The state of Ramnation

Ram14

Top Member
Insider
Jun 20, 2011
Get a grip people.

Students, get it in gear and stop sitting in your rooms watching on TV.

Fans, don't jump off the bridge after one albeit disaterous night- just wait for a couple more really tough contest and then choose a higher bridge... or maybe just keep cheering and supporting the guys.

Last night sucked for us as fans, last night sucked a thousand times more for the young men who have busted their butts to be out there wearing the Black and Gold.

Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow. I love my Rams.

Apr 19, 2009
Anybody can decommit. Geez, you guys are acting like the team is 7-17. Heck, the guys who are stinking up the joint are the dudes leaving. If anything these recruits are probably thinking "wait 'til I get there and see if we ever play like that." Hopefully these recruits are stronger minded than our fans.
For real, wtf if going on. Players leaving recruits decommitting, for what? Because we might not make the tournament? Like others have said we have a poop ton of open minutes next year. I suspect most of the team issues, if there are any, will be gone after march.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I think a lot of kids come to VCU because of the possibility to play in the NCAA tournament. If we don't make it this year and having 4 new inexperienced starters next year, who knows when we make it again. Also, MR does not have a track record at least while at VCU of developing his players and making them better. MSS is the exception. I hope not but just would not be surprised to see some transfers.
How is that any different than if we made the NCAA this year? We are still going to have four new inexperienced (as you put it) starters next year. You guys really think barely missing the tournament is going to send recruits headed to the hills? Come on now. Coaching changes probably account for WAYYY more decommitments than missing the tournament. I don't think recruits are as doom and gloom as some of you "fans."

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
Anybody can decommit. Geez, you guys are acting like the team is 7-17. Heck, the guys who are stinking up the joint are the dudes leaving. If anything these recruits are probably thinking "wait 'til I get there and see if we ever play like that." Hopefully these recruits are stronger minded than our fans.
Chill, we’ve lost one bad game this year and some people on here think we are going to lose the whole fudge1ng freshman class as well as the next class due to transfers and decommitts.

Reactions: DisplacedRam

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
The state of Ramnation is fine. Don't block the exits on you way out! Bandwaggoners and Trolls are the worst. I take that back. Aisle walkers are the worse.
30-40% of fans miss the 20:00 - 16:00 minute mark of the second half because of the rooms to go to and drink. Drives me nuts.

Mistachill

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
Chill, we’ve lost one bad game this year and some people on here think we are going to lose the whole fudge1ng freshman class as well as the next class due to transfers and decommitts.
And the thing is, I bet none of these folks can reference a single recruit who bailed on a team because they missed the tournament.

It just occurred to me (and I looked it up and confirmed it), Syracuse missed the tournament the season before Carmelo arrived and led them to a national championship. Top athletics believe they can affect change, not just expect it to be handed to them on a platter.

Love2Ram

Top Member
Feb 25, 2011
How did it come to this? We lost to Dayton who have arguably the best player in College Basketball this year and a solid cast of teammates, plus a very good head coach, we lost to a Rhody team that is also having a surprisingly good year and seems to have our number, and the we laid an egg.

1 bad loss and now the question is can we compete. We smashed Davidson, UR and others in the A10 but now its can we compete. Give me a break.
We'll put it on UR like always.
What have we won outside the Stu? Seriously, best win on a neutral court or the road? That is how we've reached this point.

duncanlamb

Top Member
Insider
Apr 22, 2009
How is that any different than if we made the NCAA this year? We are still going to have four new inexperienced (as you put it) starters next year. You guys really think barely missing the tournament is going to send recruits headed to the hills? Come on now. Coaching changes probably account for WAYYY more decommitments than missing the tournament. I don't think recruits are as doom and gloom as some of you "fans."
no plauers is going to bail because missing the tournament but we miss it if we keep playing like this. How many times does your playing rotation need to be told to play with a sense of urgency after a lack luster performance? dayton, uri twice, now mason.

we aren't getting better..

