The state of Ramnation

Jan 15, 2020
The more I think about it I think the refresh is needed this offseason. Clearly Bones and others are buying in but some have simply checked out. As much as I hope for a serious change this season I’m very hopefully for next year. Hearing one of our stars show his commitment to this school and staff shows whatever else is going on is a individual problem. Probably jealousy or envy of other players.

Reactions: NCRam

fmrick

Top Member
Insider
Apr 19, 2009
The more I think about it I think the refresh is needed this offseason. Clearly Bones and others are buying in but some have simply checked out. As much as I hope for a serious change this season I’m very hopefully for next year. Hearing one of our stars show his commitment to this school and staff shows whatever else is going on is a individual problem. Probably jealousy or envy of other players.
No one has checked out. (Well, except for a few fans who don't have a clue) Maybe an injury or two limiting some, but these guys are engaged. I sat five rows behind our bench in St. Louis. I saw how they were reacting. Trust me, they gave it their all. If you sit at home and watch what TV feeds your, or just ignore the bench when you are at the SC, you won't see it. I pay attention. If others did, they would understand how much this means to guys who love VCU and give it their heart every game.

We are a victim of two things this year. First, this conference is stronger than last year. Last year we pretty much walked through it. That is different this year. We are using pretty much the same players as last year and added a few new guys. One would think that we would be favored coming into the season, and we were. But this season we have seen another team with a star player come into its own and a bunch of the other teams, who under-preformed last year, play better to their potential this year. Did you really think UR was THAT bad last year? Then we have the injuries. Last year, until late in the season, we had few. This year the list is too long to remember all of them. So why would there be any reason NOT to expect us to be preforming worse, in terms of standing in the conference, than last year?

I've was traveling from last Friday morning until last night (actually going to a basketball game) so I missed all the fun of the people who CLAIM to be fans of this team, but who seem to love self-indulging in ripping the team. For the record, while I'm as disappointed as anyone about how my team is doing at this point in the season, I offer the following, based on my personal feelings and "rules" I generally follow:

1. Still a lot of basketball to play.
2. We should all stop worrying about the post-season and concentrate on playing our games and winning.
3. I will stick to my rules, which I have followed for years- I will not criticize players and coaches publicly while the season in going on. It serves no useful purpose. There will be plenty of time for that later. That is what the six months of off-season is for.
4. When I post, I will consider that I am replying to my mother, and think about how she would feel if I talked to her the way I do other people here.
5. I will remember what I was taught early in my career about dealing with my employees, and assume the staff will use the same when dealing with their players- Praise publicly, criticize privately.

Only advice I will offer people here who are true fans of VCU and the A-10- Get to Barclays as soon as you can. This is going to be a fun tournament.

mrgeode

Top Tuna
Mar 22, 2013
No one has checked out. (Well, except for a few fans who don't have a clue) Maybe an injury or two limiting some, but these guys are engaged. I sat five rows behind our bench in St. Louis. I saw how they were reacting. Trust me, they gave it their all. If you sit at home and watch what TV feeds your, or just ignore the bench when you are at the SC, you won't see it. I pay attention. If others did, they would understand how much this means to guys who love VCU and give it their heart every game.

We are a victim of two things this year. First, this conference is stronger than last year. Last year we pretty much walked through it. That is different this year. We are using pretty much the same players as last year and added a few new guys. One would think that we would be favored coming into the season, and we were. But this season we have seen another team with a star player come into its own and a bunch of the other teams, who under-preformed last year, play better to their potential this year. Did you really think UR was THAT bad last year? Then we have the injuries. Last year, until late in the season, we had few. This year the list is too long to remember all of them. So why would there be any reason NOT to expect us to be preforming worse, in terms of standing in the conference, than last year?

