The state of Ramnation

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016

We had a bad game, the world is not ending
............to a team with 2 conference wins, and they did it in spectacular fashion. I know some people are saying stop worrying, this was just a hiccup, but it's not, and the team hasn't shown signs of snapping out of the things they've been doing poorly all season.

I want to be proven wrong when they kick ass tomorrow, and next week, but I won't be holding my breath.

Last edited:

SWV

Top Member
Insider
Jan 10, 2016
............to a team with 2 conference wins, and they did it in spectacular fashion. I know some people are saying stop worrying, this was just a hiccup, but it's not, and the team hasn't shown signs of snapping out of the things they've been doing poorly all season.

I want to be proven wrong when they kick ass tomorrow, and next week, but I won't be holding my breath.
With this 100%. I would love, love, love to be wrong. I would love to go to Brooklyn with confidence that they can kick ass and take names, but I'm not feeling it right now.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
With this 100%. I would love, love, love to be wrong. I would love to go to Brooklyn with confidence that they can kick ass and take names, but I'm not feeling it right now.
Yep, but I think we all recognize the talent is there. I think they can pull off the wins, but they have got to get their heads in the game. These all seem like mental errors, or laziness.

Reactions: SWV

HBK

Top Member
Mar 29, 2010
At some point and I think better sooner than later, we all need to accept that this team, as of Feb 14, is not the team that we thought we had back in October. We had high expectations. Maybe too high. We were supposed to be the experienced, deep, talented team with all the success that instead, Dayton is now enjoying. I thought we would be dominating teams. Why hasn't it happened? It's easy to see.
* This team can't hold it's own on the boards. In our seven losses this season, we are a negative 68 rebounds, almost a -10rb avg.. We have only 2 players that average 4 rebounds or better! Two! Silva @8.7rpg and Jenkins at 4.0rpg. Only one additional with at least 3 rpg!!!! Alarming stat!
* We are 273rd in the nation in shooting percentage on midrange shots. Lack of talent or lack of focus? I can't remember a previous VCU team that misses the rim on shots as often as this team. Evidence the 5 shots against Mason that didn't even strike iron. I wish I understood why. I don't.
* We are 186th in the nation in near proximity shooting percentage. We don't finish well at the rim! Often out of control going into the lane, looking, hoping for a call. We are 190th in overall shooting percentage.
* We don't value the possession and are prone, usually by supposedly experienced players, to turn the ball over ,12.5 topg.. Again, a question of focus or playing too fast for the situation that exists. Number one cause of Coach hair loss and ulcers.

We need to accept these stats. We won't get any taller, we won't conjure up hidden talent. We need to understand that this might be the best that they can do. I'm ok with that. I'll love this team whether they win or lose. I'll be disappointed, but I'll accept it and keep supporting them.
This team is good. They are exciting to watch. We are having a really good season. Just not the one we thought we were going to have. This team does a lot of good things, if not great things. Our defense is incredible. It wins or has kept us in every game we have played. We are 75th in the country in 3pt shooting percentage @ almost 36%. Hey guys, why not shoot more open 3's. Put it up. Stop attempting 12-20' shots. You are not very good at it. Pull up 3 or drive it to the rim. Have the right guys shooting the ball and only when you are open!!! Forced shots will be our downfall.
There is no lack of heart on this team. Perhaps a lack of focus, but not heart! We have to find a way to play smarter, to value each and every possession and don't get down on yourselves. There aren't a lot of games left, but the ones that are left are very important. Let's enjoy. Go Rams!

I am with you on everything except the turnovers. 12.5 per game for us isn’t horrible. For context, UR is #1 in the A-10 in fewest turnovers and they commit 11 per game.

Sure I’d love to be at 4 or 5 a game instead of 12.5, but it also depends on the type of turnover we commit. Are we throwing the ball away or are we getting charges and illegal screens called on us because we are too aggressive. We’ve been much better, by and large, with turnovers since the conference season started.

Jan 6, 2020
Man, I read all 7 pages of comments and people are debbie downers.