The only complete game we've played all year on both sides of the ball was st. Bonaventure.

Coach said it best at the post game presser "If we continue to play like this, we will be crushed by every team going forward..no excuse getting out rebounded 48-27 with 15 offensive rebounds...mason had 36 second chance points..that's half their point total! That isnt playing with a sense of urgency.

Last edited:
Reactions: rammed

BigTimeRamFan

Top Member
Jan 4, 2011
At some point and I think better sooner than later, we all need to accept that this team, as of Feb 14, is not the team that we thought we had back in October. We had high expectations. Maybe too high. We were supposed to be the experienced, deep, talented team with all the success that instead, Dayton is now enjoying. I thought we would be dominating teams. Why hasn't it happened? It's easy to see.
* This team can't hold it's own on the boards. In our seven losses this season, we are a negative 68 rebounds, almost a -10rb avg.. We have only 2 players that average 4 rebounds or better! Two! Silva @8.7rpg and Jenkins at 4.0rpg. Only one additional with at least 3 rpg!!!! Alarming stat!
* We are 273rd in the nation in shooting percentage on midrange shots. Lack of talent or lack of focus? I can't remember a previous VCU team that misses the rim on shots as often as this team. Evidence the 5 shots against Mason that didn't even strike iron. I wish I understood why. I don't.
* We are 186th in the nation in near proximity shooting percentage. We don't finish well at the rim! Often out of control going into the lane, looking, hoping for a call. We are 190th in overall shooting percentage.
* We don't value the possession and are prone, usually by supposedly experienced players, to turn the ball over ,12.5 topg.. Again, a question of focus or playing too fast for the situation that exists. Number one cause of Coach hair loss and ulcers.

We need to accept these stats. We won't get any taller, we won't conjure up hidden talent. We need to understand that this might be the best that they can do. I'm ok with that. I'll love this team whether they win or lose. I'll be disappointed, but I'll accept it and keep supporting them.
This team is good. They are exciting to watch. We are having a really good season. Just not the one we thought we were going to have. This team does a lot of good things, if not great things. Our defense is incredible. It wins or has kept us in every game we have played. We are 75th in the country in 3pt shooting percentage @ almost 36%. Hey guys, why not shoot more open 3's. Put it up. Stop attempting 12-20' shots. You are not very good at it. Pull up 3 or drive it to the rim. Have the right guys shooting the ball and only when you are open!!! Forced shots will be our downfall.
There is no lack of heart on this team. Perhaps a lack of focus, but not heart! We have to find a way to play smarter, to value each and every possession and don't get down on yourselves. There aren't a lot of games left, but the ones that are left are very important. Let's enjoy. Go Rams!

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
How did it come to this? We lost to Dayton who have arguably the best player in College Basketball this year and a solid cast of teammates, plus a very good head coach, we lost to a Rhody team that is also having a surprisingly good year and seems to have our number, and the we laid an egg.

1 bad loss and now the question is can we compete. We smashed Davidson, UR and others in the A10 but now its can we compete. Give me a break.
We'll put it on UR like always.
VCU has beaten only 2 really quality programs this season (LSU and Fur ) (can't believe I'm using quality and FUR in the same sentence, but there it is) and they were both at home, and they've dropped some other games by pretty large margins. Not the reality we were all experiencing after last season, and the pre season prognostications.

I like your optimism, but the disappointing reality is this team is unpredictable, and hasn't played consistently in most metrics used to gauge success. FUR has it's best scorer back, at home, and ME may very well sit out this game. I'm calling a VCU victory, but that's a little whistling past the graveyard bravado than anything else right now.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
Funny (not really) how all of this comes out when the team isn't doing well but all is quiet when the team is winning. Winning covers up so much.
Well you don't win if you're playing well, and you don't play well if A. you're not talented, and or B. your coaching isn't very good.

Winning can cover up specific deficiencies, but losing exposes a lot of problems.