The state of Ramnation

Hoos A Ram

Insider
Nov 5, 2009
Perspective...if you recall...the season below ended 'okay'. That is all.
View attachment 8087
I get the desire to be hopeful, but we gotta stop leaning on 2011 as a crutch. It was a different season with a different schedule playing different teams with other teams also being different with different schedules as well. These things don't happen in a vacuum. There's teams every year that are supposed to be good but for some reason or another things don't pan out. Heck, look at UNC this year.

2011 was amazing, I loved every moment and the lows made the highs better when it was all said and done. But at some point we need to stop saying "but that one time..." Hopefully we end up with similar magic this year but at some point we've got to let it go a bit.

ISwamRam

Top Member
Apr 20, 2009
I get the desire to be hopeful, but we gotta stop leaning on 2011 as a crutch. It was a different season with a different schedule playing different teams with other teams also being different with different schedules as well. These things don't happen in a vacuum. There's teams every year that are supposed to be good but for some reason or another things don't pan out. Heck, look at UNC this year.

2011 was amazing, I loved every moment and the lows made the highs better when it was all said and done. But at some point we need to stop saying "but that one time..." Hopefully we end up with similar magic this year but at some point we've got to let it go a bit.
Interesting you would take away that I was using 2011 as a crutch. That's wasn't my intent and why I added 'perspective' ...but your response does touch on my intent, which is simply ...anything can happen in the final weeks of the season. I'm not going to write off the entire season b/c of one bad L at home.

I suppose I could have posted a video of one of the famous 0.4 second plays to illustrate my point, too. I went w/ the FF season b/c I remember how bad it sucked watching GMU trounce us and having GMU fans come down and sit in the empty seats left by others.

And that happened 11 years ago. What gets you into the NCAA Tournament is not a static formula from year to year.
9 years, but who's counting ;-) see above...

theyaintwantit

Top Member
Dec 22, 2009
People really need to stop with the final four comparisons everytime we struggle. Yes it was awesome but losing a bunch of games right before March Madness then going on a win streak in your conference tourney to grab a lucky at large bid IS NOT ideally how you go into March Madness
Agreed x 1000. If you are a VCU fan, March 2011 will be something that you will NEVER forget for the rest of your life. But your are right, that sequence of games was such an outlier on how a team typically makes a run to the final four.

At the same time, having a doom and gloom approach to a bad February loss is pretty pathetic too. In the last 36 hours we've seen constant posts on here about how all of our freshman are going to transfer, how we are going to lose our next three games, how the players don't play for our coach anymore, etc.

Winning might not cure all wounds, but it sure does heal a bandage better than losing. I'm feeling a win tomorrow night in the neighboring county.

May 4, 2012
NbbPeople really need to stop with the final four comparisons everytime we struggle. Yes it was awesome but losing a bunch of games right before March Madness then going on a win streak in your conference tourney to grab a lucky at large bid IS NOT ideally how you go into March Madness
That was in the midst of an uptick in our school's stature in D1. So we elevated our game. What some here are concerned about is falling back.

Change is constant and if youre not moving forward then youre moving back.

Apr 19, 2009
I think, and I emphasize I, me, myself, that we are beholden to the brand HAVOC. Yes, when it is working it is an exciting spectacle to watch, but it has some serious flaws over the long haul. When it worked, we still were an relativity obscure program nationally with a player who essentially was the best steal leader, ball hawker in the history of the college game. You just dont EVER replace a Briante Weber, and if one is replicated they dont go to VCU.

We have had 5 coaches in our recent heyday, one is an assistant at Duke, the other four Grant, Wade, Smart, and Rhodes, are Head Coaches. Grant and Wade run more conventional offenses, while Smart and Rhodes are beholden to havoc. Look at the results. Football teams dont run the wishbone and the single wing anymore because everyone has them figured out, havoc has been exposed and figured out.
Smart doesn't press at Texas. Pressing was around and doing well before and after Weber. It is a system, just like every other coach/team has one.

Dr Joe

Top Member
Insider
Oct 12, 2017
We have been and generally are more athletic than many teams we play. That means we tend to see 2/3, 1/3/1 and sometimes 3/2 zones. In all cases the offense has to “throw the ball around” until there is an overload somewhere and and one player gets an open shot. The other basic option is to get the ball to the center who either makes a move or switches sides by kicking the ball to the weak side. There are other possibilities if you have a quick guard who can penetrate into the center hole and kick it out or go up etc. in almost all cases someone does get an open shot but if they do not hit it they ( the team) looks foolish for taking so long. We look really good when we hit our open shots. We look really bad when we miss or take the shot too early. All the coaching in the world doesn’t change the necessity to hit open shots against a zone. We had a superior penetrator last year, unfortunately he is hurt and therefore our options are less. If MSS plays like he has in the last three games we lose another option. IMO we press to give us more options and let our strength control the game. If the pressure fails we have to hit shots or out rebound the opponent. Here’s hoping we hit 45% or higher from 3 and 45% inside against the Spiders!! If not we need to play outstanding defense, which we have and can again!! Go RAMS!!!! Just my opinion.

757RamFan

Top Member
Jul 17, 2016
Easier said than done my friend. I think these guys have a chance of getting it together. Even if we lose to Dayton if we win the rest and two games in the A10 tournament we are a lock in the NCAA.

However, our real issue is can we win a game in the NCAA tournament? We put a lot of resources into our Men's Basketball program as such we expect success.
Yes, air the grievances, get this shyza all out in the open and hopefully reconnect and get some team chemistry going for the tail end of the season

Reactions: BaNgMyPrOgRaM
May 1, 2009
MSS and Bones-I think they would be “major.”
Why would MSS leave. He is a senior next year. He would likely have to sit out next year and then start up in a brand new system. Throughout this season MSS has had plenty of opportunity to showcase his skills and has done a great job. Even against Mason MSS got multiple chances with the ball. MSS has even gotten the opportunity to remove some of the pressure off him in the post with the addition of Corey down low.
Now Bones would only be a sophomore so that would hurt. But he has a wide open door to be the main guy next year and run his own team. Bones could certainly play for a higher level team but he would have to sit a year and even then may not be the main guy depending on where he would go. His playing options are much better at VCU where he gets to run AND help develop his new team.

May 1, 2009
Unless I’m missing something, it looks like MSS’s Uncle deleted all his posts from last night.
Maybe he is the elephant in the room. Doesn't help the team when family members are talking down the team and coaches. But who knows and who cares.

Reactions: RamStrut