One, if you think MR can't coach or recruit, leave this conversion and go be a keyboard warrior somewhere else. Your the guy who won't go back and look at tape and acknowledge all the stats that don't show up on the stat sheet. Everyone talks about "Shakas recruits" - yeah, that MR got in the door first and signed and sealed for Shaka to come in and finish. Those kids don't even talk to Shaka if MR hasn't already done his thing. MR is a heck of a basketball coach and anyone who says otherwise is completely clueless and hasn't played a meaningful game of competitive basketball in their life. MSS was a 3 star at MOST, Evans was a 2 star, I don't even know what Vann was, DJ is the only legit 4 star that Rhoades didn't recruit....so we add all this up and in the years since he's been here he's gotten 4 star Williams, 4 star Hyland, 4 star Baldwin and 3 more 3 stars coming with 1 scholarship avail and someone WILL transfer, it always happens. So AGAIN, of the talent that was there when he got there PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW HE'S NOT SLOWLY getting better recruits. This isn't UCLA or a blue blood, you don't get to demand instant success. It takes time to implement a system and get your guys (NEXT YEARS CLASS).

People do understand that what he asks of his players is incredibly difficult if you've never played defense before, correct? AAU and junk basketball coaches have RUINED kids by teaching them just "score and pull up"..don't run an offense just 1 v 1...yeah well look who got to the Natty last year? 2 of the BEST DEFENSIVE teams in America in TTU and UVA...not Kentucky, not Duke...D TEAMS. DEFENSE WINS GAMES. The rotations, the help, the front of the post to make them lob in with the oppo side sliding to swipe - you have to reteach the mentality...but of course if you're a keyboard warrior, you wouldn't know this...they have games where they won't run a single play ever again, it's all based on match up and who they're playing. St Joes they weren't sliding for the help because they take more 3s than anyone in the A10 and a lot of their baskets are junk threes or ridiculous o board put backs - so by not sliding, we D'd up man to man and made them take long end of shot clock 3s. That's a low percentage shot, we'll take that all day. Next game we went right back to hedging out on P&Rs, sliding to help the helper. It's just crazy to me that a man who's bringing 4 stars in regularly now, is 60-30 in 2 1/2 years with an NCAA tournament appearance, a top 50 class next year with 1 scholarship left and we're complaining? Some Beta boy posted in the other thread that WE PAY MR A MILLION DOLLARS TO COMPETE FOR A NATIONAL TITLE. I'll leave that comment there. Guy has never played an athletic down or possession in his life.

"When you're winning, it's easy. The true test of a team comes when the wins don't...how do you respond?"

Feb 20, 2009

One, if you think MR can't coach or recruit, leave this conversion and go be a keyboard warrior somewhere else. Your the guy who won't go back and look at tape and acknowledge all the stats that don't show up on the stat sheet. Everyone talks about "Shakas recruits" - yeah, that MR got in the door first and signed and sealed for Shaka to come in and finish. Those kids don't even talk to Shaka if MR hasn't already done his thing. MR is a heck of a basketball coach and anyone who says otherwise is completely clueless and hasn't played a meaningful game of competitive basketball in their life. MSS was a 3 star at MOST, Evans was a 2 star, I don't even know what Vann was, DJ is the only legit 4 star that Rhoades didn't recruit....so we add all this up and in the years since he's been here he's gotten 4 star Williams, 4 star Hyland, 4 star Baldwin and 3 more 3 stars coming with 1 scholarship avail and someone WILL transfer, it always happens. So AGAIN, of the talent that was there when he got there PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW HE'S NOT SLOWLY getting better recruits. This isn't UCLA or a blue blood, you don't get to demand instant success. It takes time to implement a system and get your guys (NEXT YEARS CLASS).

People do understand that what he asks of his players is incredibly difficult if you've never played defense before, correct? AAU and junk basketball coaches have RUINED kids by teaching them just "score and pull up"..don't run an offense just 1 v 1...yeah well look who got to the Natty last year? 2 of the BEST DEFENSIVE teams in America in TTU and UVA...not Kentucky, not Duke...D TEAMS. DEFENSE WINS GAMES. The rotations, the help, the front of the post to make them lob in with the oppo side sliding to swipe - you have to reteach the mentality...but of course if you're a keyboard warrior, you wouldn't know this...they have games where they won't run a single play ever again, it's all based on match up and who they're playing. St Joes they weren't sliding for the help because they take more 3s than anyone in the A10 and a lot of their baskets are junk threes or ridiculous o board put backs - so by not sliding, we D'd up man to man and made them take long end of shot clock 3s. That's a low percentage shot, we'll take that all day. Next game we went right back to hedging out on P&Rs, sliding to help the helper. It's just crazy to me that a man who's bringing 4 stars in regularly now, is 60-30 in 2 1/2 years with an NCAA tournament appearance, a top 50 class next year with 1 scholarship left and we're complaining? Some Beta boy posted in the other thread that WE PAY MR A MILLION DOLLARS TO COMPETE FOR A NATIONAL TITLE. I'll leave that comment there. Guy has never played an athletic down or possession in his life.