I've was traveling from last Friday morning until last night (actually going to a basketball game) so I missed all the fun of the people who CLAIM to be fans of this team, but who seem to love self-indulging in ripping the team. For the record, while I'm as disappointed as anyone about how my team is doing at this point in the season, I offer the following, based on my personal feelings and "rules" I generally follow:

2. We should all stop worrying about the post-season and concentrate on playing our games and winning.
3. I will stick to my rules, which I have followed for years- I will not criticize players and coaches publicly while the season in going on. It serves no useful purpose. There will be plenty of time for that later. That is what the six months of off-season is for.
4. When I post, I will consider that I am replying to my mother, and think about how she would feel if I talked to her the way I do other people here.
5. I will remember what I was taught early in my career about dealing with my employees, and assume the staff will use the same when dealing with their players- Praise publicly, criticize privately.

Only advice I will offer people here who are true fans of VCU and the A-10- Get to Barclays as soon as you can. This is going to be a fun tournament.
Mike clearly believes in #5, which I respect.

May 4, 2012

This should be a good conference tourny.

May 19, 2015

THANK YOU for standing up for our Team. Many of us have posted our allegiance to the team through thick and thin. I have heard how much you travel with the team, met with the players and staff and witnessed the human emotions of the players. These emotions are never seen by those that are quick to criticize and dehumanize comments made in general about the team and, in some cases, personally directed to a player. I know people are disappointed in the season so far, but the Team has not finished what they started-the season is not over. I appreciate you reminding everyone that we need to get ready for the next game and to support our VCU MBB Team! When we return to the Stu, there will be thousands cheering on our RAMS because there is no greater fans than the VCU fan base. We are not like Texas, where everyone has abandoned Shaka or other schools that do not show up unless you offer them a discount ticket and meal. 8-)

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
Publicly criticizing results or the coaching staff does not make one a fake fan. That is some Jonestown level shiz. That being said, how you talk about a player's performance matters. It's fine to say "ME clearly isn't the same player he was last year." It's not fine to say "Marcus sucks and he should be ashamed of his performance."

May 19, 2015
Publicly criticizing results or the coaching staff does not make one a fake fan. That is some Jonestown level shiz. That being said, how you talk about a player's performance matters. It's fine to say "ME clearly isn't the same player he was last year." It's not fine to say "Marcus sucks and he should be ashamed of his performance."
I’m clearly not talking about constructive criticism. I think anyone can go back and check my posts to make that determination. I think you can go back through many posts and determine which ones are vile and have no business being directed to a player personally or in general.

Reactions: SpiderRAM

BracketForecast

Top Member
May 9, 2011
I’m clearly not talking about constructive criticism. I think anyone can go back and check my posts to make that determination. I think you can go back through many posts and determine which ones are vile and have no business being directed to a player personally or in general.
I appreciate that but this wasn't directed at you.

Jan 15, 2020

If all our players are truly still all in I’m quite concerned with our performances. I think we all realize the conference is better but so much better that we fall to middle of the pack at best? Was the conference THAT bad that we were actually a bad mid team that won the conference handily? If our current place is truly our potential with this team that’s quite concerning. Given it doesn’t matter much for the future as the team will completely different next year.

May 4, 2012
If all our players are truly still all in I’m quite concerned with our performances. I think we all realize the conference is better but so much better that we fall to middle of the pack at best? Was the conference THAT bad that we were actually a bad mid team that won the conference handily? If our current place is truly our potential with this team that’s quite concerning. Given it doesn’t matter much for the future as the team will completely different next year.
I think if you go back and review the previews we caught several teams down guys from injury and a few games that were close. Point being we were not that good last year and tge conference was decidedly down. This year looked good on paper but that had to do with conventional wisdom. Things did nit go that way.

Ramdog

Top Member
Feb 10, 2009
I think if you go back and review the previews we caught several teams down guys from injury and a few games that were close. Point being we were not that good last year and tge conference was decidedly down. This year looked good on paper but that had to do with conventional wisdom. Things did nit go that way.
You should seek help.

Reactions: NCRam