The state of Ramnation

Apr 20, 2009
Pretty sure VCU did not recruit EJ Sherod very hard and Will Wade totally backed off of Nick Sherod. @bighorn is just stirring the stick over things that possibly happened 20+ years ago.
We didn't really recruit EJ. Shaka really wanted Demonte Buckingham from Henrico and from what i can recall, pursued him over Nick. I believe he thought we probably could not take both. Lamar Taylor came to VCU with no protest at all from Coach Threatts. Lamar was one of the easiest recruits we ever signed. I dont think he considered any other schools seriously. I liked Coach Threatts. I announced games for TJ when Frank was at JM. I also announced the summer hoops league at Franklin St and TJ for several years. All the local college guys and pros played. So i got to know most of the guys pretty well. I had a nice discussion with Travis McKie when he was being recruited. His goal was to play in the ACC. He wanted to go to UNC but they never offered. So he ended up at Wake. Travis had nothing against VCU. He just wanted to play against the best competition he could. Guys like Isaiah Todd, Wheeler, Coleman, Reid are thinking about the NBA. College is just a pitstop. Todd chose Michigan because of Juwan Howard. The reason we aren't getting these kids has nothing to do with VCU not being a good place. We only have 2 former players in the NBA. If we had the history of some of the bigger schools we could perhaps be a destination for some of them. I love Brent Scott but as a 6-10 power forward would you rather be coached by Brent or Juwan ?

As for Milton Bell lets just say Milton's mom and Coach Thompson were very close. Coach Thompson has always hated VCU ever since we beat them in the ECAC tournament in 1978. Thats why he blocked Milton from transferring here when he left Georgetown. Thats why Milton ended up at Richmond.

Apr 20, 2009
Absolutely!!! It is not about the school's relationship. It's about the coach's relationship. Mack McCarthy burned a LOT of bridges. Jeff Capel tried to mend those fences. And that has help for the coaches that came behind him.

As far as Nick Sherod and Buckingham go, That's totally on Will Wade, and Mooney was the homeless person picking up the leftover food to save his job.
Its absolutely not all on Wade. Shaka was the coach when we were recruiting Sherod and Buck. Shaka really liked Buck. I was at a game at Henrico High watching Buck play and i remember Shaka being there too. Will was at Chattanooga at that time. Im not saying none of it is on Will but the initial recruitment of both was all Shaka.

Wolfpack Ram

Top Member
Apr 21, 2009
Its absolutely not all on Wade. Shaka was the coach when we were recruiting Sherod and Buck. Shaka really liked Buck. I was at a game at Henrico High watching Buck play and i remember Shaka being there too. Will was at Chattanooga at that time. Im not saying none of it is on Will but the initial recruitment of both was all Shaka.
And go back and read my post. The fact that neither Sherod or Buckingham came to VCU is TOTALLY on Will Wade. Shaka recruited both and Wade chose not to pursue either one of them once he became VCU's head coach. That was TOTALLY Wade's decision and is on him.

Feb 14, 2011
And go back and read my post. The fact that neither Sherod or Buckingham came to VCU is TOTALLY on Will Wade. Shaka recruited both and Wade chose not to pursue either one of them once he became VCU's head coach. That was TOTALLY Wade's decision and is on him.
There's more to the Buck story where details are best left alone but the bottom line is Wade passing on Buck and/or Buck passing on VCU worked out for both parties.

Reactions: wavevcu
Jan 16, 2020
Don't know if any VCU coaches were in attendance last night, but if they were they saw John Marshall, featuring Roosevelt Wheeler, edge Stuarts Draft, 136-99, in State 2A quarterfinals at Huguenot High. It was sixth highest combined score in VHSL history. Justices are coming soon to a gym near you - semifinals vs. East Rockingham Tuesday at The Stu ... Finals Thursday. Look for the "Wheeler Dealer" to be State Player of Year as junior. That honor went to then JM sophomore Isaiah Todd two seasons ago.

Don't know why this happened, but JM tone toward VCU seems to be more friendly ....
Maybe so, but Wheeler has already visited VCU several times over the last 3 years including a visit here in the last 2 - 3 months

http://instagr.am/p/B88v0-JBNSh/

His Mother, the biggest influence in this whole process, seems to love this.coaching staff.

We may very well have a decent shot at Wheeler.
Don't know why, but JM tone regarding VCU seems to have improved ... I wouldn't totally rule out Wheeler at this point, but he has taken visits to NC State and Louisville .... junior guard Jason Nelson has visited UR and Vandy ... best of bunch could be 6-6 frosh Dennis "Pigtails" Parker ... JM rolled to State 2A title Thursday at The Stu .... but incredibly, Gate City (351 miles away) had more fans. JM won its six post-season games by an average of 37 points. State tournament was cancelled following JM game due to health concerns.