"When you're winning, it's easy. The true test of a team comes when the wins don't...how do you respond?"
Found Coach Rhoades burner account.

Feb 8, 2019

Finally someone knows what they are talking about!! Well put Stylebender! If I might add, IMHO each ram needs to look in the mirror and ask what they can do to make( their) team better.

Jan 6, 2020
This is a good question, and since you must have a strong background in basketball, could you explain how MR responded after losing to URI the first time this season? Or after not pulling off any signature wins away from home all season? Or after watching the seniors (minus DJ) underperform for basically the entire season? How have we regressed on defense since last year against a weaker overall schedule, and how has our offensive scheme stayed stale since last year? Or after consistently getting beat on the boards over and over all year? What was his response to all of that? I ask because I can’t clearly see what effective responses he’s made except to recruit new guys (who do look promising) and you say you know your stuff. I guess, how do you excuse all of that stuff?
That's a great question. Last year they were consistently a top 5 defensive efficient team in America. A lot of games last year they pulled out at the last minute. This year they've been 25-35 kenpom and it shows. Wilson getting wide open dunks the other night with no one within an 8 foot distance of him is unacceptable. They want that baseline drive because they want MSS sliding to help say DJ...now you've got the sideline as an invisible line, DJ and MSS trying to ball hawk the O man...they want the longest pass on the court thrown so that they can recover, close out low, high hands....generally by this time you're so deep in the shot clock that you force them to take a contested shot or a long 3...both of those we'll take..percentage is on our side. We have been killed on oboards this year...if you didn't box out where I come from...someone checking in instantly to get you..either put a box on a body or sit. It's something crazy like 1st oboard 25 percent chance of going in, they shoot again and another...upwards of 50 percent, a 3rd oboard? close to 80 PERCENT going in...how many 2-3 oboard attempts have we seen this year? That goes back to defense, that wasn't happening last year. I agree with you that on some of these Dayton 22-0 run, Mason 16-0 run, you've got to call that 30 to readjust and stop momentum....I also understand the side that IF you play the D you can, let's weather the storm and grind it out. You know how good it feels to know when you're coach says "nope, I have full faith in you to weather this storm" as a player? There's something to be said there, but I do see your point. There is no excuse for missed free throws or pulling up from 3 (they missed 6 in the last 2 minutes the other night and lost 5) No one on this team should have the green light to steph curry it, not even bones. We need quality possessions (see our MADE percentage on assisted baskets...) where everyone is touching the ball and moving it to make the D move...DJ looks for a HIGH LOW to MSS almost every time he gets the ball. People forget when we are in our fast break, we've got MSS trailing, don't just pull up, even if D sets, and MSS trailing we're still in what's known as secondary fast break (also known as UNC secondary break)...watch when MSS trails, he will come and set that seal his man looking for high low. We also can't have scoring droughts...the other night they went about 6 mins with no scoring...unacceptable. I guess my points are that it's not as easy to say it's this or that and blame MR...they do a LOT of good things, but they've also digressed in other areas they excelled last year.

Reactions: mrgeode and PRock

waterssr

Top Member
Aug 15, 2012

LSU lost to a team that had 0 conference wins (and had lost 26 conference games in a row) 10 days ago. I agree it's concerning, but it does just happen sometimes.

VCU85

Top Member
Jan 26, 2016
LSU lost to a team that had 0 conference wins (and had lost 26 conference games in a row) 10 days ago. I agree it's concerning, but it does just happen sometimes.
Of course it happens. The issues are the statistics that keep occurring every game, poor rebounding, not boxing out, erratic 3 point shooting, spotty foul shooting (the last few games they've definitely done better though in that metric ).