The state of Ramnation

Apr 20, 2009
Im not trying to be simplistic but we are not a good shooting team. We make 43% of our shots. Its the same at home vs on the road. 35% from 3 is respectable. Many times yesterday and Wednesday we had wide open shots and just flat missed them. We are 209th in the country in field goal percentage. Thats below average. Some of thats recruiting. Some of it is guys not improving. Some of it is poor shot selection. While we are a solid defensive team we are mediocre on offense. We miss layups, short jumpers, threes, everything. Of the guys who play regularly, MSS is 56% and Corey is 49%. No one else is over 42%. You cant blame coaches because we dont shoot well. We desperately need to recruit some good shooters. Rebounding is an issue too. Thats on the players not the coaches. Guys have to work on improving on their own not just during practice. Im not sure some of our guys realize how hard you have to work to be successful.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
CoolRamFan comes here for attention.

If people stopped giving him attention he’d leave. Instead of asking Natty to ban show some self discipline or put them on ignore.
He comes here to throw shade. He doesn't need a reaction to continue to throw shade. Ignoring trolls has never worked.

Reactions: SZQ VCU

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
I think the ignore crowd sourcing is going well for coolramfan. He'll have an audience of one before to long.......

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
Chill, see this is how we can tell that our friend CRF is a newer fan, or more likely not a fan at all. It is obvious to anyone who was around when the Shaka was the coach that Mike and Will had a lot to do with Shaka's success. Heck, even Shaka will admit it.

For those new people, I challenge you to go back and watch the old tapes. They are out there. I don't have to because I was at every game Shaka coached at VCU, but for five. Many times at road games I was sitting behind the bench. No matter where I sit, I always watch the staff. Who is the coach talking to? Who do the players go to when they come off the floor. Who is standing next to the coach when critical decisions were being made? You don't have to take my word for it, look at the video.

I was told a long time ago, when discussing Shaka's success at VCU, that it was a combination of things. But mostly it was the troika- Shaka, Will and Mike. Shaka had the concept; Will put it on paper; and Mike figured out how to execute it. We have been blessed by having all three as a head coach.
Love your perspective. Let me ask you this based on your understanding of the 3 headed coaching monster that was Shaka’s crew.

If SS was the visionary, WW the strategist, and MR the Tactician, assuming MR’s perspective hasn’t changed, do you think the challenge or unspoken “elephant in the room” is that team lacks a Strategic Vision/Plan? It has no “North Star” other than “play hard and get down hill” which can be decomposed into actionable and measurable steps? A rudderless ship of sorts.

If that is your assessment, I find it very interesting and think you may be on to something.

RAMBALLFAN

Top Member
Insider
Aug 26, 2016
Regarding the title of this thread, I figured I would show a twitter response from Mr. Evans. I maturely asked him a question regarding the status of Marcus’s health. You see his response.

This is just heartbreaking to read.
He truly does have the heart of a champion and a desire to surpass expectations but like some warriors the mind is willing but the body is not able. Given his current physical challenges the greatest gift he can give to the program is to continue to work with and bestow his knowledge and insight onto his “little brother”. Having a mentor like ME will prove to be invaluable to Bones as he prepares to take the reigns and make this his team next season

Apr 21, 2009
Regarding the title of this thread, I figured I would show a twitter response from Mr. Evans. I maturely asked him a question regarding the status of Marcus’s health. You see his response.

This is just heartbreaking to read.
Heartbreaking is right, and it helps to confirm the out of sync issue you previously mentioned. What's going on with ME could not have been anticipated, and regardless of MR's lineups and strategy, the team has not been able to overcome what is essentially the loss of its best player. Quite honestly, this would be difficult for any team to overcome.

Jan 25, 2013
Based on your vast experience in doing what? Are you in the business? Do you ever go to a game? Without looking it up, can you name two assistants we have? Have you ever sat and talked to ANY college coach?

Thought so.
The same vast experience everybody on this board has who comments on VCU basketball. I played div 1 college basketball, something 95% of this board never done. Continue to be mad at posters on the board who give their opinion because VCU is underachieving. Without using google, can you name 2 offensive sets beside a press?

Thought so.

Last edited:

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
The same vast experience everybody on this board has who comments on VCU basketball. I played div 1 college basketball, something 95% of this board never done. Continue to be mad at posters on the board who give their opinion because VCU is underachieving. Without using google, can you name 2 offensive sets beside a press?

Thought so.
Busted.

Reactions: theyaintwantit