the players go to when they come off the floor. Who is standing next to the coach when critical decisions were being made? You don't have to take my word for it, look at the video.

Great post, I'm subscribing to your newsletter.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
People keep saying that, but last year's OOC schedule we only played one team who ended up with a losing record (Hampton at 15-17), 9 teams who ended up winning 20 games or more, six teams with a NET under 100 (plus ODU at 100 and Charleston at 107) and ultimately the national champions. So yeah, the A10 was down last year but we also played a very competitive OOC schedule.
Your facts are correct, I probably should have said that we overachieved as a whole last year. We were picked 7th in the A10 preseason and coming into the season I was hoping for an NIT bid with this season being the NCAAs. Right now, it looks like that is flopped.

Not getting one of the wins in Florida was the difference in our OOC profile. Last the year the Temple neutral site win hovered on the Q1/Q2 line the whole season.

Half-baked Mcbride

Top Member
Apr 19, 2009
Why even play Crow? He is a shooter that takes 1 shot a game. Shouldn't he be a leader on this team? I will say I don't understand why Douglas only played 4. Simms is hot and cold.
For context? Bones has 46 3's this season (so far)....Crow's BEST season as a Ram?? He netted 46 (last year)...and Bone's is doing it playing fewer minutes per game. Crow is basically a 3/4 point per game 1 or so assist guy who rarely turns it over...In his commit thread @2012Ram posted "Consensus 3* recruit, big time shooter, possible PG option, great offer sheet"

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't...we all know this. But while Dayton is bringing 3* recruit Ibi Watson off the bench for 3's and 10-ish points a game, here we are with an "Army" of fine gentlemen and student athletes (I love and support them all, truly I do) but the numbers don't lie. We're getting 15-20 minutes from upperclassmen who are giving us 3-7ppg 1-ish assists, and around 2 (or less) rebounds and about the same in turnovers.

Maybe the reality is this isn't a top flight A10 in a good year? 25 games in, seems that is the reality...Pre season hype is just that...hype. Numbers are what they are.

For hope in the future? Look no further than the gains MSS and Keyshawn have made, the "ready for prime time" play of Bones...serious flashes from Hason and Jarren...freshman class of D1 body ready freshman. But that'll be a conversation for next month and the arduous off season of discontent that is sure to follow.