The state of Ramnation

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
I feel like you started listing reasons why fans SHOULDN'T be pissed and then changed course. No team is above having a crap season and it's arrogant to think otherwise. I don't begrudge anyone their apprehensions given this is bad year 2 out of 3 and the expectations coming into the year, but acting like a year like this should NEVER happen here is absurd. Be disappointed, be upset (I am) but allow a little logic in there too.
Based on the players/starters that returned from a team that went 25-8 last season, along with the preseason projections, a year like this year should NEVER happen. It hasn't happened at VCU in 22 years, and the VCU program was at a much different level 22 years ago.

Reactions: connell

HTTRams!

Top Member
Jan 18, 2014
Based on the players/starters that returned from a team that went 25-8 last season, along with the preseason projections, a year like this year should NEVER happen. It hasn't happened at VCU in 22 years, and the VCU program was at a much different level 22 years ago.
So to that point, same coach as last year and same players....yet, most of the blame goes on the coaches? Hmm, I am not sure about this one my dude. It's the same system, no one really left that mattered.....it's the players under performing. Not saying coach shouldn't be blamed at all but, this one is mostly on the players.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
So to that point, same coach as last year and same players....yet, most of the blame goes on the coaches? Hmm, I am not sure about this one my dude. It's the same system, no one really left that mattered.....it's the players under performing. Not saying coach shouldn't be blamed at all but, this one is mostly on the players.
And I stated in a previous post responding to you that it's 60% on the coaching staff and 40% on the players. At the end of the day, though, the coaching staff (Mike Rhoades) makes all of the final decisions - and that's why it's 60% on the coaching staff.

Mar 2, 2014
And I stated in a previous post responding to you that it's 60% on the coaching staff and 40% on the players. At the end of the day, though, the coaching staff (Mike Rhoades) makes all of the final decisions - and that's why it's 60% on the coaching staff.
Coach must be seeing something in practice that we aren't seeing in games.

HTTRams!

Top Member
Jan 18, 2014
Right, and what I am saying is that most of this is NOT on the coach. It's the same system as last year bro. He didn't reinvent the wheel. Can he be better, yes.....but I don't agree with your assessment of 60/40.

Dec 21, 2019
Maybe the seniors realized none of them are good enough to make a living after this year playing basketball and have given up.. just a thought?

I personally would like a little more pride put toward the program from them and respect all the former players, coaches, and fans.

RowdyPkunk

Top Member
May 19, 2009
If I had to put a percentage on it, I would say 40% players/60% coaching staff. At the end of the day the coaching staff makes all of the decisions. That's why I think it's 60% coaching staff. Perfect example: Vann has had a horrible year compared to last year and Coach Rhoades has still started Vann every game. At some point, the coaching staff needs to make a change in order to help both the player and the team. That change should have happened a lot earlier in the season when this team was a lot more healthier with more depth. Yes, Vann's performance is ultimately on him, but how the coaching staff has managed the situation is 100% on Mike Rhoades.
While I would say that is a fair percentage and assessment.... I could also easily flip it and say it's 60/40 the other way.... therefore I will say it's 50-50 right down the middle.

My question is... if you sit Vann... who do you start in his place? Vince? Corey? Crow? Simms? None of the 4 are really lighting it up offensively this year. Vince had a injury that affecting his fingers/hand & I think someone else said his shoulder too... so that would affect his shooting motion. Crowfield is one of our best 3 point shooters & can play solid defense but that's basically it. He's not really a drive to the basket guy & he's not a guy who can easily create his own shot. Simms (who was starting for a while).... has had a rough year as well. So that leaves Corey... which for a few games Corey did start.... but then you have a situation where he picks up a quick foul early & has to go right back to the bench so that we still have someone to give MSS a break when needed.

Unless of course you think Ward is ready to start.... but at the very least I would like to see Ward get more playing time.

But you could also make a case for just going ahead & making Bones the starting PG for the rest of the season.... he could made it a week or 2 ago based on how Evans season is going. ME hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either this year.... his numbers are down, he's been injured, he's been sick, he's stayed up til 3 in the morning interacting with fans on social media (and not in a good way).... So why not just say F*** it & make the switch & make Bones the starting PG officially for the rest of the year.... and when healthy ME can come off the bench.

Maybe because Bones being a freshman, and still showing typical freshman tendencies, he's not entirely ready yet to be the starting PG? Would you agree with that assessment?

