The STU feels like Poo

Ramdog

Elite Member
Someone posted on Twitter (I think) the highlights of the home game against StJoes our first year in the A10. The atmosphere was off the charts. a before and after video of that game and tomorrow‘s game would be eye opening...

and yes I know about COVID.

One quick thought on the atmosphere: You've got two new hires really since 2019, Rebecca Piner and Kevin Dwan, who might not be as familiar with our preferred vibe and what made the atmosphere so special back during the Shaka era and through Wade even, what made the Siegel Center as Rothstein says, "More life altering than a 10-day trip to Europe". Rebecca was hired in 2019 and is a South Carolina grad. Dwan is actually an '06 VCU Center for Sport Leadership grad (and a great dude...I worked with him over at UofR when I was doing my externship finishing that same grad program), but has been everywhere but VCU since then. Needless to say, neither was here during the glory days, although Dwan is likely a bit more familiar with it (although when you work in sports administration, it's not like you are chilling at other teams' games in you free time). It's kinda like we've been going to the same barber for 10 years, then all of a sudden that barber is no longer available and you get some new guy and he jacks up your sh** because he doesn't really understand what you like. Maybe those folks just need some help understanding what Ram fans like and what you can't mess with.

Related note: If you go to the game on Saturday, please take videos of the atmosphere and your beefs with it (film promotions, film timeouts, the band, the intros, the dance team, etc) and email them to me at [email protected] or tweet the videos and Tag VCURamNation. I think I'm gonna try and put together a little article on the subject, trying to document how things have fallen off and hopefully we can work toward getting this car out of the ditch and back on the highway.

Edit: I mention Piner and Dwan because as I understand it they are in charge of marketing and promotions. Didn't mention that when I first posted this.
Consulting with Ryan may help. The guy sees things from a different perspective that us average fans.

theyaintwantit

Elite Member
Someone posted on Twitter (I think) the highlights of the home game against StJoes our first year in the A10. The atmosphere was off the charts. a before and after video of that game and tomorrow‘s game would be eye opening...

and yes I know about COVID.
Snow day. Thursday Night. First week of second semester for students (my sophomore year). Facing the preseason #1 and a storied program in St Joes.

AWESOME environment at The Stu

Most electric the Stu had ever been up until the Butler Game.
I remember talking with the SJU section after. They thought this would be the only time they would get visit the STU as they were convinced we would leave for the BE when it reformed and they really wanted to get to experience the arena from what they had heard about it. We were ranked too.

RamStrut

Elite Member
It reminds of Wayne's World the movie when the TV show was great and had all the organic soul of who Wayne and Garth are. Then Benjamin with all the money buys the show and exploits it. The music isn't the same, the bits aren't the same, the sponsors are lame, and the soul is lost. Garth says "Isn't it weird we are looking down on Wayne's basement? Only this isn't Wayne's Basement." It's like "Isn't it weird we are looking down on the Stu? Only this isn't this Stu."

Major Ram 2.0

Elite Member
Mandatory masking not only muffles the fans noise the mask itself doesn’t promote zaniness. You feel restricted and you know you’re about 50% effective so why bother. This is a huge part of the crowd reaction and volume of noise.

SpiderRAM

Elite Member
Insider
Snow day. Thursday Night. First week of second semester for students (my sophomore year). Facing the preseason #1 and a storied program in St Joes.

AWESOME environment at The Stu
That was such a fun game! We unfortunately had to leave early because of the snow and the distance that we live from the arena. Listened on the radio on the way home. And turned on the TV when we got home. Then the power went out. Had to listen on the radio until the end. We were perched on the edge of the sofa listening to that radio. It was awesome.

That was such a fun game! We unfortunately had to leave early because of the snow and the distance that we live from the arena. Listened on the radio on the way home. And turned on the TV when we got home. Then the power went out. Had to listen on the radio until the end. We were perched on the edge of the sofa listening to that radio. It was awesome.
For shame. For shame.

RESRam

Insider
I gotta say I met up with Danny O'Brian recently and loved talking with him. He's a great guy with a TON of connections in hoops and all of our former players love him. I think they had some unique problems to solve when they got here ("hey, how do we actually pay for all this growth and make this sustainable?") and are dealing with some challenges now, but I think they are 100% open to improving. I think my ultimate goal as a fan with a nice resource in VCURamNation.com is to hopefully be a part of the solution. Maybe I'm naive, but I think we all here as diehard fans can make some positive changes happen. All those dudes I've chatted with I believe are actual legit nice human beings and open to making this place great.
Really thought a lot of Danny. Unfortunately, never got a chance to meet him, despite his invitations. He was so thoughtful and kind when he heard of my wife’s situation (in fact so was Ed). Danny reached out to me recently even tho he’s no longer associated with VCU.

Newboy

Elite Member
Insider
I gotta say I met up with Danny O'Brian recently and loved talking with him. He's a great guy with a TON of connections in hoops and all of our former players love him. I think they had some unique problems to solve when they got here ("hey, how do we actually pay for all this growth and make this sustainable?") and are dealing with some challenges now, but I think they are 100% open to improving. I think my ultimate goal as a fan with a nice resource in VCURamNation.com is to hopefully be a part of the solution. Maybe I'm naive, but I think we all here as diehard fans can make some positive changes happen. All those dudes I've chatted with I believe are actual legit nice human beings and open to making this place great.
I would say the atmosphere on Tuesday night was probably the best we had despite the attendance. However we were getting muted on the breaks and it is killing our home court advantage. The Davidson game was probably the first game when I really noticed the difference it makes with the promos, even though it has been going on all year.

Stop the madness, unmute the Stud!