The state of Ramnation

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Some in Dayton were calling for his head after the first year, said he was not a good X&O guy.
The Dayton boards HATED on AG the last two years. A lot of posters constantly pointed out that no school in the country would have hired AG as their head coach except for Dayton.

Crazy how times change. It’s crazy how patience and trust can go a long way.

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
You know I go to a lot of VCU road games. And I talk to a lot of fans from the schools we travel to.

When we played @Texas I did not talk to a single person who wanted Shaka to stay. One asked me if we could take him with us when we left. And we were sitting in the prime seats, mid-court, forth 4 row, between the benches. So these were some pretty big donors.

I've been to Dayton every year we played them, but for this year (family health problem prevented me from going). People looked at me like I was crazy when I praised Anthony, when he first got there. I had to tell them to give him time, that he was a good coach.

Basketball is a show-me-now business. Big Al on Richmond radio called it best- Termites. They come out when things are bad. When things are good, they just go back into their hole
UVA fans questioned Tony Bennett after a disappointing 2012-2013 season. The six years after that season consisted of 4 regular season ACC titles, 2 ACC tournament titles, 4 one seeds in the NCAA, a 2 seed, and a 5 seed..... and oh crap a National Championship.

Patience.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
The Dayton boards HATED on AG the last two years. A lot of posters constantly pointed out that no school in the country would have hired AG as their head coach except for Dayton.

Remember when a lot of people wanted Shaka fired the first year.... and then again in February of the 2nd year?

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
UVA fans questioned Tony Bennett after a disappointing 2012-2013 season. The six years after that season consisted of 4 regular season ACC titles, 2 ACC tournament titles, 4 one seeds in the NCAA, a 2 seed, and a 5 seed..... and oh crap a National Championship.

Patience.
Lets not forget UVA fans were probably going bezerk after the UMBC history making game. I bet they wanted Tony gone after that too.... I bet that's cooled off big time after last year.

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
Jan 15, 2020
For context? Bones has 46 3's this season (so far)....Crow's BEST season as a Ram?? He netted 46 (last year)...and Bone's is doing it playing fewer minutes per game. Crow is basically a 3/4 point per game 1 or so assist guy who rarely turns it over...In his commit thread @2012Ram posted "Consensus 3* recruit, big time shooter, possible PG option, great offer sheet"

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't...we all know this. But while Dayton is bringing 3* recruit Ibi Watson off the bench for 3's and 10-ish points a game, here we are with an "Army" of fine gentlemen and student athletes (I love and support them all, truly I do) but the numbers don't lie. We're getting 15-20 minutes from upperclassmen who are giving us 3-7ppg 1-ish assists, and around 2 (or less) rebounds and about the same in turnovers.

Maybe the reality is this isn't a top flight A10 in a good year? 25 games in, seems that is the reality...Pre season hype is just that...hype. Numbers are what they are.

For hope in the future? Look no further than the gains MSS and Keyshawn have made, the "ready for prime time" play of Bones...serious flashes from Hason and Jarren...freshman class of D1 body ready freshman. But that'll be a conversation for next month and the arduous off season of discontent that is sure to follow.
We ended up in every A10 championship from our first year until a few years ago but we’re not a top flight A10 program? Um ok...

SZQ VCU

Insider
Dec 5, 2012
all great assistant coaches, don't make great head coaches....Rhoades is a great assistant coach but avg at best head coach (in my humble opinion)..
There's nothing humble about you. You come here and think you are SOOO much better than everyone else with your vitriol on a fan site. You are a troll and you're back on IGNORE. I just wish @MattRock or @Natty would boot you once and for all.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Remember when a lot of people wanted Shaka fired the first year.... and then again in February of the 2nd year?
Also remember, we're never suppose to reference 2011. Any lessons learned or parallels with the final four season is suppose to be buried and we should pretend it never happened...unless it can be used to talk about how our high expectations aren't being met.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
There's nothing humble about you. You come here and think you are SOOO much better than everyone else with your vitriol on a fan site. You are a troll and you're back on IGNORE. I just wish @MattRock or @Natty would boot you once and for all.
The problem is he walks the fine line and makes sure he doesn't post anything ban worthy. Can't really ban anyone for being critical. The good thing is we all know what he is.

• Sad

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Yep, got a ton of heat for never winning the all important regular season "championship." Never got past the first weekend except for the final four. Can't recruit bigs.

Reactions: VCU Finance 2008

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016

I'm surprised, I felt he was gonna do good things there.