The team as a whole is down this year.... we've had injuries galore, illnesses and some kind of behind the scenes conflict between players & coaches that no one really knows the whole story about..... and while sure people can say it's the coaches fault for lack of adjustments, or bad play calling.... etc. The coach isn't telling players to go out there & take an off balanced 3 with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, the coach isn't telling players to dribble into a crowded paint and turn the ball over. Among many other things that as a team we have done bad at this year..... like leaving shooters wide open for 3's.... which they seemingly have hit way more this year than in previous years.

Certainly not opposed to switching things up lineup wise to see if maybe we can create a spark or something though.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Right, and what I am saying is that most of this is NOT on the coach. It's the same system as last year bro. He didn't reinvent the wheel. Can he be better, yes.....but I don't agree with your assessment of 60/40.
You say it's not on the coach. What offensive adjustments has Mike Rhoades made in the last month? VCU has run the same offense the last 7 games. There have been little to no adjustments. That's 100% on the coaching staff. This team does not make adjustments based on scouting reports. And, if the coaching staff is trying to implement any type of adjustments, then why are the same players still on the court if they can't follow the plan? If/how much a player plays is 100% a coaching decision.

Reactions: connell

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
While I would say that is a fair percentage and assessment.... I could also easily flip it and say it's 60/40 the other way.... therefore I will say it's 50-50 right down the middle.

My question is... if you sit Vann... who do you start in his place? Vince? Corey? Crow? Simms? None of the 4 are really lighting it up offensively this year. Vince had a injury that affecting his fingers/hand & I think someone else said his shoulder too... so that would affect his shooting motion. Crowfield is one of our best 3 point shooters & can play solid defense but that's basically it. He's not really a drive to the basket guy & he's not a guy who can easily create his own shot. Simms (who was starting for a while).... has had a rough year as well. So that leaves Corey... which for a few games Corey did start.... but then you have a situation where he picks up a quick foul early & has to go right back to the bench so that we still have someone to give MSS a break when needed.

Unless of course you think Ward is ready to start.... but at the very least I would like to see Ward get more playing time.

But you could also make a case for just going ahead & making Bones the starting PG for the rest of the season.... he could made it a week or 2 ago based on how Evans season is going. ME hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either this year.... his numbers are down, he's been injured, he's been sick, he's stayed up til 3 in the morning interacting with fans on social media (and not in a good way).... So why not just say F*** it & make the switch & make Bones the starting PG officially for the rest of the year.... and when healthy ME can come off the bench.

Maybe because Bones being a freshman, and still showing typical freshman tendencies, he's not entirely ready yet to be the starting PG? Would you agree with that assessment?

The team as a whole is down this year.... we've had injuries galore, illnesses and some kind of behind the scenes conflict between players & coaches that no one really knows the whole story about..... and while sure people can say it's the coaches fault for lack of adjustments, or bad play calling.... etc. The coach isn't telling players to go out there & take an off balanced 3 with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, the coach isn't telling players to dribble into a crowded paint and turn the ball over. Among many other things that as a team we have done bad at this year..... like leaving shooters wide open for 3's.... which they seemingly have hit way more this year than in previous years.

Certainly not opposed to switching things up lineup wise to see if maybe we can create a spark or something though.
Just because you don't start Vann, it doesn't mean he isn't going to play at all. He will still get minutes. Maybe sitting him at the beginning of the game will make him more productive when he does come off of the bench. And to answer your question regarding who to start, why not McAllister. He's tough as nails and is not afraid to crash the boards or drive to the basket. The point being, why continue to reward Vann for poor play? How do you think that affects others on the team. They are watching the games just like you and me and busting their a$$es off in practice while biding time for their chance.

HTTRams!

Top Member
Jan 18, 2014
You say it's not on the coach. What offensive adjustments has Mike Rhoades made in the last month? VCU has run the same offense the last 7 games. There have been little to no adjustments. That's 100% on the coaching staff. This team does not make adjustments based on scouting reports. And, if the coaching staff is trying to implement any type of adjustments, then why are the same players still on the court if they can't follow the plan? If/how much a player plays is 100% a coaching decision.
As you put your statement in bold, I will do the same.....I would say most of this is not on coach. Did I say it was 100 percent on the players?

That said, we ran the same offense earlier in the year and last year. Did you not see how many open shots players missed yesterday? That's on coach too? Come on bro. I would love to see some adjustment on the offensive side, things I enjoy as someone who loves the game but, if the players ain't hittin their shots then that's on them.

2012Ram

Top Member
Feb 28, 2013
Who is this question directed at?
Anyone who thinks the staff shouldn't get any of the blame for this year. If you wanna say it's all on the players, cool, but the coaches brought most of these guys in. 4 players on this roster are Wade's if you include MSS.

Reactions: Newboy